Has A Rookie Ever Had As Many Yards Passing In His First Two Games?

Big Bubba

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Even in losing, which, lets be honest, isn't much of a surprise..

854 yards passing, 71 yards rushing in his first two starts. 5 Total TD, 3 Int.

He'll never put up the numbers the great Matt Ryan did in his first 3 seasons! Just ask any Falcon Homers here, They'll tell ya! :lol: :lol:

Forget homer comments, but in my opinion the QB's in the NFCS rank like this:

Brees

Freeman, Newton (tie)

Ryan

My comments are based the ability to take over a game and win it on your own.

And before I hear why Ryan shouldn't be in last place, without his running game, he is typically ineffective.

It's got to be one of the most statistically impressive starts ever for a rookie quarterback. That said, the Panthers need to take a little more off his shoulders if they're going to win some games. It's certainly easier to just throw the ball every down if Newton's going to get yards and teams are gearing up to stop the run but without that element of the offense Newton's going to be forced into mistakes and too many drives are going to stall without a running game to extend them. Newton obviously has the talent but if he's forced to be Superman every game as a rookie it will eventually create bad tendencies that will be hard to break later on when the Panthers ideally have a team around him.

Edited by Serge

Run game is hard to get going right now. Week 1, Cardinals stuffed the box with 8+ defenders seemingly every play. Hard to run against that. Week 2, Packers have some big guys on their line. Raji was stuffing the run like nobodies business, even though they weren't really playing to stop the run so much as they were playing to stop the pass.

Panthers run game has been very slow to start for the last 3 years straight........ I agree though, Everything doesn't need to be on Newton's shoulders just yet.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Wins happen when the run game starts. That, you're well aware of.

Not with Falcon Homers! It starts with Stain and it ends with Stain, everything and everyone else are simply details. They did the exact same thing with Vick! :rolleyes:

What Newton did today impressed me far more than what he did last week.

I admit I expected him to lay an egg today...

Panther fans can at least rest knowing they have a guy to build around for the next decade....

very impressive what he did today. he needs his run game so he doesnt have to throw so much and the wins will start coming in

Brees

Freeman, Newton (tie)

Ryan

And before I hear why Ryan shouldn't be in last place, without his running game, he is typically ineffective.

Someone's gone fishing i see.

Brees

Freeman, Newton (tie)

Ryan

your a fuggin idiot

Brees

Freeman, Newton (tie)

Ryan

I can get behind that.

Rankings aside, I honestly enjoy watching Brees, Freeman and now, Newton, do their thing.

Ryan, not so much. Not to knock Ryan, cause his team does seem to win a lot, and he is a good fit for their system.. but, he doesn't leave you on the edge of your seat wondering "Wtf is he going to do next?!" or, exclaiming "Holy h3ll, did you guys see that throw!!!!" For Falcon fans, I'm sure he's great to watch, just not so much for everyone else.

They had their moment in the sun though. For several years, Vick was one of the most entertaining qbs in the nfl to watch.. aside from when he was beating the Panthers to a pulp.

I can get behind that.

Rankings aside, I honestly enjoy watching Brees, Freeman and now, Newton, do their thing.

Ryan, not so much. Not to knock Ryan, cause his team does seem to win a lot, and he is a good fit for their system.. but, he doesn't leave you on the edge of your seat wondering "Wtf is he going to do next?!" or, exclaiming "Holy h3ll, did you guys see that throw!!!!" For Falcon fans, I'm sure he's great to watch, just not so much for everyone else.

They had their moment in the sun though. For several years, Vick was one of the most entertaining qbs in the nfl to watch.. aside from when he was beating the Panthers to a pulp.

the difference between me and you, is im less influenced by flashy players and more concerned with wins.

the thing is .. im not talking trash. but if you could seriously rank a qb who hasnt made it to the playoffs, and a rookie who hasnt won his first game yet over ryan. then you guys are more delusional then falcon homers

the difference between me and you, is im less influenced by flashy players and more concerned with wins.

the thing is .. im not talking trash. but if you could seriously rank a qb who hasnt made it to the playoffs, and a rookie who hasnt won his first game yet over ryan. then you guys are more delusional then falcon homers

As far as entertaining to watch, you have to have Brees/Freeman/Newton ahead of Ryan. That's not a dig at Ryan. The other three are entertaining for everyone who is watching. Ryan, even during all the wins, and good stats, is only really entertaining for Falcon fans. People watching other teams, they like flash. they like big plays that put you on the edge of your seat.

Like I said, The Falcons had their moment in the sun (in terms of entertaining qbs ) Vick was that for you guys. A lot of people not fans of the Falcons, tuned in to see what Vick did from one week to the next. Just because the guy was entertaining to watch. ... Even when the Falcons were losing , people still tuned in to see what Vick was doing. It would've been extremely rare to get another dynamic qb a year or two after the previous dynamic qb left.

Edited by NEWton rivERA

As far as entertaining to watch, you have to have Brees/Freeman/Newton ahead of Ryan. That's not a dig at Ryan. The other three are entertaining for everyone who is watching. Ryan, even during all the wins, and good stats, is only really entertaining for Falcon fans. People watching other teams, they like flash. they like big plays that put you on the edge of your seat.

Like I said, The Falcons had their moment in the sun (in terms of entertaining qbs ) Vick was that for you guys. A lot of people not fans of the Falcons, tuned in to see what Vick did from one week to the next. Just because the guy was entertaining to watch. ... Even when the Falcons were losing , people still tuned in to see what Vick was doing. It would've been extremely rare to get another dynamic qb a year or two after the previous dynamic qb left.

there once was a qb that made his money with short throws and check downs, his name was tom brady....not until 07 was brady as explosive as he is now

the funny thing is ever since brady became explosive he is 0-3 in the playoffs....when he played more like matt ryans style he won 3 superbowls.....just sayi n

LOL at "put you at the edge of your seat"

Ryan has done that more that then anyone you want to list cept maybe Brees.

Chicago X2, SF, TB x2 , Baltimore, NO, Philly the other night on a couple of occasions., and numerous other games where everyone not just falcon fans were on the "edge of heir seat"

The falcons have been in A LOT of close ball games with only a couple of minutes or less left. And more often then not Ryan has come through BIG TIME.

Chicago X2, SF, TB x2 , Baltimore, NO, Philly the other night on a couple of occasions., and numerous other games where everyone not just falcon fans were on the "edge of heir seat"

The falcons have been in A LOT of close ball games with only a couple of minutes or less left. And more often then not Ryan has come through BIG TIME.

good point im starting to wonder if he has any football knowledge at all

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

The same can be said about Freeman and he's been in the league 1 year less and he's 3 years younger. Plus he doesn't **** his pants during a game and has a semblance of a personality. WhiteBread/MilkToast puts people to sleep..

You all went from Gangsta (Vick) to this?????

If he doesn't get you all to the Super Bowl and soon your going be known as the most boring team of the Millennium! :P

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

good point im starting to wonder if he has any football knowledge at all

Lil' Miss Underpants is questioning someone else's football knowledge? That's RICH! :rolleyes:

Okay........I'm done with ya kid. You can go back to nap-time now. ;)