I Don't Understand Why Nascar Is Sweeping Obvious Cheating Under The Rug.

Peyton

These guys at NASCAR spend so much time measuring cars, remeasuring, analyzing whether somebody goes under the yellow line or not, etc. etc. etc. to the point it becomes rediculous.

Now there is an instant of a race car team cheating that couldn't possibly be any more obvious....a case where a guy intentionally wrecked himself to give his teammate a chance to win the race......and they put out a statement that says' "uh...yeah......we don't see any evidence they did anything wrong".

I don't get it.

NASCAR has a serious credibility problem, that is why they are losing fans something terrible.

These guys at NASCAR spend so much time measuring cars, remeasuring, analyzing whether somebody goes under the yellow line or not, etc. etc. etc. to the point it becomes rediculous.

Now there is an instant of a race car team cheating that couldn't possibly be any more obvious....a case where a guy intentionally wrecked himself to give his teammate a chance to win the race......and they put out a statement that says' "uh...yeah......we don't see any evidence they did anything wrong".

I don't get it.

NASCAR has a serious credibility problem, that is why they are losing fans something terrible.

Teams have ALWAYS done that, and you can believe in his heyday Jeff Gordon benifitted from a lot of " convenient" crashes himself. To hear him complaining about this is laughable.

NASCAR has a serious credibility problem I agree, but for Jeffy to act like this is something new is ridiculous. Any sport that constantly changes rules in mid season has a credibility issue with me, and NASCAR is known for that BS.

And I always hated Bill Elliot, but I remember when he was blowing folks doors off and their solution has always been to slow the faster guys down instead of telling everyone else to catch the #### up. Whether its a Ford, Chevy or whatever that's fastest.

Teams have ALWAYS done that, and you can believe in his heyday Jeff Gordon benifitted from a lot of " convenient" crashes himself. To hear him complaining about this is laughable.

That's kind of besides the point. If Hendrick got caught doing this, and they never have, I would say the same thing.

I mean, if they are going to let teams get away with this, stop with the rediculous inspections every week.

At least having none of the rules enforced would show some consistency.

• 2 weeks later...

NASCAR has a serious credibility problem I agree, but for Jeffy to act like this is something new is ridiculous. Any sport that constantly changes rules in mid season has a credibility issue with me, and NASCAR is known for that BS.

And I always hated Bill Elliot, but I remember when he was blowing folks doors off and their solution has always been to slow the faster guys down instead of telling everyone else to catch the #### up. Whether its a Ford, Chevy or whatever that's fastest.

You got that right .the day they stopped the teams from racing what they brought was the day nascar became a soap opera with Jeff Gordon the leading actress.

Add this to the many reasons why too much money is ruining the sport. It used to be you didn't have to be a multi millionaire to have a racing team in which you fielded one car. The rising costs have pushed most of the little guys out so therefore only the Hendricks, Childress', Roush's etc can afford to run their multi-teams. NASCAR can't just tell these guys, "no, one owner, one car" because their tv contracts are tied to having a full 43 car field. Literally, if they show up with only a 42 car field for a race one weekend, they don't get paid from who ever is broadcasting that week. So don't look for the NASCAR brass to go making rules to limit owners to 1 to 2 cars anytime soon. I've wanted a spending cap for years now, but I don't see it happening.

Another reason you're seeing stuff like intentionally bringing out cautions is because of the cars being way too aero sensitive and the Goodyear tires not dropping off. At the 1.5 mile ovals in particular, clean air is a drivers best friend anymore. Once out front, the lead car is getting all the down force while everyone behind him is getting the dirty air. With no hope in catching the lead car, you're seeing drivers/teams resort to dirty tactics to bringing out the yellow to bunch the field back up. Been saying for years now get the cars UP off the ground so air can get under the car and let the guy in second place have some down force...

NASCAR had lightning in a bottle in the 1980's. The racing was great, the cars looked like what they sold in the showrooms and all the manufactures we're competitive. Look how much higher the front clip was on the Monte Carlo's for instance:

1985nascar.jpg

At the end of the day, its NASCAR's and the networks fault. I've been watching NASCAR since it was "The Grand National Series", and then "The Winston Cup Series". Before it followed the way of stick and ball sports and went corporate you would see guys spin out and if they were not in danger of getting hit by another car, or if the car could continue on, NASCAR would not throw the yellow flag. Now the yellow is thrown at every single opportunity so the networks can run their commercials. If no spin has happened, they'll throw a yellow at the sight of a hot dog wrapper. All just so the networks get their full allotment of commercials in during the race. We didn't have this problem when NASCAR wasn't mainstreem (sic) and little ESPN were the only ones showing a select amount of races. Now the precedent has been set for throwing the yellow at the first sign of "trouble" and the drivers know it and take full advantage of it.

I knew reaching for the "mainstream fan" would be a bad idea for NASCAR. Give me my redneck sport back! :)