Ncaa Sends Notice Of Allegations To South Carolina.

SacFalcFan

I'm trying to take my homer glasses off and give an honest opinion about this but I know that I will not beable to think 100% objectively about this.

1) The situation with "The Whitney" hotel... When you look at their published rates and then compare it to what the players were actually billed it looks terrible. But if you look at what they were billed and compare it to the amount a comparable apartment in the Columbia area would cost then the monthly amount looks like it is in line and not something unethical.

2) The situation with the S.A.M. program..... SAM has a very nobel goal of helping kids get into college by helping them with travel expenses to go on unofficial visits to schools around the country. Sharrif(sp) Floyd the kid that ended up at UF was a part of the SAM program as was Damiere Byrd, a kid who ended up at Carolina. But they have helped at least 18 kids with various expenses make visits to any number of schools for visits. Floyd did visit Carolina but chose Florida. Byrd supposedly visited both Carolina and UF and he felt that he was not treated very well at Friday Night Lights (not sure why) but he ended up at Carolina. Now the SAM program has only been associated with one kid who actually ended up at Carolina (Byrd), but because the President of the SAM program is a Carolina grad. and booster then it counts as a violation if he helps any kid that goes to Carolina, but it's not nearly as big a deal if he helps kids go to other schools, ie Floyd and UF.

So if they are saying that this guy was steering kids to Carolina, then he was surely doing a pizz poor job of it. Our QB coach, GA Mangus (the urinator) has dealt with the SAM program and kids in it because he was previously a HC at a school in Delaware and that's where SAM is located, I think.

So while it is very easy for this to be blown totally out of proportion, I don't know if I think anything heinous has actually occured with our football program. Heck, ourcompliance officer even approved the deal for the kids to live at The Whitney, so she thought it was within rules for this to occur.

I'm thinking that this will still end up costing us somehow because the NCAA NEVER goes into a school and then finishes their investigation by saying "nothing to see here". If they dig deeply enough into any program their will be some type of rules violations happening there. But they will do something to us, and we will probably do something to ourselves before the hearing in Feb. I suspect that our compliance officer will be and likely should be fired. But I do think she made her best judgement when allowing the players to stay there in the first place. If there is room in the rules for that much disagreement in the interpretation of them, then the rules need to be rewritten. I also think GA Mangus may very well be fired because of this situation but I'm not sure if I think that should happen.

1) The situation with "The Whitney" hotel... When you look at their published rates and then compare it to what the players were actually billed it looks terrible. But if you look at what they were billed and compare it to the amount a comparable apartment in the Columbia area would cost then the monthly amount looks like it is in line and not something unethical.

Well if they had been staying in an apartment where they going rate equaled what they paid then no problem. I get that they paid about what an average apartment goes for, but they weren't living in an average apartment. I don't see how this is in any way acceptable.

Not sure how I feel about the SAM thing (don't know much about it tbh) but paying less for something that costs more - that is exactly what the rules are made for.

I really just wish that the NCAA would make crystal clear what their rules are and what the scale of punishment will be. Handing out random punishments that don't match up with the severity from case to case is only serving to deteriorate the legitimacy of the NCAA as a governing body.

Well if they had been staying in an apartment where they going rate equaled what they paid then no problem. I get that they paid about what an average apartment goes for, but they weren't living in an average apartment. I don't see how this is in any way acceptable.

Not sure how I feel about the SAM thing (don't know much about it tbh) but paying less for something that costs more - that is exactly what the rules are made for.

Yeah, I get your point but do you know how many businesses negotiate deeply discounted rates at hotels when they have people who will be coming into town for extended stays? I don't think it's all that uncommon for deals like this to be worked out which allow the hotel to fill a room or 10 rooms for long periods of time by reducing the rate. I think things like that go on all the time. But even if I'm over simplifying(sp) it, it's not like this arrangement was something the school was trying to hide or cover up. Our compliance officer was supposedly brought in and asked if it was acceptable and she thought it would be within the rules. Now she might be totally incompetant, I don't know. But I do think that if it's proven that the athletics department went to the compliance office and was told that it would be okay to have that arrangement, the most the NCAA should be able to do about it is slap the school on the wrist, make the students repay the money(which has already happened) and write the rules in a way that doesn't leave room for this type of misinterpretation. And the hotel they stayed in is really just an average type place. It's supposedly rated as a 3 star and there's nothing particularly nice about it.

With the "SAM" situation, I think there are far more twists and turns though. I know that that organization is a legitimate entity with the goals of assisting kids find more avenues to get scholarships from schools all over the country. Some of those kids were even visiting Clemson, so it's not like they were only helping kids who wanted to visit SC.

I just wonder if the NCAA is going to have an even hand in this situation or if they want to make an example of Carolina. I know that nothing approaching the level of deceit we saw at Ohio State has occured, but SC just doesn't have the same force behind the name that the Buckeyes have.

Oh in no way do I think this is anywhere near Ohio State, or Miami for that matter!

The bad thing for you is the Whitney has all the proper documentation and no reason to hide anything, unlike the Columbus tattoo shop and Nevin Shapiro. It's almost like you'd be better off dealing with dirtbags than legit parties just so there's no paper trail. Pathetic, right?

Anyway I don't think the fact that your compliance office signed off is going to help you because it was your own compliance office. It would open the door to everybody having inept compliance offices. Not to say your person was inept or that your program did something wrong intentionally, but other programs could take advantage of the "get out of jail free" card. Now if the hotel gives those same rates and payment deferrals to other long term residents, that would make it ok....operative word being "if."

Unless that "if" becomes a reality, I think it will cost you some scholarships, but they'll spread them out over a few years so it won't be felt as much. This is just my prediction how things will play out, which is based on no knowledge of concrete facts and is supported by nothing but my opinion.....

Edited by South FL Dawg

Oh in no way do I think this is anywhere near Ohio State, or Miami for that matter!

The bad thing for you is the Whitney has all the proper documentation and no reason to hide anything, unlike the Columbus tattoo shop and Nevin Shapiro. It's almost like you'd be better off dealing with dirtbags than legit parties just so there's no paper trail. Pathetic, right?

Anyway I don't think the fact that your compliance office signed off is going to help you because it was your own compliance office. It would open the door to everybody having inept compliance offices. Not to say your person was inept or that your program did something wrong intentionally, but other programs could take advantage of the "get out of jail free" card. Now if the hotel gives those same rates and payment deferrals to other long term residents, that would make it ok....operative word being "if."

Unless that "if" becomes a reality, I think it will cost you some scholarships, but they'll spread them out over a few years so it won't be felt as much. This is just my prediction how things will play out, which is based on no knowledge of concrete facts and is supported by nothing but my opinion.....

Well when I mentione the term "slap on the wrist" I was referring to a reduction of scholarships over a period of years. I know that there will be some punishment, but I just don't want to NCAA to behave as if SC was trying to cover up some sweetheart deal that was known to be illegal. I'm worried that the NCAA will choose Carolina as the program to make an example of, I guess.