It Was Amatuer Night On The Falcons Sidelines Last Night.

Peyton

It wasn't the best night for the coaching staff.

And I'm not talking about game planning and strategy, I am just talking about common sense stuff.

At the end of the game, the Falcons have to understand that they cannot run out the clock there. The Eagles defense was gassed at that point and the likelihood of running for a first down is better than 50/50. That was...just terrible.

On the Asante Samuel interception, it was clear as day it was a clean pick. How in the world does Mike Smith continuously throw away timeouts on bad challenges?

The third thing that was bad...just real bad.

When the Eagles ran their kicker out there to try a 63 yard FG, the Falcons should have put Weems back there near the goal line. That was a great opportunity to get a return TD because FG teams are not practiced in covering kicks.

That ball landed on the goal line, but the Falcons got no chance because they didn't put anybody back there.

So...that was bad.

So....those things irked me.

I've got a lot positive to say about the game too, because it was a HUGE win, and I am going to break down the whole game from my perspective later play by play, but I just needed to vent on those things. The coaching staff has to do better than that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm not talking about game planning and strategy, I am just talking about common sense stuff.

At the end of the game, the Falcons have to understand that they cannot run out the clock there. The Eagles defense was gassed at that point and the likelihood of running for a first down is better than 50/50. That was...just terrible.

On the Asante Samuel interception, it was clear as day it was a clean pick. How in the world does Mike Smith continuously throw away timeouts on bad challenges?

When the Eagles ran their kicker out there to try a 63 yard FG, the Falcons should have put Weems back there near the goal line. That was a great opportunity to get a return TD because FG teams are not practiced in covering kicks.

That ball landed on the goal line, but the Falcons got no chance because they didn't put anybody back there.

So...that was bad.

I've got a lot positive to say about the game too, because it was a HUGE win, and I am going to break down the whole game from my perspective later play by play, but I just needed to vent on those things. The coaching staff has to do better than that.

Agree with 2 of 3. The challenge on the INT though, not knowing what access the coaches in the booth have to replays, I don't fault them for. The tip of the ball hit the ground & it was moving in his hands just before it did. I didn't mind the challenge there because it was a big spot & we couldn't afford that turnover. The call was right on the field, but it was close enough to challenge. Have no idea why Filly wouldn't challenge the Falcons INT though, pretty obvious it did hit the ground before it was caught.

Agree with 2 of 3. The challenge on the INT though, not knowing what access the coaches in the booth have to replays, I don't fault them for. The tip of the ball hit the ground & it was moving in his hands just before it did. I didn't mind the challenge there because it was a big spot & we couldn't afford that turnover. The call was right on the field, but it was close enough to challenge. Have no idea why Filly wouldn't challenge the Falcons INT though, pretty obvious it did hit the ground before it was caught.

I guess I'm just frustrated that it happens so frequently with this coaching staff. Seen Mike Smith throw away a lot of timeouts on things that weren't even close.

So...that was bad.

I know you've talked about Smith and bad challenges before, but I thought the Samuel Int was worth a challenge. The other 2 things though, right there with you! I was livid at victory formation with too much time left. That's just the kind of mistakes the staff shouldn't be making...especially punting one of the most dangerous return men in the game.

It all worked out though!

So...that was bad.

What about only 10 men on defense?

Re field goal..

considering the field positon, I actually don't see it as a bad call at all.

Anything can happen on a return, positive and negative. Such a long FG gives us a great start to drive ourselves...

Actually, what happened after the miss?

Halftime.

Yeah, you are right, it would have been nice to start on the Eagles 47. But that wasn't going to happen regardless.

Disagree, but only on this. One replay showed very clearly the tip of the ball touching the ground but i believe that he had control at that point. It was the right call.

It was just a bad angle. If you look at one angle of the play, it looks like the front tip of the ball touches the ground. If you look at the video from behind the play, you can see clearly that it never does. I'll find it for you.

I agree with your 3 points. I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking by taking a knee on that. Our not so great rookie punter had to punt to Desean Jackson and then he punted it straight to him. Did they tell him to do that or what? It did not look at all like he was trying to kick it out of bounds. The decision to take a knee was mind boggling.

To not have a guy back there to try to return the field goal made no sense to me either. Why would you not take a chance there? It's the perfect time to try it.

When I saw the replay for the challenged play I knew there was no chance they would overturn it. I think this is the 3rd year in a row that I have questioned who Smitty has advising him on when to challenge. Last night I was thinking about the game two years ago that we lost to the Eagles when we were out of challenges so we couldn't challenge an obvious screw up by the officials.

how can yall be mad at the kneel downs look at it this way Sam Baker was getting push around like crazy and say if this happen as we go to hand off the ball and there is a fumble they get the ball back then every one would be saying we should have kneed it!! or what if someone got hurt on the play!!! so im very happy we kneed the ball then punted it!!!! Good win for are falcons!!!

how can yall be mad at the kneel downs look at it this way Sam Baker was getting push around like crazy and say if this happen as we go to hand off the ball and there is a fumble they get the ball back then every one would be saying we should have kneed it!! or what if someone got hurt on the play!!! so im very happy we kneed the ball then punted it!!!! Good win for are falcons!!!

Did you happen to catch the end of the last Giants / Eagles game?