Whispers Of West Virginia To The Sec Have Begun

jgator21

Am I the only one that thinks that Missouri is more appealing than WVU? I still would've rather brought in another Florida school or Clemson. But if we have to get a bigger footprint it seemed like the Kansas City market might be about the same size as the whole state of WV!

I think cultural wise WVU fits much better then Missouri. WVU also has a good fan base and would fit in great with the east in relation to traveling.

So, since TX and Oklahoma are looking to bolt to the PAC-10, what does that do to Baylor's lawsuit against TX A&M going to the SEC?

You'd have to look at what the contract says. If there's a clause in there that lets a school off the hook if someone else leaves after they do, or before they do, then it might have some effect.

Guest Absconditus

West Virginia is a nice pickup, but so much for all that "expanding the market" talk. What market does West Virginia open up? Most of those people don't even have cable.

SEC needs to quit screwing around and make a formal offer to Florida State now that they've made it clear they're not all that interested in *just* a new TV market.

West Virginia is a nice pickup, but so much for all that "expanding the market" talk. What market does West Virginia open up? Most of those people don't even have cable.

SEC needs to quit screwing around and make a formal offer to Florida State now that they've made it clear they're not all that interested in *just* a new TV market.

wvu definately brings a new market and they bring a bigger market then you might know. i have a friend who worked in their athletic dept for years and she showed me where they have a big alumni/fan base and it's impressive in the surrounding areas. the sec has made it clear (it's already been reported that they were asked to do that by their broadcast partners) they want to open up in new tv markets and it would be the case if they accepted wvu. here are some posts from guys who put it a lot better.

I grew up in PA and can assure you there is a huge contingent of WVU fans in western PA, much like the Auburn presence in Atlanta. In fact, Morgantown is closer to Pittsburgh and the PA state line than Auburn is to ATL and GA. They have a lot of fans in Maryland as well, not to mention their home state where they are obviously the team of choice.

Another comment:

How many programs have been to both the BCS and the Final Four recently? They've also have the best fan base in the Big East, they provide a natural rival for Kentucky and Tennessee, they help balance the divisions, and they provide a bigger media market than people think with fans in western PA, Ohio, Maryland, Virginia, and of course their home state. I happen to think they are a good cultural fit for the SEC and they've got very good coaches in both football and basketball. Plus, they allow the SEC to expand beyond it's existing footprint.

Yeah, WVU is a great fit in every aspect for the SEC (geographically, market size, football and basketball accolades, etc). If it's true the board denied them entry, who else could they possibly have to be that 14th team? Or are they just waiting to see if Baylor drops the suit against A&M to proceed with a 14th team?

Yeah, WVU is a great fit in every aspect for the SEC (geographically, market size, football and basketball accolades, etc). If it's true the board denied them entry, who else could they possibly have to be that 14th team? Or are they just waiting to see if Baylor drops the suit against A&M to proceed with a 14th team?

yep WVU is a great fit, but like i said that rumor was from the cincy site and i haven't seen it repeated elsewhere. also there is another rumor from a site that is hit or miss saying that the sec presidents were worried about wvu's academics. lol

yep WVU is a great fit, but like i said that rumor was from the cincy site and i haven't seen it repeated elsewhere. also there is another rumor from a site that is hit or miss saying that the sec presidents were worried about wvu's academics. lol

You're right but I can hardly think of an enterprise that thrives on snobbery more than academia...

Correct. WVU academics rankings are some of the worst in the country. The SEC already has a reputation for bad academics. Accepting WVU will definitely add fuel to the fire.

Perfect fit. I'd suggest no one really worry about WVU's market size... they are just as close to that huge DC area as Virginia Tech and also have a huge presence in western PA, not to mention the surrounding area. Their fanbase is UNREAL... seriously don't understand how a fanbase is that crazy growing up in the Big East where basketball >>>> football. But those folks absolutely live and die by WVU football.

I hope it goes through. Academics shouldn't be a stumbling block... we have some very good schools, but lets be real. The SEC is not about leading the way in academics and research outside of a few schools that have really built up great programs.

I never liked the idea of adding Mizzou to the SEC. Not that I dislike them or anything, they just aren't a good fit culturally. With all this hooplah about conference realignment, I'm really just hoping that the SEC maintains its identity and culture. A&M and WVU both fit in with SEC passion, intensity, focus on football.