Is It Mike Mularkey, Or Ryan?

madman88

i think TD has put some serious pressure on matt ryan and MM both now, i think him and everyone else needs to kno, can matty ice really throw deep with consistency? or is it MM play calling holding the young gun back from doing so?

ok look, i never said anything negative about matt ryans skill set playing the QB position, but i have said a lot about MM play calling and just plain offensive scheme. but i believe every QB needs to be challenged to become the best they can be, little things like learning how to read coverage, or learning how to go through progressions,learing how to take care of the ball, know when to run or not to run, even accuracy. some prevail and have great careers, some dnt. matt has risen to every challenge that he has faced so far in his career. A lot of Fans have had his back since being here, and ppl dnt like the play calling that we have, specifically when matt takes to the pass, we fans and even other analyst(marshall faulk) think our offensive play calling is a little predictable. but i believe the next challenge for Matt Ryan has come again.

TD has helped this team from the start, every kind of sucess should be shared with him. TD has also brought in players to challenge other players to continue to develop and become better players, either signing someone else to light a fire, or sign someone to replace them. Heres the thing, we really dnt kno if Matt can throw the deep ball into holes in defenses on a consistent basis, we really dnt kno, and we havent had the weapons to prove weather he can or not, since he has the weapons now, if we do try to go deep and he doesnt, can we say its MM fault? i mean even roodney harrison said `` matt ryan likes to throw the short to intermediate routes, the defense should force ryan to throw deep HE HAS A WEAK ARM``... i had to rewind that again, but thats wat he said, i didnt want to believe this, and i still dnt, but just wat if? i mean yea we all saw that 62 yard bomb that he threw to julio, but can he throw a ball 30-35 yds down the field on a rope? im starting to question if he can, and a lot of ryan passes are touch passes,.

then theres MM, the old conservative predictable stubborn OC that has the same game plan for every team we face, nothing changes. he could very well be the major reason why matt ryan throws the ball the way he does, no different route combination, a lot of ***** and motion, but no creative routes to get guys open, or to get guys in space... i kno we run a power run offense and the pass is predicated on play action, but even so, the routes can be a little more creative. the regular passes are always be 5-10 yds routes. can he use all theses weapons the right way? the game against the eagles showed two different schemes, but also showed how one team uses their weapons the right way, while our weapons still looked like there being tweaked, and i kno we have o-line problems, so does the eagles, and with any bad o-line screens help tremendously, but we ran only ONE, ONE!!! all night, a screen to roddy for 5 yards, we ran two last week. i think the eagles ran about 10 screens all night. with their pass rush that was coming we should have took advantage of it, but we didnt, we continued to let ONE player dominate our offense.

sorry for the long type, but thats the question that has come to my mind that i think we all should hear... who do you really think it is... please only matture answers... please... -_-

I, for the most part blame MM. When Ryan goes into the no huddle the whole landscape of the offense changes on a dime. MM is a grind it out, dink and dunk oc and I do not know if he is willing to change or even alter that philosophy. Ryan does not have an elite type arm, but we have seen him throw the 30 yard pass on a rope.....just not often, but he is capable. All that said, it is not just Malarkey's fault either, Ryan gets so little time in the pocket that many plays simply do not have time to develop.....enter Sam Baker.

you cnt just dismiss ryan from it all, it ultimately comes down to him to make a play if the OC does call a big play...

Indeed. And I'm not at all. Yes, his arm isn't elite and won't ever will be.

I posted this in another thread about Mularkey..

1. Not calling plays that fits the players' strengths...

2. Inabilty to adjust effectively. Just comes up with a lame excuse..."The Bears were playing the deep routes"...

3. Going back to 3, when the QB is constantly rushed, he just keeps on calling intermediate to deep routes...Where's the short crosses or drags? Where's the screen to slow down the pass rush?

4. His route combinations are sub par. How come our WRs don't get great separation? How come Ryan has to make tight throws so many times? Where are the openings in the defense for our WRs to catch the ball and run? We see it every once in a while, but too many times we catch it and we're stopped on the spot or a few yards after...

Indeed. And I'm not at all. Yes, his arm isn't elite and won't ever will be.

I posted this in another thread about Mularkey..

1. Not calling plays that fits the players' strengths...

2. Inabilty to adjust effectively. Just comes up with a lame excuse..."The Bears were playing the deep routes"...

3. Going back to 3, when the QB is constantly rushed, he just keeps on calling intermediate to deep routes...Where's the short crosses or drags? Where's the screen to slow down the pass rush?

4. His route combinations are sub par. How come our WRs don't get great separation? How come Ryan has to make tight throws so many times? Where are the openings in the defense for our WRs to catch the ball and run? We see it every once in a while, but too many times we catch it and we're stopped on the spot or a few yards after...

yea ive said that to in this about MM, and your right, screens and more creative route combination would help ryan, but even when ryan has gone no huddle, most of his passes are stil only 10-15 yards down the field, maybe thats cause of MM plays and thats the only ones. but we really dnt kno, the heat is on this offense to produce, and we all kno MM will be going before ryan is if it doesn't. i just want to kno, can he throw the ball 30-35 yards and hit his WR... he has a pretty ball going deep, but he puts a lot of air under balls sometimes... then sometimes i think he is tryin to throw a catch-able ball, i feel like he can sling it in there but he just doesn't... ifk man its frustrating at times tho...

I, for the most part blame MM. When Ryan goes into the no huddle the whole landscape of the offense changes on a dime. MM is a grind it out, dink and dunk oc and I do not know if he is willing to change or even alter that philosophy. Ryan does not have an elite type arm, but we have seen him throw the 30 yard pass on a rope.....just not often, but he is capable. All that said, it is not just Malarkey's fault either, Ryan gets so little time in the pocket that many plays simply do not have time to develop.....enter Sam Baker.

thats where the screen game comes in, if the line is struggling to protect ryan, then common sense would be to get the ball out of his hands quickly as possible right? but instead, wat do we do? we run the ball, no screens no draw, nothing creative to catch the defense off balance, just same old MM offense...

Mularkey likes a base I formation with the standard 2 SE's and TE. He rarely deviates. On paper, he's working the run/pass balance. And Ovie helps Turner. But the Saints will often line up in a spread type formation with 4 wides and 1 back. You can change it up with Ryan in the same formation and Turner in the backfield. Give Ryan a Turner audible to run and call pass plays with Roddy/HD/Julio/TG. And on other drives, switch back to the mostly pro set. But don't send out ONE formation when the team is in a base offense and ONE formation when the team is in the no huddle.

thats where the screen game comes in, if the line is struggling to protect ryan, then common sense would be to get the ball out of his hands quickly as possible right? but instead, wat do we do? we run the ball, no screens no draw, nothing creative to catch the defense off balance, just same old MM offense...

There's one rationale that makes sense in not calling screens. If 4 guys are rushing effectively on 5, screens are less likely to work because you have LB's in space. But that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of misdirection that can be run to set up screens. The bottom line is getting playmakers the ball in space should always be a priority. Not getting guys like Roddy/Julio/HD the ball in space is insanity.

There's one rationale that makes sense in not calling screens. If 4 guys are rushing effectively on 5, screens are less likely to work because you have LB's in space. But that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of misdirection that can be run to set up screens. The bottom line is getting playmakers the ball in space should always be a priority. Not getting guys like Roddy/Julio/HD the ball in space is insanity.

this one i put on both, MM should kno to get his weapons the ball in space, we didnt run not one end around the entire game, and only one screen, but also, i still think the screen would have worked. samuels never plays up in your face, he likes to play off, so throw the ball out there to roddy and contiune to force him to make a play, thats his weakness and we only took advantage of it ONCE... fu** their LBs, there small and weak, as a OC it should be your job to exploit a defense weakness, and if your lucky enough to single a guy out and be able to know his weakness you should attack it until they stop it... its that simple...

Heres a breakdown of MM entire offensive plan. Run on first, Run on second.... holy **** we didnt get a first down, short pass. I dont understand why we dont do a pass on first down sometimes, why doesnt Julio ever run a 9 route? Hes proven hes fast as ****. MM = Failure. There is no spice in his play calling at all. I do not blame ryan for this. Ryan has proven he can march the ball down the field no problem in no huddle.