Bucs Think Its Money Well Spent

StudentOfTheGame

These stats for 1 game are sick.

• On four punts, he compiled a gross average of 45.8 yards;
  • Even better, his net average on those punts was 45.0 yards;
  • Vikings punt returner Marcus Sherels had to call for two fair catches and only netted three yards on the two he did return;
  • Two of Koenen’s kickoffs were deep enough to produce touchbacks, and on one of those he had to duplicate his efforts from five yards farther back after someone on the coverage team was flagged for being offside;
  • Two more of his kickoffs were returned, but one only reached the nine-yard line and the other the 10-yard line;
  • His fifth kickoff was a rare successful onside kick.

I remember drafting him in my fantasy league the year he was showing off a big leg making long field goals in preseason. Didn't really pan out in the FG department lol.

But hey, at least you get to see him still...twice a year.

Umm, you realize he wasnt brought here to kick FGs. We have Matt Bryant doing that

Edit: Oh you must be talking about Koenen. Thought you meant Bosher

Edited by The Falcon Jedi Knight

These stats for 1 game are sick.

• On four punts, he compiled a gross average of 45.8 yards;
  • Even better, his net average on those punts was 45.0 yards;
  • Vikings punt returner Marcus Sherels had to call for two fair catches and only netted three yards on the two he did return;
  • Two of Koenen’s kickoffs were deep enough to produce touchbacks, and on one of those he had to duplicate his efforts from five yards farther back after someone on the coverage team was flagged for being offside;
  • Two more of his kickoffs were returned, but one only reached the nine-yard line and the other the 10-yard line;
  • His fifth kickoff was a rare successful onside kick.

Heck, his 2 game totals are every bit as impressive (49.3 avg / 45.2 net). Only allowed 37 total return yards on his 9 punts. That's a friggin 4.1 yard return avg. Okay, only 2 games in, but dang...already 9 punts. That's still pretty consistent.

Umm, you realize he wasnt brought here to kick FGs. We have Matt Bryant doing that

Edit: Oh you must be talking about Koenen. Thought you meant Bosher

Haha, yeah, not Bosher. But even back then Koenen was really your punter right? But he was kicking in the preseason, and they tried using him in the regular season for the 50+ yard FGs. Didn't stick with that plan if I remember correctly.

Haha, yeah, not Bosher. But even back then Koenen was really your punter right? But he was kicking in the preseason, and they tried using him in the regular season for the 50+ yard FGs. Didn't stick with that plan if I remember correctly.

Koenen was our kickoff kicker and punter. He was an emergency long-distance fg kicker but he sucked at that. Thank god for Matt Bryant, or we would have been screwed.

Koenen was our kickoff kicker and punter. He was an emergency long-distance fg kicker but he sucked at that. Thank god for Matt Bryant, or we would have been screwed.

Koenen did start the 2006 season as the FG kicker after he had a perfect preseason doing so. In the regular season, Koenen missed started 3 of 9 in the first few games, and that was when the Falcons brought back Morten Anderson.

Koenen would not have helped us against the Bears. Bosher almost cost us the Philly game, but we overcame him. So as of right now we would not have really benefitted from Koenen being here. We would still be 1-1 either way.

Well the thing is if we kept him and signed him for the money he wanted me might not have been able to get edwards or keep both our FA olinemen, So we may be 0-2. He simply wanted to much for a punter as good as he is but he was also not performing as well the last 2 years.

Edited by SYD

Koenen was great for us for awhile, but last year he did not look too good. I haven't looked at the stats, but I remember that he was nowhere near as good last year. Some of his kickoffs were the worst I've ever seen. I was trying to figure out if the coaching staff wanted him to kick it very short., because they were so bad.

No way TD was going to pay him anywhere near what he got and not signing him allowed us to sign other players.

Well the thing is if we kept him and signed him for the money he wanted me might not have been able to get edwards or keep both our FA olinemen, So we may be 0-2. He simply wanted to much for a punter as good as he is but he was also not performing as well the last 2 years.

It's not a matter of what he wanted. It was a matter of what they knew he would command.

The Falcons didn't even negotiate with Koenen. They made a tactical decision to go with a minimum wage punter this year because they had other obvious needs.

It doesn't mean they didn't think he was "worth" it. I mean.......they made the guy the franchise player two years in a row for a reason.

With the new rules this year, there will be 20+ kickers tied for 1st on touchbacks this year with Bosher at 32

Nah, that's not the case at all.

Janikowski and Prater are the only guys at 100% right now and Prater won't be after he goes on the road.

Leage wide, the TB percentage is still less than 50% so far.

You might be right about Bosher.....but right now he is hanging tough at 31st.

Give bosher time to develop and by the way what Koenen made was way to much for a punter.

Exactly. We would have kept Koenen but not for that price. I don't blame Koenen for taking the money the same as I don't blame the Falcons for paying him that much. Give the rook some time, he only shanked one punt, made a great play on a high snap as the holder for an extra point, and made a pretty solid tackle in the last game. He's the punter. He wouldn't be as much of a factor if our offense scored more, which I expect them to do.

Exactly. We would have kept Koenen but not for that price. I don't blame Koenen for taking the money the same as I don't blame the Falcons for paying him that much. Give the rook some time, he only shanked one punt, made a great play on a high snap as the holder for an extra point, and made a pretty solid tackle in the last game. He's the punter. He wouldn't be as much of a factor if our offense scored more, which I expect them to do.

The offense scored 5 TDs Sunday night, how much do you expect them to score?

Bosher is gonna kick better soon or he is going to move on. When you are the worst in the league, you get replaced.