Dilfer Says Ryan Would Be Elite If We Ran No Huddle Full Time

mashedpotato

I say do it. We always move the ball in the "No Huddle" offense. It's fun to watch and unstoppable. The Patriots have perfected it and they are unstoppable. I really think Mularkey can design some great plays but he's very predictable during the game. Matt Ryan is one of the few quarterbacks who can run the "NO huddle" and consistently be effective. Dilfer says in an offense where coordinator calls the plays he's not even top 10......but when Ryan is calling the plays at the line he is a top 5 quarterback. I really can't understand why we don't do this more. I guess it's kinda like how I can't understand why our defense doesn't blitz more. Hopefully our coordinators will figure this out soon. I'm sure the rest of the world notices.

Who cares what Dilfer says ESPN has one of the worst Qb's Of all time trying to tell other Qb's what they should do . I wonder if in Dilfers mind he thinks he was really good ,he's a d-bag

Just curious, but what does not being a great QB have to do with the ability to understanding the game of football or a particular position? Scouts analyze and grade QBs all the time and were never great/elite QBs themselves. Most guys that coach QBs were not only never great QBs themselves, but were never even QBs at all. And these are guys that tell elite QBs what to tweak, change, teach them technique, etc. Then you have guys like Jason Garrett and Jim Harbaugh who were never great QBs, that not only decide if QBs should run no-huddle (like Dilfer suggested), but also design the strategy and scheme of an entire team.

Dilfer don't have to have been elite to analyze football. I've never played QB, but even I can see with my own eyes what worked for you and where Matt was the most successful. His best attributes are his intelligence and football academics...let him use it, and keep that defense tired.

exactly Saints55... i can also see stuff that's done wrong in replay and when watching the game, but i doubt very much i would have the ability to do it. all of us can see the same thing Dilfer sees here, but that doesn't mean we would be able to to it as well as Matt Ryan.

and you can have football intelligence and understand the game, but lack the skillset to play well... it's not because you don't know what you're supposed to do. you are just not able to do it... those guys tend to become coaches.

Edited by FalconsfanDK

Dilfer is really not a very astute tv sports person. Please don't believe in what he says, for your own good. The reason the no huddle works for us is we use it at the most opportune times. Sometimes we want to be predictable and just take it to 'em. The change of pace of the no huddle is so more effective like this.

Dilfer is really not a very astute tv sports person. Please don't believe in what he says, for your own good. The reason the no huddle works for us is we use it at the most opportune times. Sometimes we want to be predictable and just take it to 'em. The change of pace of the no huddle is so more effective like this.

The problem is though that you weren't taking it to them. Not until 1:59 left in the 3rd quarter.

As I mentioned in another post: Of your 14 drives, only 3 of them went more than 40 yards...2 of those 3 were in the no-huddle. That's 11 drives under 40 yards, and 7 of those were you didn't even get double digits in yards. That's over half your total drives you couldn't even manage to get 10 yards. From 7:00 into the 1st to 2 minutes left in the 3rd...well...it was pretty darn ugly.

The problem is though that you weren't taking it to them. Not until 1:59 left in the 3rd quarter.

As I mentioned in another post: Of your 14 drives, only 3 of them went more than 40 yards...2 of those 3 were in the no-huddle. That's 11 drives under 40 yards, and 7 of those were you didn't even get double digits in yards. That's over half your total drives you couldn't even manage to get 10 yards. From 7:00 into the 1st to 2 minutes left in the 3rd...well...it was pretty darn ugly.

...and that's when and why we went to the no huddle. You're a smart guy.

Does any team run a nonstop no huddle?

Hmm, guess it depends on what you'd consider a non-stop no-huddle. Like I wouldn't say a team that huddles up 4 or 6 times in a game isn't non-stop no-huddle. Teams don't run it non-stop in a "hurry up" sense though. A lot of people confuse no-huddle with the hurry-up, and they certainly are not the same thing. Pats run it and drain the playclock down to the under five seconds. The dangerous thing about a no-huddle is the threat of snapping it at any time, not particularly rushing to the line and doing quick snaps.

Does any team run a nonstop no huddle?

Eli has a lot of control over that offense up in NY. We don't have to necessarily run no huddle but let Ryan take the reigns. MM is too predictable. Only runs out of heavy sets and passes out of 3 WR sets. When Ryan takes over, he will run or pass from any set depending on what the defense does. Just look at the fourth quarter. We ran a toss to Turner TWICE and scored on one of them. We haven't ran a toss since Turner has been here. Ryan knows teams only expect inside runs with Turner. With Ryan running things, teams have to worry about the toss and even passes to Turner. Not to mention, Ryan reads a LOT better when in a no huddle offense calling the plays. He wasn't pressured as much in the fourth as he was when it was MM time.

I think MM has too big of an ego and it is killing the offense. He is very conservative and won't change. How does HD barely get any love if the plan was to attack the middle of the field? When is he going to call a screen to slow the rush down? Misdirection? MM just thinks explosive means deep ball. He has no creativity.

Just curious, but what does not being a great QB have to do with the ability to understanding the game of football or a particular position? Scouts analyze and grade QBs all the time and were never great/elite QBs themselves. Most guys that coach QBs were not only never great QBs themselves, but were never even QBs at all. And these are guys that tell elite QBs what to tweak, change, teach them technique, etc. Then you have guys like Jason Garrett and Jim Harbaugh who were never great QBs, that not only decide if QBs should run no-huddle (like Dilfer suggested), but also design the strategy and scheme of an entire team.

Dilfer don't have to have been elite to analyze football. I've never played QB, but even I can see with my own eyes what worked for you and where Matt was the most successful. His best attributes are his intelligence and football academics...let him use it, and keep that defense tired.

There is the old saying "Those who cannot play, teach." (or analyze). In other words, you rarely see an elite player like a Joe Montana as the coach of a team. He was elite. Hard to teach elite. A lot of the guys who were just solid NFL Players or career backups, end up as analysts and coaches. He doesn't have to be elite to see that this offense is Night and Day when Ryan is calling the plays, he just has to have eyes. Also, are you sure you are an Aints fan? You seem to show too much level-headedness and football acumen to truly root for the Black and Gold.

Guest Absconditus

Dilfer is actually right, but for a guy who won a SB with the lowest QB rating in NFL History he sure seems to know a lot about what it takes to be "Elite"

I would say that qualifies him to know, then. Just do the opposite of what he did.

Why are some ripping on Dilfer in this thread?

Sure, Dilfer really ticked me off at times last season with some of the stuff he said about the Falcons. Unfortunately, looking back, I have to admit he was right about some of it.

But, I saw him on ESPN after the game and thought he was giving mass love to Matt Ryan and I took it that he was saying that Mike Mularkey was getting in the way.

Dilfer said that Ryan was not a Top 10 QB with his physical skills, but if you added his "cerebral" ability into it, it put him right there at being a Top 5 QB. And I thought that was a very fair assessment.

I mean, look at Vick. He's obviously #1 when it comes to physical skill set, but his cerebral ability pulls him down, way down. And we saw this time and time again when he played for the Falcons. He would make a super human play and make you go "WOW", and then 2 plays later he would do something incredibly dumb. And now this trend is repeating itself with the Eagles. And I believe the day is coming that Eagles fan will no longer be able to tolerate it. All the TV experts say that Vick is still learning to read the blitz. Forget that. That ship has sailed. If he hasn't learned by now, he ain't ever going to learn.

Edited by Keith

Why are some ripping on Dilfer in this thread?

Sure, Dilfer really ticked me off at times last season with some of the stuff he said about the Falcons. Unfortunately, looking back, I have to admit he was right about some of it.

But, I saw him on ESPN after the game and thought he was giving mass love to Matt Ryan and I took it that he was saying that Mike Mularkey was getting in the way.

Dilfer said that Ryan was not a Top 10 QB with his physical skills, but if you added his "cerebral" ability into it, it put him right there at being a Top 5 QB. And I thought that was a very fair assessment.

I mean, look at Vick. He's obviously #1 when it comes to physical skill set, but his cerebral ability pulls him down, way down. And we saw this time and time again when he played for the Falcons. He would make a super human play and make you go "WOW", and then 2 plays later he would do sometime incredibly dumb. And now this trend is repeating itself with the Eagles. And I believe the day is coming that Eagles fan will no longer be able to tolerate it. All the TV experts say that Vick is still learning to read the blitz. Forget that. That ship has sailed. If he hasn't learned by now, he ain't ever going to learn.

Godgers #1 with his skill set.

Vick #2

IMHO based on age, run, pass, mental aspect

Godgers #1 with his skill set.

Vick #2

IMHO based on age, run, pass, mental aspect

mental aspect = cerebral ability.

But , yea, if you include "mental aspect / cerebral ability", I'm taking Brady, Manning (healthy), Rodgers, Brees and perhaps even others before Vick.

Usually guys with less talent have the most knowledge when it comes to football, or any other sport.

When you suck your going to be more studious to try to make up for the lack of talent. That's why you see former players that were never good enough to get on the field become coaches or scouts at some point and do pretty well at it.

Simply put, just because Dilfer wasn't good doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is talking about.

mental aspect = cerebral ability.

But , yea, if you include "mental aspect / cerebral ability", I'm taking Brady, Manning (healthy), Rodgers, Brees and perhaps even others before Vick.

i was saying over the other dudes. i think Godgers has the most points of all the qbs. brady top passer but overall Godgers takes the Crown. IMHO

I say do it. We always move the ball in the "No Huddle" offense. It's fun to watch and unstoppable. The Patriots have perfected it and they are unstoppable. I really think Mularkey can design some great plays but he's very predictable during the game. Matt Ryan is one of the few quarterbacks who can run the "NO huddle" and consistently be effective. Dilfer says in an offense where coordinator calls the plays he's not even top 10......but when Ryan is calling the plays at the line he is a top 5 quarterback. I really can't understand why we don't do this more. I guess it's kinda like how I can't understand why our defense doesn't blitz more. Hopefully our coordinators will figure this out soon. I'm sure the rest of the world notices.

I can't believe we got some love from Dilfer and he's actually right about something that pertains to the Falcons.