Dan Reeves Says The Falcons Abandoned Vick

UnrealfalcoN

Reeves says Falcons abandoned Vick

The rise, fall and stunning return of Michael Vick is well-documented — and he’s owned up to his shortcomings — but the ex-Falcons coach who drafted him, Dan Reeves, believes Atlanta’s franchise ultimately betrayed the quarterback.

“When Mike really needed them they turned their back on him in my opinion,” Reeves told PhillySportsDaily.com. “They could have been a big supporter and they let him go. I think it could have been handled differently.”

Reeves believed enough in Vick’s talents to engineer a draft-day trade with the Chargers to select the Virgina Tech QB No. 1 overall in 2001. Just like team owner Arther Blank, Reeves felt burned when Vick’s off-the-field transgressions led to an 18-month stay in federal prison on dogfighting charges. The Falcons moved on during Vick’s big-house odyssey — and it’s hard to blame them — but Reeves believes more could have been done to soften the transition.

“I wasn’t there, so I don’t know the organization’s standpoint, but I thought they could have been more supportive and instead they severed ties with him.”

Now Vick, the unquestioned leader of the Eagles — armed with a six-year, $100 million commitment from Philly — faces the Falcons on Sunday. It doesn’t ring true to label the game some sort of a revenge tilt for a jilted Vick — not even close. If we believe that Vick has truly experienced some sort of core transformation, Atlanta’s hard-line decision to let him go played a role in shaping the spectacle of his comeback.

www.nfl.com

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In Dan Reeves defense, I feel his comment was just a way of taking a shot back at what the Falcons did to Reeves. I highly disagrees with the decision for fire dan reeves after Vick was injured for most of the 2003 season. Reeves was given 2 QBs to work with who were not talented enough to play in the NFL. I think if Reeves would have been there he could have helped keep vick from making the decisions he made, Reeves was an old school coach and is the only coach to ever lead us to a title, Reeves never had a lot of talent to work with except in 1998 and we all saw what he did with the talent we had then. Reeves is only frustrated with what the Falcons did to him and i can understand that, this was just a chance to take a shot back.

In Dan Reeves defense, I feel his comment was just a way of taking a shot back at what the Falcons did to Reeves. I highly disagrees with the decision for fire dan reeves after Vick was injured for most of the 2003 season. Reeves was given 2 QBs to work with who were not talented enough to play in the NFL. I think if Reeves would have been there he could have helped keep vick from making the decisions he made, Reeves was an old school coach and is the only coach to ever lead us to a title, Reeves never had a lot of talent to work with except in 1998 and we all saw what he did with the talent we had then. Reeves is only frustrated with what the Falcons did to him and i can understand that, this was just a chance to take a shot back.

Ding..Ding. Actually if I remember it correctly, Dan chose to quit before the season's end because he got a vote of no confidence from Blank. Wade Phillips had to coach the final three games...

I believe Reeves is correct and not taking a shot at Atlanta. Like you said Reeves is old school and with support from the owner the situation Vick got into may have been prevented or diverted. Smith may be in charge with 3 winning seasons in a row but I believe the Foulcons are basement bound

The amazing thing about this Bull that Dan Reeves is talking, is that it defends his decision to draft Vick. Tomlinson, Brees, Steve Smith (Carolina), Seymour and Stroud, Casey Hampton, Shaun Rodger, Kris Jenkins, Nate Clements, Ochocinco. You can name a long list of players. We could have built a team. We are just getting right from those mistakes.

Whatever! Vick did Atlanta wrong. He had everything he ever needed and could of had more but he F'ed all that up. You can't sit there and tell me the right thing to do was wait around for him while he served time for some crap he did outside the DOME.

Who really cares what Dan thinks now? He doesn't have anything to do with us anymore.

GO FALCONS!

Yeah I always hated that Reeves was fired simply because Vick got hurt. We went most that year with Doug Johnson and Kurt Kittner at QB. In the end Vick made his choices and the Falcons couldn't just wait for him to get out of prison. It was time to move on.

Dan is right

He most certainly is. A lot of people do not know the truth about Blank. But I know people that know him and they most certainly do not buy the manufactured narrative.

When all was good, Blank was pushing Vick in a wheel chair and portraying himself as a so-called father figure. It was all a joke. They only reason he did that was because he knew the spotlight followed Vick and he wanted to be in it.

You have to remember, Dan Reeves knows exactly the type of person we are dealing with... Lest we forget how he was let go. Dan Reeves stuck it out with this team through thick and thin. Took this team to a Super Bowl. Brought this city a player that would inspire like no other. When that player got hurt... What did Blank do?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as soon as that player got well, Reeves was informed he would no longer be the coach. Interesting. It's funny how we talk about who left this team in shambles. Well, people in the know... Know.

When Dan Reeves left... there was nobody left to show Vick how it was done. There were only yes men. EVERYBODY KNEW ABOUT: the weed, the hangers on, and anything else that they did not know... it was because they did not want to know.

The fact is... Dan Reeves was the only person in Flowery Branch that had the guts to tell Vick... ahh... listen here fella... that's not how we roll around here.The irony is... Dan Reeves had the guts to say the same thing to Blank... and that's what got him fired.

Let me get this straight... What could possibly be the rationale for dismissing Reeves... WHEN VICK RETURNED!

The answer?

Dan Reeves was going to win with Vick... And once Reeves started winning, there would be no justification to remove him. Blank struck while the iron was hot... Straight out of a Greek Tragedy. I believe he envied the stature of Reeves. And when he turned on Vick, I saw the envy again.

I'm just thinking out loud here...

Blank pushed Vick in a wheel chair and pushed the narrative of being a father figure... OK?

1) Art Modell never did this... and he testified for Ray Lewis at his MURDER TRIAL.

2) Plaxico Burress was always in a rocky relationship with the Giants... When he got out of prison? They call him in for a sit down.

3) Vick got a signing bonus from Blank. As a result, Blank got a dome that was over run with paying customers. Vick gets into trouble... Blank goes into so-called father figure mode and sues Vick for the signing bonus AND keeps every nickel he made off the fans.

Out of the three scenarios... who's the phony?

Edited by Daddy's Home

Ding..Ding. Actually if I remember it correctly, Dan chose to quit before the season's end because he got a vote of no confidence from Blank. Wade Phillips had to coach the final three games...

he may have quit but he was about to get fired any way, if you knew u were going to be fired from your job why waste the time going to work

Well considering Reeves had TOTAL and COMPLETE football controll it was nto a matter of hat he was "given"...HE was was the one who made the decisions.

HE was the one who chose to have maybe the single worst draft in nfl hisoty in 1997.

He was the one who let Tony Martin go before he had a fair trial.

HE was the one who traded up for Reggie Kelly.

HE was the one who decided to go with the likes of Danny Kannel, Dough Johnson, Tony Graziani etc.

So basically in a nut shell the ONLY one to blame for a lack of talent on the atleast roster from 1997- 2003 is Dan Reeves.

what were we supposed to do? keep supporting our felon/SUSPENDED qb? put him on a couple more billboards around the city? gone to leavenworth to interview him for some AF.com videos?

had we brought him back in 09 and sat him or ryan while the other played our fanbase/team/city would've been torn. we tried to trade him but nobody bit. trading ryan would've been the schaub trade 2.0, but probably worse because ryan was younger and had more upside.

if he had not gotten himself in trouble in the first place vick would've still been a falcon. he abonded the franchise and the fans if you ask me.

Not necessarily. Vick put this franchise in a very very bad situation that could have set us back a decade. Ultimately we have an Owner/Coach/GM that was not going to allow that to happen, and we ended up better in the end.

But it didn't. The lost year (2007) allowed us to get a high draft pick to draft Ryan. We've had three straight winning seasons since. Looks to me that Vick did us a favor...

Well considering Reeves had TOTAL and COMPLETE football controll it was nto a matter of hat he was "given"...HE was was the one who made the decisions.

HE was the one who chose to have maybe the single worst draft in nfl hisoty in 1997.

He was the one who let Tony Martin go before he had a fair trial.

HE was the one who traded up for Reggie Kelly.

HE was the one who decided to go with the likes of Danny Kannel, Dough Johnson, Tony Graziani etc.

So basically in a nut shell the ONLY one to blame for a lack of talent on the atleast roster from 1997- 2003 is Dan Reeves.

Hes to blame for the falcons going to the super bowl in 1998

If Vick's cousin hadn't been using the house on Moonlight to party, the dogs wouldn't have been found, and the dog fighting may still not have been exposed to this day. Vick didn't voluntarily give it up - he got caught and then he got out of it. I'll give him his due, he has served his time and he has taken steps to make amends. But back when the shlt hit the fan, Michael Vick lied to Mr. Blank, denying any involvement whatsoever. When asked again, he lied again. Point blank (no pun intended), right to his face. When the truth came out that he was involved, that he had knowledge of and was even present during dog fights, it was then that ATL and Blank cut ties with Vick. Vick looked Blank in the eye and lied to him. At that point he fell totally off of my respect-o-meter.

So Dan Reeves is now a crack-head? That's the only possible excuse to make such an idiotic, no make that imbecilic, comment for public consumption. Come on, Dan, what part of Vick's departure from Atlanta was the fault of Arthur Blank or the Falcons?

Vick was paid a king's ransom to come to Atlanta. Instead of trying to earn his $100mm salary, Vick instead acts like a street thug, then lies and tries to shift the blame when it's determined he's fighting and killing dogs. Vick didn't deserve to be coddled and kept a part of the team; his actions and attitude didn't indicate he cared at all for the owner, the town or his own family.

I got a hot news flash for you Mr. Reeves: You, sir, are a complete, unadulterated, Grade-A, USDA inspected, card-carrying moron.