Is It Just Me, Or Did We Spend Way Too Much For Dunta.

Califalconfan84

He seems to be in the wrong system. He was pretty good in Houston. He came here and sucks. When he gets burned he gets burnt bad, he is 10 yards or more off his WR. Maybe its BVG. Maybe him and Grimes need to switch sides.

when you look at highlights of him playing in Houston he was always in tight coverage. here, not so much. I'm starting to think that BVG just likes playing zone regardless of the talent. but Dunta is not bad by any standards.

6 years - $57 million, now the mitigating part of that is that the guaranteed money is only $7 million... so $7 million guaranteed ain't that bad... but, I expect more from him with those types of numbers. I expect a guy like that to be the deciding factor on this defense. A guy like Nnamdi who has impeccable technique, or Revis who just erases one side of the field. Teams should be afraid of our secondary with the talent that's back there. 3rd and long should be impossible. Instead, what I've seen of Dunta, is a guy who looks lost out there sometimes. He took bad angles in Chicago when he was the force player -- turning plays that should have been worth 3 yards, into drive-extending 1st downs.

I saw him miss tackles because of bad feet, and slipping on grass. I thought it was because of the natural surface the Bears play on... then I saw a lot of the same things against the Eagles. He's a good player, but he's not the difference-maker you'd expect when he was signed. That guy is on the other side of the field. It may very well be the system here doesn't fit him, but I'm seeing too many fundamental errors from him that have nothing to do with the play-call.

If his play doesn't pick up the rest of the year, then I expect Dimitroff to eat the rest of that signing bonus and cut bait.

6 years - $57 million, now the mitigating part of that is that the guaranteed money is only $7 million... so $7 million guaranteed ain't that bad...

Dunta's guaranteed amount is $25.5 million. You are confusing the $7 million with his signing bonus.

Dunta Robinson gets $25.5 million guaranteed

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2010, 10:43 AM EDT

The numbers are out on Dunta Robinson’s new contract with the Atlanta Falcons, and the numbers are big.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Robinson’s contract is a six-year, $57 million deal, with $25.5 guaranteed.

It’s impressive that a contract of that magnitude was able to be finalized on the very first day of free agency, and we’re sure that there was absolutely no impermissible contact between the Falcons and Robinson’s agent before the first day of free agency, even though it was reported even before free agency started that the Falcons were likely to sign Robinson.

Last year Robinson made $9.957 million as the Texans’ franchise player, but he was unhappy with the lack of a long-term deal. He can’t be unhappy with the deal he got on Friday.

http://profootballta...ion-guaranteed/

Atlanta Falcons

Contract: Falcons show Dunta Robinson the money

6:35 pm March 10, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Here’s the breakdown on Dunta Robinson six-year contract, which included a $7 million signing bonus:

He’s sent to receive base salaries of $5 million in 2010, $5.5 million in 2011, $6 million in 2012, $7 million in 2013, $9 million in 2014 and $9.5 million in 2015.

He’s also set to receive a $3 million bonus in the second year of the deal and could also receive another $5 million in option bonuses.

His salary cap numbers are $12 million in 2010, $6.5 million in 2011, $7.75 million in 2012, $8.75 million in 2013, $10.75 million in 2014 and $11.25 million in 2015.

http://blogs.ajc.com...nson-the-money/

He seems to be in the wrong system. He was pretty good in Houston. He came here and sucks. When he gets burned he gets burnt bad, he is 10 yards or more off his WR. Maybe its BVG. Maybe him and Grimes need to switch sides.

Makes no sense to me. DRob is a much better man to man defender, and is fiesty enough to bump receivers off the line. BVG is trying to make him play Cover 2 and "bend don't break".

FWIW, Grimes, on the other hand is very good in a cover 2, as is Hayden. I'm not making a suggestion here, but Grimes and Hayden actually fit together better.

I think Dunta's worth the big contract if you let the man play, but I don't know if he'll ever acclimate to the zone D.

My bad on that -- misread the article I found. In that case, it's a more emphatic "yes" for considering what the team has gotten.

Just looking over the breakdown again, I'm not sure how the roster bonuses play out over the life of the contract, but just looking at his cap numbers vs. base salary, it doesn't look bank-breaking to eat the option money and escalators after this season when cap number really jumps.

That is, if I'm reading that right.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

Let him play man to man and see how he does.

It's not that simple. The safeties have to know what the corners assignments are. Can't really have zone on one side and man up on the other. That's the issue. Grimes snuck up on everyone and now plays too well, so that you aren't going to find another man 2 man guy and take BG off the field.

It's not that simple. The safeties have to know what the corners assignments are. Can't really have zone on one side and man up on the other. That's the issue. Grimes snuck up on everyone and now plays too well, so that you aren't going to find another man 2 man guy and take BG off the field.

the Jets sometimes play a hybrid coverage of zone & man to man, but they got the linebackers to do it. Revis got a sweet INT off Romo cause he's usually playing man but at the end of the game he was in zone coverage and Romo got suckered into throwing the ball into double coverage

My bad on that -- misread the article I found. In that case, it's a more emphatic "yes" for considering what the team has gotten.

Just looking over the breakdown again, I'm not sure how the roster bonuses play out over the life of the contract, but just looking at his cap numbers vs. base salary, it doesn't look bank-breaking to eat the option money and escalators after this season when cap number really jumps.

That is, if I'm reading that right.

I can't quite understand Robinson's cap hit numbers either. It appears that the first $7 million signing bonus all hit the salary cap in 2010 of $12 million ($5m base + $7m bonus??), rather than being prorated over the 6-year contract. Usually a player's salary cap = Base salary + Prorated signing bonus + likely to be earned incentive bonus. However, the last 4 years of Robinson's contract has a $7m total difference between his base salary and salary cap, or $1.75m per year for each of the last 4 years. Therefore, something is being prorated into the last 4 years. Also I can't figure out how the $3 roster bonus is being taking into the cap. It appears that $1m of that went to the salary cap this year ($5.5m base + $1m = $6.5m salary cap hit for 2011) . Check out the following link for a better idea of Robinson's contract per year:

http://www.spotrac.c...dunta-robinson/

It appears to me that Atlanta will almost have to keep Dunta through the 2012 season to pay him all of his guaranteed money. If they cut him after the 2012 season, then it appears to me that his dead-money cap hit will be $5.25m in 2013 ($1.75m prorated bonus x 3 years remaining).

No we did not pay too much. We addressed a need, a huge need and then Grimes developed. Nothing was wrong with the Dunta signing on any level. People are always so results oriented but if you look back when we signed him, it was a HUGE need. We don't have 3 straight winning seasons without him, sorry folks. If we would have stayed pat and marched the DB's out there we had before signing Dunta it would have been even uglier.

the Jets sometimes play a hybrid coverage of zone & man to man, but they got the linebackers to do it. Revis got a sweet INT off Romo cause he's usually playing man but at the end of the game he was in zone coverage and Romo got suckered into throwing the ball into double coverage

True, and what he said is that it wasn't simple, but it's obviously not unheard of.

What you have in that comparison is Rex Ryan > BVG (and it's not even close!!...... :P )

He's not good at all only an idiot would believe other wise Jeremy Maclin had a career game 170+ yds and two tds. Thats why Dunta took a cheap shot.This season and last season because he sucks. We were burning him all game even stevie wonder could see it. The falcons team are frauds. They hit Vick late all game and below the knees, well i guess that rule only applies to Brady/Manning. The Falcons suck point,blank period. Eagles dominated that game, the Eagles only lost because Vick got hurt. Because some ****** sucky falcons player still was tackling him after he threw the ball 4 seconds later and the play was over.Cant wait til playoff time. I pray we see you again and embarrass you for the frauds you are. You had help from the refs and NBC. Now the world knows it, calling interception on Vick when the ball hit the ground. Falcons are a joke.

Edited by blpower

He's not good at all only an idiot would believe other wise Jeremy Maclin had a career game 170+ yds and two tds. Thats why Dunta took a cheap shot.This season and last season because he sucks. We were burning him all game even stevie wonder could see it. The falcons team are frauds. They hit Vick late all game and below the knees, well i guess that rule only applies to Brady/Manning. The Falcons suck point,blank period. Eagles dominated that game, the Eagles only lost because Vick got hurt. Because some ****** sucky falcons player still was tackling him after he threw the ball 4 seconds later and the play was over.Cant wait til playoff time. I pray we see you again and embarrass you for the frauds you are. You had help from the refs and NBC. Now the world knows it, calling interception on Vick when the ball hit the ground. Falcons are a joke.

Don't have to worry about seeing us again bloboy .....you mfkers won't even make the playoffs .......... :lol:

Which PHI had ample time to challenge and chose not to.

But, don't let me take away from the rest of your post. Obviously you didn't get your baby bottle this morning, making for a grumpy little boy. Maybe a little nap will help............... :lol::lol: