Eagles - Falcons: A Few Thoughts

ukfalc

Firstly, let me start by saying that this organisation deserved credit for turning things around from last week. It was a great win yesterday. I went to sleep last night think we’d got very lucky, but having rewatched the game today I think we deserved it for fighting hard and staying in the game. ESPN were quick to point to turnovers etc. keeping us in the game, but the eagles had critical TOs and penalties that benefitted them, and as many breaks as we did.

1. Our defensive problem are on the right middle (the left side of the O) 10-15 yards deep. We seem to have a gaping hole in the zone there, and it was consistently open. We gave up at least 4 or 5 big completions to Wr’s on posts and slants across that area. The left sided also gave up the big pass on Philly’s last series. Is it our scheme, or lack of team speed?

2. Considering the way that Vick stretches defences because of the threat that he poses, I thought the D held up well for much of the game. We gave up some big plays (see point 1), but also made some crucial plays in return. We had decent pressure, even though it didn’t translate to sacks.

3. I may be wrong, but I could swear that there were a few plays where the eagles were in 3 or 4 wide, and we had LB’s lining up on the slot wr’s, rather than switching to Nickel.

4. MM gets blasted for his game planning, but he does run some sweet running plays. Some of our trapping plays and pulling plays were very well executed and effective. We ran a lot of them early, but seemed to go away from it in the 2nd and 3rd, when we became more direct and seemingly less effective.

5. The trap plays worked very well against Philly’s penetrating front 4, but our play calling in the passing game did nothing to slow it down or exploit it. The slow developing outs and 10-15 yard post were predictable as well as putting Ryan in trouble.

6. Do we run any routes other than Outs, curls and 10 yard post patterns, and checkoffs/dumpoffs to the flat? Where are the screens, flys and corners/fades? Where are the double moves? Our only screen was a WR screen (if it can be called a screen, as we had nobody out in front of Roddy), and even then we ran it poorly compared to the 2 WR screens that the eagles ran.

7. Phil Simms commented during the Chargers/Patriots game yesterday, that if you can’t throw to the backshoulder and having your WRs go up and get the ball, you are falling behind in the NFL. We are falling behind, as we never even try it. Julio has the athleticism to feast on back shoulder throws.

8. Gonzalez was a beast. Has he ever had a better game for us? The TD in the back of the endzone was stunning, as was Stephen Nicholas’ special team tackle at the end.

9. Matt Ryan – He missed a few plays and threw a few bad balls, but what a warrior. His command of the no-huddle was exceptional. He should be given more scope change plays during the rest of the game.

10. Baker and Bosher – Awful. Sorry Julio, I love what you bring to the team, but this year’s and next year’s 1st picks should have been a LT and CB.

11. The 3rd Qtr was a total train wreck (again). We started leaking chunks of yardage defensively. Offensively, turnovers, bad field position and conservative play calling put us in a hole and almost go us blown out. I don’t know if this is because we do a poor job of adjusting and anticipating opponents’ adjustment or if we are just too conservative starting the 3rd. Whatever it is, this has been a problem before and must be fixed.

12. We finished the 3rd qtr with an extremely conservative 2TE set motioning in and out of an unbalanced line. Aside from a sweet PA pass to Roddy for 17 yards on the first play, the other plays from that formation were painful to watch – and left us in 3rd and 12 at the end of the 3rd Qtr.

13. We were a totally different team in the 4th Qtr, with the no huddle. Prior to that we were running predominantly 2 Back and 2 TE sets. For the entire 4th Qtr (aside from a couple of goalline plays) we stitched up to 11 personnel (1 back, 1 TE, 3WRs), completed the 3rd and 12, and were much more effective. In the 4th we switched backs effectively between Turner, Quizz and Snelling. Prior to the 4th, Snelling, HD, Quizz and Ovie had very just 2 touches between them (a 5 yard pitch to Quizz with 1:50 to go in the 2nd, and handoff to Ovie on 1st and 10 from our own 1 in the 3rd Qtr). Between them in the 4th Qtr they had 7 touches. We need to get them involved more often, rather than forcing absolutely everything to the same 3 or 4 players.

14. Why didn’t we run the ball in the last 2 mins. We gave the eagles a shot at the end that they should not have had, and why did we punt down the middle of the field at the end, risking a big return? A well prepared staff should have managed the clock better.

14. Why didn't we run the ball in the last 2 mins. We gave the eagles a shot at the end that they should not have had, and why did we punt down the middle of the field at the end, risking a big return? A well prepared staff should have managed the clock better.

And what would you say if we ran it and fumbled???? I bet if Vick was still in the game we try and make a first down and put the game away. With a rookie QB, I will take my chances that he can't score with only 33 seconds on the clock! Guess what? Smitty was right!

Edited by Caddieman

And what would you say if we ran it and fumbled???? I bet if Vick was still in the game we try and make a first down and put the game away. With a rookie QB, I will take my chances that he can't score with only 33 seconds on the clock! Guess what? Smitty was right!

True, but then the punt could have been returned, or the punt snap mishandled.

You can't play with fear. I'll take my chances with Turner taking 3 handoffs, rather than punting and giving up the ball at midfield.

At the very east, we should have hit a idrectional Punt or punted out of bounds. Kicking to the middle of the field was a huge risk.

Even Mike Smith said he was wrong. Flatly stated that the Falcons should have been running the ball. He said it was a coaching error.