Falcons Rapid Reports: Sept. 21

theProf

Latest Falcons RapidReports

11 minutes ago - by Scott Purks - Facing gauntlet, LT Penn focused on Abraham

LT Donald Penn on facing three of the league's best defensive ends -- Minnesota's Jared Allen, Atlanta's John Abraham and Indianapolis's Dwight Freeney -- on consecutive weeks: "These three weeks might be my toughest three weeks in the league. I'll take it game by game and focus on Abraham (this Sunday)." Buccaneers RapidReports

13 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Falcons open up competition in secondary

Coach Mike Smith said there is an open competition for the nickel spot between CB’s Christopher Owens and Kelvin Hayden, and at the safety spot between S James Sanders and S Thomas DeCoud. Falcons RapidReports

1 minute ago - by Knox Bardeen - Injury report: Ryan limited

Did not participate: DT Jonathan Babineaux (knee) and CB Kelvin Hayden (hamstring); Limited participation: C Todd McClure (knee), WR Roddy White (thigh), DE Ray Edwards (foot), and QB Matt Ryan (knee); Full participation: DT Corey Peters (back) and S Shann Schillinger (neck). Falcons RapidReports

1 minute ago - by Knox Bardeen - Smith: Faking injuries to slow offense is not OK

Coach Mike Smith, whose team uses the hurry-up offense with regularity, on the topic of faking injuries to stop a hurry-up offense: “I believe that you shouldn’t feign injuries. It's something that we don’t do.” Falcons RapidReports

An hour ago - by Knox Bardeen - RB Turner happy to be decoy to open game for others

RB Michael Turner on being more effective in the passing attack this season: “As long as Matt (Ryan) keeps checking it down to me and I keep making big plays out of it, they’re going to start to guard me a little more. That will open things up for Tony (Gonzalez), Roddy (White) and Julio (Jones).” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 3:22 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Turner says give him the ball

RB Michael Turner said he’s at his best when he gets consistent carries throughout the game: “The more I touch it, the more I feel comfortable in the game, and eventually I’m going to break one.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 3:19 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Ryan sees continued growth among Bucs DL

QB Matt Ryan said he’s impressed with the defensive line Tampa Bay has put together in the draft over the past two seasons and can tell they’re improving: “When you watch tape on some of the guys from last year to this year, they’ve improved. And they’re only going to get better because they’re young.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 3:15 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Ryan, Gonzalez communicate at every opportunity

QB Matt Ryan and TE Tony Gonzalez speak both on the field and in practice and film sessions about specific moments when Gonzalez can expose weaknesses in the opposing defenses: “He (Gonzalez) tells me all the time, ‘If I get this guy in this position, put it up there and I’ll come down with it.’” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 3:07 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Ryan: Familiarity makes no-huddle work

QB Matt Ryan on why the Falcons are successful using the no-huddle offense: “We practice that every day. We’ve got guys who have been in the system for a long time and understand how we’re going to operate in those situations. We’ve been together for a long time so there’s a familiarity with each other.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 3:05 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Ryan says experience breeds success with no-huddle offense

QB Matt Ryan on why the Falcons are successful using the no-huddle offense: “We practice that every day. We’ve got guys who have been in the system for a long time and understand how we’re going to operate in those situations. We’ve been together for a long time so there’s a familiarity with each other.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 3:04 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - RB Turner much improved over last season catching the ball

RB Michael Turner had only 34 career receptions entering this year. He has four already in 2011 and a 32-yard reception Sunday that was his career longest. Turner has caught more than four passes just three times in his seven-year career, but now seems to be doing more with the opportunities he gets to catch the ball. Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 3:04 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Ryan feels the pain but shrugs it off

QB Matt Ryan said that his body is sore after Sunday’s game against the Eagles, but not abnormally sore. He also said his knee, that he seemed to tweak, was not an issue: “I’m feeling better today than I was earlier in the week. My body feels like a typical Wednesday after a physical game.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 2:59 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Gonzalez expects Bucs to target him

TE Tony Gonzalez on Tampa Bay being ready for him: “After the game I played last week, I’m sure Tampa is going to have something ready for me. That’s fine, Julio (Jones) is going to have some plays and Roddy (White) is one of the best receivers in the league.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 21, 2011 2:13 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Gonzalez: WRs White and Jones help the TEs

TE Tony Gonzalez said that he and RB Michael Turner have benefitted from the way defenses defend against WR’s Roddy White and Julio Jones this year: “Absolutely. That’s the beauty of it. The ideal offense is a good, balanced team where the defense doesn’t know who’s getting the ball.” Falcons RapidReports

http://www.cbssports...eports/team/ATL

I like Turner in the passing game as well. That will definitely open it up for other players, but mainly making the linebackers more aware of the threat from the backfield. This would open the middle of the field for crossing routes (if used) by the WRs, or for Tony G.

lol crossing routes by mularkey?

that would be smart and MM is anything but smart

Did not participate: DT Jonathan Babineaux (knee) and CB Kelvin Hayden (hamstring); Limited participation: C Todd McClure (knee), WR Roddy White (thigh), DE Ray Edwards (foot), and QB Matt Ryan (knee); Full participation: DT Corey Peters (back) and S Shann Schillinger (neck). Falcons RapidReports

1 minute ago - by Knox Bardeen - Smith: Faking injuries to slow offense is not OK

Coach Mike Smith, whose team uses the hurry-up offense with regularity, on the topic of faking injuries to stop a hurry-up offense: “I believe that you shouldn’t feign injuries. It's something that we don’t do.” Falcons RapidReports

From a Matt Ryan interview with Jay Adams today:

On how he feels after a physical game on Sunday night:

“I’m feeling better today than I was earlier in the week. That was a physical game, I think, for everybody Sunday night. It’s that time of the year. You’re going to take all six, seven days to get ready for the next week.”

Rapid Reports also added the following:

He also said his knee, that he seemed to tweak, was not an issue.

Great to see Corey Peters back at full participation. I was concerned that he might have reinjured his knee Sunday night.

11 minutes ago - by Scott Purks - Facing gauntlet, LT Penn focused on Abraham

LT Donald Penn on facing three of the league's best defensive ends -- Minnesota's Jared Allen, Atlanta's John Abraham and Indianapolis's Dwight Freeney -- on consecutive weeks: "These three weeks might be my toughest three weeks in the league. I'll take it game by game and focus on Abraham (this Sunday)." Buccaneers RapidReports

13 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Falcons open up competition in secondary

Coach Mike Smith said there is an open competition for the nickel spot between CB’s Christopher Owens and Kelvin Hayden, and at the safety spot between S James Sanders and S Thomas DeCoud. Falcons RapidReports

What would be great as well is to see McClure back at full participation the next two days.

I believe this is the first time since the knee injury in preseason that McClure has even had "limited participation" in practice. Full participation by the end of the week would really be great.

Checking the injuries that matter most

September, 21, 2011

5:40

By Pat Yasinskas

Let’s take a look at the most significant injuries around the NFC South.

There is potentially good news for the Atlanta Falcons’ offensive line. Center Todd McClure, who missed the first two games with a knee injury, returned to practice on a limited basis Wednesday. If McClure is ready to go Sunday, he’ll step right back into the lineup ahead of Joe Hawley. The Falcons also placed quarterback Matt Ryan on the injured list and said he had a knee injury. But Ryan was able to practice on a limited basis. Defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux (knee) did not practice and is expected to be out several more weeks. Cornerback Kelvin Hayden, who moved ahead of Chris Owens at nickel back last week, sat out practice with a hamstring injury.

We're just getting started with the possibilities with this offense!

Yep! It's in it's infancy folks. Quizz had a couple of nice touches in the Philly game too! If....if the d can tighten up and this offense can gel in the next few weeks it's going to be another nice season. That D though, boy they have some talent out there with Hayden and Sanders now, can't figure out what is wrong with them. Cover 2 is a sound philosophy, why can't this staff make it work?

Great to see Corey Peters back at full participation. I was concerned that he might have reinjured his knee Sunday night.

The reason I thought Peters might had reinjured his knee was from a Ledbetter article on Monday as follows:

"Injury report

Cornerback Kelvin Hayden (hamstring) and defensive tackle Corey Peters (knee/leg) left the game with injuries. Christopher Owens took over for Hayden."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/rewind-falcons-won-heavyweight-1184351.html

Sept. 21, 2011 2:13 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Gonzalez: WRs White and Jones help the TEs

TE Tony Gonzalez said that he and RB Michael Turner have benefitted from the way defenses defend against WR’s Roddy White and Julio Jones this year: “Absolutely. That’s the beauty of it. The ideal offense is a good, balanced team where the defense doesn’t know who’s getting the ball.” Falcons RapidReports

Even if Julio is not putting up gawdy receiving statistics yet, don't underestimate his value to the team. Opposing teams have to game plan for Julio. They can't single cover Julio every play like they did Jenkins. Julio is helping to get other players open, unlike Jenkins. The Falcons desperately needed a #2 receiver who was feared, and I believe they got it with Jones. If the OL could just give Ryan a little more time to pass, then I believe we would be seeing an offensive explosion.

Coach Mike Smith said there is an open competition for the nickel spot between CB’s Christopher Owens and Kelvin Hayden, and at the safety spot between SJames Sanders and S Thomas DeCoud. Falcons RapidReports

We could be seeing the last of these 2 if they don't get their act together. Surprised about DeCoud's fall from grace, but Owens might not survive the year.

glad to see mcclure is practicing. gives me hope he will be back this week or next.

Falcons | Todd McClure hopes to play against Bucs

Thu, 22 Sep 2011 00:15:18 -0700

Atlanta Falcons C Todd McClure (knee) was back on the field Wednesday, Sept. 21, for the first time since having minor knee surgery during the preseason. While limited during practice, he hopes to return to the lineup in Week 3 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/7/NFL

Haha, Turner is awful on checkdowns in Madden. Dont expect anything other than the ball hitting him in the back of the head on a 4th and 3 arrow route. Good to see him getting a little more involved in the passing game, hope its not an anomaly. Rice, McCoy, Charles, Peterson, Johnson, Gore and Westbrook (in the past) show what a weapon a RB w/ good hands can be. A RB that can catch out of the backfield is like a college dual-threat QB. Deflating for the defense, and puts alot more on their plate. Always a good thing.

Turner being more of a passing target does wonders for our offense.

With him looking more fluid and being an actual threat that is yet another weapon in a stacked passing game and makes DC's in the nfl do a double take at plans.

I mean with him being a good pass catches to go along with his blocking ( which is HIGHLY underrated) we become even more unpredictable.

My absolute favorite thing about this team right now has to be when players get questioned about teams guarding them they immediately shrug it off and accept the extra attention. Not because because they claim to be able to beat the coverage, but rather because it excites them that their team members will get better opportunities.