Terrible Clock Management At The End Of The Game

gtjackets1729

I don't know what Mike Smith was thinking in kneeling down 3 straight times knowing we'd have to punt the ball back to the Eagles with a) a rookie punter and b.) DeSean Jackson waiting to return the ball and c) at worst they'd have a chance for a hail mary pass.

Ryan should have at least taken a few steps backwards before kneeling down or Turner should have gotten the ball a few times. Luckily it didn't cost us the game. Smith must not have seen the Giants game last year.

Edited by gtjackets1729

I remember awhile back when Tommy Tuberville while coaching Auburn against UGA, was in the same situation and actually had his entire offensive line slowly move backwards like a giant V and then kneeling down to bring the extra time off the clock. Pretty smart if you ask me, and to be honest the only time I have ever seen it done.

Edited by DvlDwnInGA

Mike Smith admitted he made a mistake. This is what he said:

On the mindset of the victory formation:

“That was probably a coaching error. We need to run the ball. Not probably, it was a coaching error. In terms of the mindset that was not the proper way to do it, but we were able to get through it. We don’t play perfect games, we don’t coach perfect games.”

Mike Smith admitted he made a mistake. This is what he said:

On the mindset of the victory formation:

“That was probably a coaching error. We need to run the ball. Not probably, it was a coaching error. In terms of the mindset that was not the proper way to do it, but we were able to get through it. We don’t play perfect games, we don’t coach perfect games.”

I'm glad he admitted to the mistake but that should be something that is relatively easy to calculate. Heck, it took Chris Collinsworth all of 2 seconds to figure out that they'd have about 15 seconds left on the clock if we just kneeled it down.