Falcons Rapid Reports: Sept. 16 And Sept. 15

theProf

Latest Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 16, 2011 5:16 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Knee will keep McClure out on Sunday

C Todd McClure (knee) has been ruled out for Sunday night’s game against Philadelphia. McClure injured his knee in practice on Aug. 25 and then re-injured the same knee in a preseason game on Aug. 27 in Pittsburgh. DT Jonathan Babineaux (knee) is the only other player to already have been ruled out. Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 16, 2011 5:01 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Falcons CB Owens partial participant in practice

CB Christopher Owens (ankle) was a partial participant in practice on Friday while FB Ovie Mughelli (knee), WR Roddy White (knee), DT Corey Peters (knee), and WR Harry Douglas (concussion) were all full participants. Owens is questionable for Sunday against Philadelphia and Mughelli, White, Peters, and Douglas are probable. Falcons RapidReports

7 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - What to watch for Sunday: Protection for Ryan

What to Watch Sunday: No quarterback in the NFL was sacked more than Matt Ryan in Week 1. Ryan was also hit often and rushed frequently, meaning he had little time to go through his progressions and had to check down often. Atlanta must give Ryan more time against the Philadelphia “Wide-Nine” pass rush. Falcons RapidReports

8 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Watch to watch for Sunday: ball protection

What to watch for Sunday: Atlanta, uncharacteristically, turned the ball over three times against Chicago and only forced one turnover. Their -2 turnover differential in Week 1 was only better than one team, Seattle, at -3. Head Coach Mike Smith said ball protection is one of his keys to winning Sunday night. Falcons RapidReports

11 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - What to watch for Sunday: keeping Vick off the field

What to watch for Sunday: The only sure-fire method of stopping Mike Vick is keeping him off the field. Atlanta’s offense must put together lengthy, yardage-churning drives that wear down Philadelphia defense. This might mean QB Matt Ryan uses a lot of short and underneath routes and the Falcons look to run the ball a lot. Falcons RapidReports

13 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - What to watch for Sunday: Missed tackles

What to watch for Sunday: Atlanta missed 17 tackles against Chicago – the most since head coach Mike Smith’s arrival -- two of which lead to big gains, including a score. Against a speedy Philadelphia team with an elusive quarterback like Mike Vick, Atlanta must wrap up and bring ball carriers to the ground on first contact. Falcons RapidReports

16 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - With history against them, Falcons start anew on short game

Offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey said to be successful against Philadelphia’s defense, Atlanta must drive the ball in spurts and limit mistakes: “Typically, offensively, we haven’t made those mistakes and we’ve put long drives together for scores, that’s been our history since we’ve been here. But that has not been our history in 2011, including preseason.” Falcons RapidReports

18 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Eagles' new-look defense to be a challenge for Falcons

Offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey said Philadelphia’s defense has been overhauled and poses problems for Atlanta's offense because of the new look: “They’ve changed coordinators, they’re scheme has changed dramatically, they’re much sounder and they’ve got a lot of new faces on the defense that are very confident in what they’re doing.” Falcons RapidReports

19 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Falcons work hard on stopping Eagles' reverse

Defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder on the problems Philadelphia’s misdirection posed to the Falcons last year and one of the ways they’re preparing: “We worked the reverse all week long – it’s a big part of their system and what they do.” Falcons RapidReports

21 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Containing Vick is the key to stopping him

Defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder said stopping Mike Vick will be more about execution and intensity than game-planning: “We’ll have a number of ways to try to contain, but we won’t do anything different than he’s seen in his career. His entire career has been a challenge for every defense because of his ability to run.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 15, 2011 5:42 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Falcons might have success in run vs. Eagles' formation

FB Ovie Mughelli likes the matchup Philadelphia’s “Wide-Nine” defensive line technique -- which places the ends outside the tackles on the offensive line to utilize speed to get to the quarterback -- creates: “They’re pretty much daring you to run inside because they feel like they can stop you inside. We feel like we can run inside.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 15, 2011 5:35 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - FB Mughelli limited, but doesn't want to miss next game

FB Ovie Mughelli was limited in practice Thursday because of a knee injury he sustained Sunday in Chicago, but said he was definitely going to play in Week 2 against the Eagles: “I wouldn’t miss this game for anything.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 15, 2011 2:49 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Hayden, Sanders might see only special teams role

CB Kelvin Hayden didn’t play in Chicago and S James Sanders only played special teams as both try to get indoctrinated and up to speed on defense. They’re ahead of where they were last week, but head coach Mike Smith wouldn’t commit to playing time on defense. “They definitely will be involved in special teams,” Smith said. Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 15, 2011 2:42 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Injury forces TE Branson off practice squad

TE Marquez Branson dislocated his knee cap in practice Wednesday and was moved off the practice squad roster. The Falcons signed TE Tommy Gallarda Thursday to replace Branson. Gallarda was signed by Jacksonville this season but waived when rosters were reduced to 53 players. Coach Mike Smith calls Gallarda a “big, blocking tight end.” Falcons RapidReports

http://www.cbssports...eports/team/ATL

Sept. 15, 2011 5:42 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Falcons might have success in run vs. Eagles' formation

FB Ovie Mughelli likes the matchup Philadelphia’s “Wide-Nine” defensive line technique -- which places the ends outside the tackles on the offensive line to utilize speed to get to the quarterback -- creates: “They’re pretty much daring you to run inside because they feel like they can stop you inside. We feel like we can run inside.” Falcons RapidReports

i like it

It's funny how, after one bad game, the media seems to think getting sacked a lot and turning the ball over is the norm for Falcons' football

The media and many fans have a "last game" mentality. Seems like a team's latest game is super-magnified in their minds, and they can't get over it until the next game is played. However, Atlanta's problems go back to the end of last season, when they lost two home games (New Orleans and Green Bay), and then all four preseason games, and continued into the first regular game of this season. Is there a bad losing trend developing, or can the Falcons right the ship and get back to Winning?

Latest Falcons RapidReports

8 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Watch to watch for Sunday: ball protection

What to watch for Sunday: Atlanta, uncharacteristically, turned the ball over three times against Chicago and only forced one turnover. Their -2 turnover differential in Week 1 was only better than one team, Seattle, at -3. Head Coach Mike Smith said ball protection is one of his keys to winning Sunday night. Falcons RapidReports

11 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - What to watch for Sunday: keeping Vick off the field

What to watch for Sunday: The only sure-fire method of stopping Mike Vick is keeping him off the field. Atlanta’s offense must put together lengthy, yardage-churning drives that wear down Philadelphia defense. This might mean QB Matt Ryan uses a lot of short and underneath routes and the Falcons look to run the ball a lot. Falcons RapidReports

16 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - With history against them, Falcons start anew on short game

Offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey said to be successful against Philadelphia’s defense, Atlanta must drive the ball in spurts and limit mistakes: “Typically, offensively, we haven’t made those mistakes and we’ve put long drives together for scores, that’s been our history since we’ve been here. But that has not been our history in 2011, including preseason.” Falcons RapidReports

From the above quotes, appears that the Falcons are going to abandon the new explosive plays, aggressive and quick-strike offensive mantra, and go back to the old conservative, smash-mouth, time-consuming drive, take no undue risk/"ball protection" type of offense.

Thank you Magnus! That's my point! It seems that the Falcons had THE WORST game of anybody on Sunday. They are making it out like we are at the bottom of the totem pole. Lol it's just funny.

But I wouldn't really use the PS games as the starters "won" the game, the back-ups lost them. They were outscoring their opponents 30-3 before the PIT game. How do you lose after that kind of margin? I think the defense just took the Bears lightly and the offensive lines restricted Matt Ryan's impact.

Now if this happens again, then I will say it is an issue.

Watching the 2001 Patriots on NFL network and I bet those fans were going crazy, they started 1-3. I have officially threw away the panic button. GO FALCONS!!

Well I'm not in a "Panic" mode either, but I am in a "Concerned" mode. Some teams have turned things around, but some haven't. I'm just hoping and praying that the Falcons can get its Winning mojo back.

Well I'm not in a "Panic" mode either, but I am in a "Concerned" mode. Some teams have turned things around, but some haven't. I'm just hoping and praying that the Falcons can get its Winning mojo back.

100% on geting their mojo back. Maybe Dr. Evil swiped the mojo. lol

Edited by nomak

100% on geting their mojo back. Maybe Dr. Evil swiped the mojo. lol

Dr. Evil: Mojo: The libido. The life force. The essence. The right stuff. What the French call a certain... I don't know what.

Jerry Springer: You know, what have we learned here today? Perhaps it's that no one can take your mojo. You can look around all you want, but what you're really trying to find is on the inside. Take care of yourself, and each other.

It's funny how, after one bad game, the media seems to think getting sacked a lot and turning the ball over is the norm for Falcons' football

It will be if the Falcons continue to try to be a pass happy offense. They're not built for that, even with the drafting of Julio. Their best chance of winning this week is playing heavy run packages.

I know we had problems blocking last week and I was wondering did Reggie Kelly play any? I mean he could have helped baker from getting used as tp by peppers. I don't remember seein him at all?

I don't know if Reggie Kelly played or not, but Pat Yasinskas thinks that Baker didn't get enough help against Peppers last week. From his latest chat:

" Tony (Annapolis MD)

Wanted to know your thought s on the Bushrod vs Peppers matchup / mismatch for the Saints game. This seems to be a very big mismatch that is being overlooked.

Pat Yasinskas (1:12 PM)

No doubt it's a mismatch. But Saints do a good job of giving Bushrod help. I don't think Falcons gave Baker enough help in his matchup with Peppers last week."

Sept. 16, 2011 5:16 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Knee will keep McClure out on Sunday

C Todd McClure (knee) has been ruled out for Sunday night’s game against Philadelphia. McClure injured his knee in practice on Aug. 25 and then re-injured the same knee in a preseason game on Aug. 27 in Pittsburgh. DT Jonathan Babineaux (knee) is the only other player to already have been ruled out. Falcons RapidReports

<p class="buttonBar stacked" style="width: 58px; height: 58px; overflow: hidden">

Sept. 16, 2011 5:01 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Falcons CB Owens partial participant in practice

CB Christopher Owens (ankle) was a partial participant in practice on Friday while FB Ovie Mughelli (knee), WR Roddy White (knee), DT Corey Peters (knee), and WR Harry Douglas (concussion) were all full participants. Owens is questionable for Sunday against Philadelphia and Mughelli, White, Peters, and Douglas are probable. Falcons RapidReports