It Was Amatuer Night On The Falcons Sidelines Last Night.

Peyton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the debate - I just wanted to interject a reminder.

IT IS SO FREAKIN' AWESOME THAT WE WON!!!!!

Sitting in those stands this game vs. sitting in those stands last game against the Iggles.

Priceless!

It was a wierd feeling for me after this game. I felt happy, but I felt even more relieved. I felt like this season was going to tank badly if the Falcons lost that game. It is still going to be a very tough season, but I think the Falcons are going to be there at the end.

I mean...I'm glad it worked out but what coach says... "Hey, the game is on the line here. Let's go 3 and out on purpose and have our terrible punter punt the ball to Desean Jackson. Then assuming we survive that we'll let arguably the most explosive offense in the NFL have a couple of shots on us to win the game."

Were the coaches trying to give us a heart attack?

I think Mike Smith will learn from it.

“That was probably a coaching error, we needed to run the ball,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “Not probably, it was a coaching error.”

I agree with all of your points also. The kneel down was the worst set of play's I've seen this coaching staff call.

Also - I'm highly concerned with the play of our Pro Bowl KR Weems. I never really liked him before last year - and there is no doubting it - he had a fantastic year last year and started to change my mind about him. However - this year he has made several mistakes - way too many to excuse. He has let punts hit the turf that could have been fair catches that ended up pinning us on the 1 yard line (both games so far). He has made very questionable decisions to run out of the endzone 8 yards deep to end up at the 15, or maybe the 20 - but it is just as likely that we will get a holding penalty that will put us inside the 10 yard line as it is he will break a long run starting 8 yards deep.

And our punter.....holy crap - he is absolutely terrible. He has got to go. Never thought I'd miss Koenen quite so much.

I've been a season ticket holder for 12 years - and have followed this board forever - but don't post much. Sure I'll get lambasted regarding Weems - but I would put Franks or Rodgers back there. I don't trust Weems judgement at all.....

Well its like Smitty said after the game: "we never play a perfect game, and we never coach a perfect game."

But yeah I hear ya and agree with some or your points. The most glaring mistake to me was not running at the end, and letting Philly have another shot at winning the game. We didn't even need a first down at that point: just to keep the clock running. Smitty admitted that was an error on the coaching staffs part. But hey they are human.

Bottom line is we got a win against a very good team in a very tough game.

I agree that they should done better on knell downs at the end. Turner was a beast all game and I think you have to run the ball at least once there. Put faith into that he won't fumble and take an extra five seconds off of the clock. Way too conservative.

Mike Smith was one of the better coaches last year when it came to challenges, but that one was just bad. You have to know the rule book a little better than that and they were lucky we didn't need that timeout later in the game. It can be a catch (or interception) as long as the player has control of the ball before it hits the ground and after it hits the ground, which the player did. The field does not dictate an incompletion anymore.

I guess I'm just frustrated that it happens so frequently with this coaching staff. Seen Mike Smith throw away a lot of timeouts on things that weren't even close.

I said it as soon as the challenge flag hit the ground -- "Smith is HORRENDOUS at this. I can't remember the last time he got something overturned."

Coach Smith tossing out the red flag reminds me of an 80 year old pulling out a cell phone. The concept is foreign to him, he doesn't exactly grasp why or in what situations it should be used but the kids seem to make good use out of it so -- here goes nothing!

That's not true at all. You will see when reviewing the game film for your write up. The tip touched, but he demonstrated control before it did, therefore it wasn't a "trap."

I provided a link to video in this thread that definitely shows the ball didn't hit the ground. But it doesn't matter.

The replay shows it, it doesn't matter b/c you are dead wrong. it hits the ground and moves big time. against any other team this is ruled drop. no int. What are you seeing. even the MNF crew showed a freeze frame of the ball hitting the ground.

The replay shows it, it doesn't matter b/c you are dead wrong. it hits the ground and moves big time. against any other team this is ruled drop. no int. What are you seeing. even the MNF crew showed a freeze frame of the ball hitting the ground.

So you think the officials didn't overturn it because it was an Eagles game? Bizarre theory.