Profootballtalk.com Mentions Something I Thought About At The Game

ltstorm2

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/20/league-could-fine-for-faking-injuries-if-it-could-be-proven/

When I was watching the game, there were two different times when a player from the Eagles looked to have faked an injury to get an " Injury Timeout" to gameplan.

One was early in the game when Brent Celek caught a pass near the sidelines. He gets up takes two or three steps towards the sidelines with no limp or anything then points to someone on the sideline and then flops down, he sits there for a few moments then pops back up like nothings wrong and comes back in the game.

Then when we were on offense and we running our no huddle some defensive guy was behind our line of scrimmage all the way on the sideline but just couldn't make it off the field. The trainers come out to look at him and he pushes himself off the turf with his hands and lands on his feet. I just find it amazing that a player was sooooo hurt that he couldn't make it off the field then is healthy enough to jump up like that and walk off.

Its probably nothing, but I wouldn't put it past Andy Reid at all to try and cheat like that.

Good article, but it looks like teams who want to exploit this angle will be able to do so whenever they want. The advantages which you can get are obvious and I think we'll see more and more of this until the league puts more teeth into the rule's enforcement. Seeing players flopping around feigning injury is a far greater disservice to the game than an over-zealous end-zone celebration after a TD. This crap should be nipped in the bud and stopped now before it gets to be like a soccer drama.

Maclin I think was being a drama queen.

Celek, I don't know what happened there, but I can't see any motivation for him to fake an injury. It just wouldn't make sense to me.

I think Vick got rattled on that play, so Celek getting injured would buy time for Vick to recover and not miss a play. that would be the motivation.

I think Vick got rattled on that play, so Celek getting injured would buy time for Vick to recover and not miss a play. that would be the motivation.

I just don't think that is what happened. I think Celek got one of those hits where the pain comes to you several seconds later. I mean, if Vick truly was rattled on the play, I would think insuring he was OK would be more important than him not missing a play.

Usually when teams fake injuries it is on defense when they want to slow down a no huddle offense, or on offense when they are trying to preserve time.

Maclin faked his to make sure he got a flag, which I guess is a 3rd good reason.