Tony Gonzalez--Better In 2011?

falcndave

Was Tony banged up last year, or are we seeing the effects of Julio Jones and Harry Douglas? Could it be that teams can no longer affort to cover him with a DB on a regular basis, let alone double team him?

Do some believe it was just one game? (He did have a decent week 1)

I think you nailed it right there, he is not always in bracket coverage now ......

I actually got a good answer on this but no link.....sorry. I heard during the preseason that last year Tony G worked on strength and things to make him durable thru the season. This year he focused on speed during the offseason. He said he wanted to be able to stretch the field like he use to. He said he was tired of hearing people say he lost a step. Not sure how he did it(speed trainer or what) but he looks faster and better than ever!!!! I love this guy!

I actually got a good answer on this but no link.....sorry. I heard during the preseason that last year Tony G worked on strength and things to make him durable thru the season. This year he focused on speed during the offseason. He said he wanted to be able to stretch the field like he use to. He said he was tired of hearing people say he lost a step. Not sure how he did it(speed trainer or what) but he looks faster and better than ever!!!! I love this guy!

He changed his offseason workout to get more burst. That may be it.

Thanks for the info. To me he is looking more athletic this year. Even during the preseason he looked like he had aged backwards. Nothing Julio and Harry can do to help him come down with that catch. That's all Tony. Best of all, he's only one weapon.

Same Gonzo, the coverage is different. I said it many times last season, Gonzo would get bracketed by multiple defenders. In the passing game, teams were covering Roddy and Gonzo last season. It's starting to look like teams are already beginning to move their coverage to Roddy and Julio now. TB said they are going to be ready for Gonzo this week. That means either Julio or Roddy will be one on one, more than likely it will be Julio.

I am hoping to see Harry Douglas more involved this week as well. I'd like to see us test Tampa's depth at CB. I'd also like to see us force them into playing more Nickel while Turner runs the ball at them. They are ranked 31st against the rush this season after playing Detroit and Minnesota, giving up 4.6 yards per carry.