Is It Me Or Is Mularkey's Play Calling Predictable

falconcrest58

I understand Mularkey is a conservative play caller and I've always try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but to me his play calling seems very, very predictable. I mean I know we are a run first team, but the question I have for MM and MS is, are we good enough along the OL to line up and run the football when the other team knows it? Just watch the Pats, you never know what they're going to do. Once again, is it me or does MM ever call a pass play on first down and goal inside the 5 or 10 ydl? I honestly hope he's takes us to the SB and you guys can prove me wrong, but I just got a problem with his play calling. I've been listening to the fan base complain for 4 yrs about his conservative play calling and now I have to agree. Even if it's conservative and that's the plan, it's still predictable. I say we got weapons and a very intelligent QB, why don't we use them? Hopefully it gets better as the season progresses.....I say take the handcuffs off Matty and let him do his thing.

the bet here is that MM better start getting results from all those weapons TD and Uncle AB has provided or AB will call TD MS MM and BVG to the round table and say "hey guys results or"? AB aint gunna sit back and watch this crap. I think MS stlye is that of MM, but I bet AB will tell the whole freakin crowd to get their act together

It's not you...it's the playcalling. I knew it with every fiber of my being that we were going to try that PA pass to Julio after Philly took the lead back. Certain times during the game, it just seems like I can call an entire sequence of 2-3 plays during a timeout or commercial and I'm right more than I'm wrong

Embrace the horror, we are a run first team.

However, we are not a run only team despite what many choose to believe. I just glanced over the first 2 quarters of play-by-play. Atlanta had 10 first downs. Our play selection was 5 runs, and 5 passes. Over the course of last year I'm sure our 1st and goal play selection when outside the 4 was pretty close to 50/50. Inside the 4, I want to run every time on 1st and goal. Everytime. Why give the D a shot at creating a negative play when you run as well as we do? If we didn't run so effectively on most occasions, I would feel differently.

However, we are not a run only team despite what many choose to believe. I just glanced over the first 2 quarters of play-by-play. Atlanta had 10 first downs. Our play selection was 5 runs, and 5 passes. Over the course of last year I'm sure our 1st and goal play selection when outside the 4 was pretty close to 50/50. Inside the 4, I want to run every time on 1st and goal. Everytime. Why give the D a shot at creating a negative play when you run as well as we do? If we didn't run so effectively on most occasions, I would feel differently.

I agree with this 100% if we are close run the ball on 1st down the have a 50/50 split on 2nd between running and a PA, 3rd down 50/50 as well.

everytime......how bout a play fake and throw to the TE every once and a while and then the D has to play you honest. That's just my thinking......watch the Pats....their OC and BB has go nads the size of church bells...they will throw it in a heart beat inside the 4 on 1st down

Guess what? Every fan considers their offensive play calling predictable. There's a difference in being predictable and executing. The Eagles tried numerous trick plays last night and it went nowhere. Obviously unpredictability doesn't equal success. Every team has an identity on offense and if you watch enough of them, you know what they're going to do. You play to your strengths. Now is MM maximizing the strength of this team with his playcalling is another story.

exactly and that's my question are we good enough up front to have the identity of trying to ram it down our opponets throat on 1st down 75% of the time and number two are we much better off utilizing Matty and the no huddle and all the weapons by being a more aggressive and attacking offense

Guess what? Every fan considers their offensive play calling predictable. There's a difference in being predictable and executing. The Eagles tried numerous trick plays last night and it went nowhere. Obviously unpredictability doesn't equal success. Every team has an identity on offense and if you watch enough of them, you know what they're going to do. You play to your strengths. Now is MM maximizing the strength of this team with his playcalling is another story.

oh yea I'm not every team's fan and I understand what MM has been doing the past 3 yrs considering we didn't have enough weapons and Matty masturation process still developing but now?????????? We freaking are too predictable in mho

I honestly don't have many complaints in the predictability of his play calling in the run/pass sort of way. My problems with Mularkey are: that his play design rarely seems to create openings or mismatches; he doesn't seem to game-plan in a way that most aggressively attacks the weaknesses of the other team; and his playbook doesn't contain nearly enough screens or slants.

Edited by The Monarch