Why Vick Won't Lead Eagles To A Super Bowl

wonderboy09

http://aol.sportingn...sec1_lnk2|97065

In the most predictable moment of the NFL season, Michael Vick was injured Sunday. Fear not, Eagles fans. All is going according to Andy Reid’s plan.

Get the injury out of the way early, then have Vick back and raring to go when it matters.

The only problem is what happened in Atlanta’s 35-31 win is going to happen again. Even with all his maturation, Vick will always be Vick. And I mean that strictly in a football sense.

Him wobbling off the field spitting blood had nothing to do with karma. Though I’m pretty sure every dog watching Sunday Night Football jumped up and high-fived its owner.

Vick’s concussion has everything to do with the Eagles’ Super Bowl plan. I don’t really think an early injury is part of it, but that makes about as much sense as the three-step strategy Reid apparently has in mind. Spend billions on skill-position players and defensive backs. Donate the remaining 39 cents to constructing an offensive line. Expect Vick to evolve into Steve Young.

No wonder Rex Grossman swears the Redskins will win the NFC East.

This isn’t just an easy case of Monday Morning Quarterbacking. People were pointing out the risks before Philadelphia signed Vick to that $100-million contract.

When it comes to reading defenses, staying in the pocket and making his parole meetings, Vick has progressed far beyond where most thought he’d be.

But that QB Gone Wild gene will always lurk, transforming him into a running back. Vick naturally says no big deal. He can take the hits.

There’s a reason, however, running backs have the shortest career span (2.57 years, according the NFLPA) in the league. The hits take a toll on the body.

And the wildness eventually comes back to bite an offense.Ask the Falcons which QB they’d rather have, the current one or his predecessor. Matt Ryan gives you 1/10th the thrills but 10 times the dependability of Vick.

There are other reasons Vick is no longer in Atlanta, of course.

Sunday night’s big story line got a boost last week when ex-coach Dan Reeves offered his thoughts on the cold, heartless Falcons.

“When Mike really needed them they turned their back on him in my opinion,” he told PhillySportsDaily.com. “They could have been a big supporter and they let him go.”

Let’s see, Vick lied to owner Arthur Blank. He caused the biggest PR nightmare in NFL history. He got $16 million in bonus money from Blank, who sent him encouraging letters in prison. He was there for almost two years.

What were the Falcons supposed to do, try to move on from the disaster and draft Ryan? Or stick with Byron Leftwich until Vick could get out and try to resurrect his career?

He’s done an amazing job of that. Nobody fathomed Vick would have one turnover in his first seven games as a starter last year. Then defenses started figuring him out.

That doesn’t mean they stopped him. They just started going blitz-crazy, which triggers Vick’s wild gene. Defenses are willing to give up the occasional highlight-reel play since those plays are also Open Season on Vick.

He’s turned it over 12 times in the past seven regular-season games. In Philly’s opener he was hit 11 times, which is about how many times Tom Brady gets leveled in a season.

The Falcons went after Vick so hard you’d have thought PETA had a bounty on his head. He had three fumbles (lost two) and an interception before getting knocked out of the game in the third quarter.

In keeping with the evening’s Prodigal QB theme, Atlanta fans booed Vick as he walked to the locker room to be checked out. He pointed to the scoreboard, which at the time had the Eagles up by 10 points.

Vick should have pointed to his offensive line and asked Reid what he’s thinking. There’s a rookie at center and only one starter is his position from 2010.

Of course in 2010 the Eagles had Kevin Kolb as a backup. Now they have a gimpy Vince Young and Mike Kafka. Sorry, but I can’t resist calling it a Kafkaesque situation.

It’s nightmarish and poses almost surreal threats to Philadelphia’s grand plans. Reid could counter that Green Bay won it all last year and did it despite Aaron Rodgers sustaining two concussions in the regular season.

But no quarterback lives in the line of fire like Vick. If it’s not a concussion, the Eagles’ $100-million Man will bruise his ribs or tweak a knee or worse.

Those cold, heartless Falcons can tell them. That’s no way to get to a Super Bowl.

For me this article sums it up pretty much. On any Sunday the chances of Vick finishing a game versus a "Regular" QB are not very high. And we have experienced that. Now, time to move it on to the Buccaneers! RISE UP!

Edited by wonderboy09

http://aol.sportingn...sec1_lnk2|97065

In the most predictable moment of the NFL season, Michael Vick was injured Sunday. Fear not, Eagles fans. All is going according to Andy Reid’s plan.

Get the injury out of the way early, then have Vick back and raring to go when it matters.

The only problem is what happened in Atlanta’s 35-31 win is going to happen again. Even with all his maturation, Vick will always be Vick. And I mean that strictly in a football sense.

Him wobbling off the field spitting blood had nothing to do with karma. Though I’m pretty sure every dog watching Sunday Night Football jumped up and high-fived its owner.

Vick’s concussion has everything to do with the Eagles’ Super Bowl plan. I don’t really think an early injury is part of it, but that makes about as much sense as the three-step strategy Reid apparently has in mind. Spend billions on skill-position players and defensive backs. Donate the remaining 39 cents to constructing an offensive line. Expect Vick to evolve into Steve Young.

No wonder Rex Grossman swears the Redskins will win the NFC East.

This isn’t just an easy case of Monday Morning Quarterbacking. People were pointing out the risks before Philadelphia signed Vick to that $100-million contract.

When it comes to reading defenses, staying in the pocket and making his parole meetings, Vick has progressed far beyond where most thought he’d be.

But that QB Gone Wild gene will always lurk, transforming him into a running back. Vick naturally says no big deal. He can take the hits.

There’s a reason, however, running backs have the shortest career span (2.57 years, according the NFLPA) in the league. The hits take a toll on the body.

And the wildness eventually comes back to bite an offense.Ask the Falcons which QB they’d rather have, the current one or his predecessor. Matt Ryan gives you 1/10th the thrills but 10 times the dependability of Vick.

There are other reasons Vick is no longer in Atlanta, of course.

Sunday night’s big story line got a boost last week when ex-coach Dan Reeves offered his thoughts on the cold, heartless Falcons.

“When Mike really needed them they turned their back on him in my opinion,” he told PhillySportsDaily.com. “They could have been a big supporter and they let him go.”

Let’s see, Vick lied to owner Arthur Blank. He caused the biggest PR nightmare in NFL history. He got $16 million in bonus money from Blank, who sent him encouraging letters in prison. He was there for almost two years.

What were the Falcons supposed to do, try to move on from the disaster and draft Ryan? Or stick with Byron Leftwich until Vick could get out and try to resurrect his career?

He’s done an amazing job of that. Nobody fathomed Vick would have one turnover in his first seven games as a starter last year. Then defenses started figuring him out.

That doesn’t mean they stopped him. They just started going blitz-crazy, which triggers Vick’s wild gene. Defenses are willing to give up the occasional highlight-reel play since those plays are also Open Season on Vick.

He’s turned it over 12 times in the past seven regular-season games. In Philly’s opener he was hit 11 times, which is about how many times Tom Brady gets leveled in a season.

The Falcons went after Vick so hard you’d have thought PETA had a bounty on his head. He had three fumbles (lost two) and an interception before getting knocked out of the game in the third quarter.

In keeping with the evening’s Prodigal QB theme, Atlanta fans booed Vick as he walked to the locker room to be checked out. He pointed to the scoreboard, which at the time had the Eagles up by 10 points.

Vick should have pointed to his offensive line and asked Reid what he’s thinking. There’s a rookie at center and only one starter is his position from 2010.

Of course in 2010 the Eagles had Kevin Kolb as a backup. Now they have a gimpy Vince Young and Mike Kafka. Sorry, but I can’t resist calling it a Kafkaesque situation.

It’s nightmarish and poses almost surreal threats to Philadelphia’s grand plans. Reid could counter that Green Bay won it all last year and did it despite Aaron Rodgers sustaining two concussions in the regular season.

But no quarterback lives in the line of fire like Vick. If it’s not a concussion, the Eagles’ $100-million Man will bruise his ribs or tweak a knee or worse.

Those cold, heartless Falcons can tell them. That’s no way to get to a Super Bowl.

For me this article sums it up pretty much. On any Sunday the chances of Vick finishing a game versus a "Regular" QB are not very high. And we have experienced that. Now, time to move it on to the Buccaneers! RISE UP!

You know I used to have a healthy respect for Dan Reeves, but this is the most short sighted thing I have ever heard the man say.