Got All These Offensive Weapons And No Time To Throw It To Em!

mashedpotato

I hope we get our O-line problems fixed! It irritates me that Matt has no time to throw the ball downfield. I watch Drew Brees throw it deep to Devery Henderson and no one is even close to him. He can actually step into the throw. People are only rushing four people against us and collapsing the entire pocket. This is gonna be our weakness this whole season. If we don't get it fixed, Matt will get hurt soon. Coaches talk about how we drafted Julio so we could make more explosive plays. It's never gonna happen unless we can give Matt some time to let those deep routes develop. Good news though, McCLure will be back soon, and he is the leader of the offensive line. He makes a ton of protection calls and he should help a lot. I hope so, we need him bad.

Edited by mashedpotato

I hope we get our O-line problems fixed! It irritates me that Matt has no time to throw the ball downfield. I watch Drew Brees throw it deep to Devery Henderson and no one is even close to him. He can actually step into the throw. People are only rushing four people against us and collapsing the entire pocket. This is gonna be our weakness this whole season. If we don't get it fixed, Matt will get hurt soon. Coaches talk about how we drafted Julio so we could make more explosive plays. It's never gonna happen unless we can give Matt some time to let those deep routes develop. Good news though, McCLure will be back soon, and he is the leader of the offensive line. He makes a ton of protection calls and he should help a lot. I hope so, we need him bad.

TBH for example, on the play Ryan got twisted like a pretzel, there were 3 receivers on routes, when Ryan got set to throw NEITHER receiver had yet to come out of their break. by that time the blitzer that Turner blocked had made his way around back to Ryan and all the receivers were covered up. maybe we need routes that develop quicker when facing an aggressive front

...maybe we need routes that develop quicker when facing an aggressive front

More Quizz! Sproles has 15 receptions with 7.9 avg. Ryan Mathews has 10 with 13.5 avg. Tolbert has 17 with 7.7 avg. They are tearing it up our of the backfield. Quizz has...3. That threat out of the backfield will allow receivers to run some longer routes and still keep the defense honest. It gives Matty a quick outlet so he don't get hit so much. And it works especially well when you have a good QB, great TEs, and great wideouts...all of which the Saints, Chargers, and Falcons have.

More Quizz! Sproles has 15 receptions with 7.9 avg. Ryan Mathews has 10 with 13.5 avg. Tolbert has 17 with 7.7 avg. They are tearing it up our of the backfield. Quizz has...3. That threat out of the backfield will allow receivers to run some longer routes and still keep the defense honest. It gives Matty a quick outlet so he don't get hit so much. And it works especially well when you have a good QB, great TEs, and great wideouts...all of which the Saints, Chargers, and Falcons have.

we pretty much done gave up calling for screen passes or using all the weapons in the arsenal. we got Kerry Meier, Weems, Quizz, Ovie lives open in the flat, Palmer has nice hands but we don't use em. but hey, maybe this magical playbook I've been hearing about might get opened sometime this season

that would definitely help. snelling has been solid but i'd love to see quizz get a couple of those check down passes and some screens.

i think we'll be seeing more of him in the coming weeks. he was in the game during crunch time on sunday.

I look for more playing time for Quiz. Particularly, after last game where he looked comfortable passblocking. Getting him involved in short screens and draws will keep the DLine at bay a bit more. The real downfall of a back like Turner is that he is one-dimensional.

Perhaps that could be used to your advantage. Look at Tolbert in San Diego. He's not exactly a receiving back lol. Heck, he had 25 total receptions last year, and never more than 17 in previous years. In 2 games this year he already has 17. If he just catches his average next week he'll already match his career high.

Anywho, outside of screens, it'd be nice to see Quizz in designed routes out of the backfield and motioned into the slot or out wide. LBs can't blitz when they have to cover RB routes out of the backfield, which in essence is just as good as a back blocking a blitzing LB. Also, you have big receivers who can block very, very well downfield (like the Chargers and Saints).

Perhaps that could be used to your advantage. Look at Tolbert in San Diego. He's not exactly a receiving back lol. Heck, he had 25 total receptions last year, and never more than 17 in previous years. In 2 games this year he already has 17. If he just catches his average next week he'll already match his career high.

Anywho, outside of screens, it'd be nice to see Quizz in designed routes out of the backfield and motioned into the slot or out wide. LBs can't blitz when they have to cover RB routes out of the backfield, which in essence is just as good as a back blocking a blitzing LB. Also, you have big receivers who can block very, very well downfield (like the Chargers and Saints).

bottom line, we don't have an OC with a creative mind like Payton. if we were to give our offense to Payton as is, we'd easily be a top 3 offense, even with Sam Baker. Payton & Brees make the Saints line look better than what it is

bottom line, we don't have an OC with a creative mind like Payton. if we were to give our offense to Payton as is, we'd easily be a top 3 offense, even with Sam Baker. Payton & Brees make the Saints line look better than what it is

supposedly Mularkey is supposed to be one of the most creative Offensive minds in the league. I don't see it though. He looks very conservative and vanilla to me as long as he's been here.

Quizz, Turner and Snelling have 13 receptions for 145 yards and an 11.2 ypr average. Turner has an 18.0 ypr average. Together they are on pace for 104 receptions this year. That's enough checkdowns for us.

Quizz, Turner and Snelling have 13 receptions for 145 yards and an 11.2 ypr average. Turner has an 18.0 ypr average. Together they are on pace for 104 receptions this year. That's enough checkdowns for us.

I said more Quizz, not more checkdowns to backs. Quizz only has 3 catches in two games. And only 5 carries. There's a big difference between checkdowns and utilizing your back on designed routes. I'm not talking about having your backs slip out if they have nobody to pick up, then the QB checking down after he's gone through all other progressions. Quizz has a unique talent set that can set defenses back on their heels and cause them to play cautious. And the Falcons have the good QB, WRs, and TEs that others have to respect that opens up a lot of space for a back like Quizz. What you've been seeing so far are checkdowns to backs as last resort because your QB is getting killed and pressured like crazy. Not at all what I'm talking about.

I said more Quizz, not more checkdowns to backs. Quizz only has 3 catches in two games. And only 5 carries. There's a big difference between checkdowns and utilizing your back on designed routes. I'm not talking about having your backs slip out if they have nobody to pick up, then the QB checking down after he's gone through all other progressions. Quizz has a unique talent set that can set defenses back on their heels and cause them to play cautious. And the Falcons have the good QB, WRs, and TEs that others have to respect that opens up a lot of space for a back like Quizz. What you've been seeing so far are checkdowns to backs as last resort because your QB is getting killed and pressured like crazy. Not at all what I'm talking about.

Dayum , a ain'ts fan that knows something about football..........nice to have you on board

sam

Id like to see quizz on more draws and screens but how about jones on a bubble screen

He's quick and big, so yeah, I'd try it. Roddy is huge and a great blocker, and you could easily split Tony out while not tipping off your play. Also saw Quizz in the slot a few times last game. Can bubble with him too.

I look for more playing time for Quiz. Particularly, after last game where he looked comfortable passblocking. Getting him involved in short screens and draws will keep the DLine at bay a bit more. The real downfall of a back like Turner is that he is one-dimensional.

I can't tell from the last two games. MT is showing another dimension(receiving) and Quizz needs more attempts as well.

MT is the one player every team game plans for against us and adding some receptions will make MT and "O" more effective.

Plus, MM will actually commit to it consistently if MT keeps it up(receiving).