Dawson Devitt...spot On At The Ajc

lostnmexico

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-fans/2011/09/15/wobbly-falcons-host-dream-team-eagles/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_fans

Sometimes coaches’ postgame comments can be overanalyzed or misinterpreted, especially after a loss. Fans look for any morsel to help explain away big losses like the ones the Falcons were witness to in Chicago. Most times, postgame comments are meant to soothe worried fans confidence. Coach Mike Smith, Mike Mularkey, and Brain Van Gorder’s comments may be doing the opposite.

Smith was quoted as saying that “we’re only going to take what the defense gives us” (paraphrasing). Mularkey said “we’re not going to force the deep ball if it’s not there.” And Van Gorder said that they were “behind in tackling” because “we just haven’t had that many opportunities to tackle.” So let’s see if we can get this straight, you talk all offseason about being “explosive,” which by association means being aggressive, and this is what you give after being steamrolled 30-12 in the season opener?

Fans are sick to death of hearing about how new defensive additions to the team “aren’t ready because they haven’t learned the defensive system.” What’s so difficult about Van Gorder’s defensive system? Drop your All-Pro defensive end 15 yards down the field to cover receivers on 3rd down: check. Give 10 yard soft cheese zones that receivers can run circles around: check. Never send creative blitz schemes and stunts: check. When you do blitz, run the most telling and obvious blitz in the world (telegraphed nickel blitz) that never works: check. Allow offenses to convert their 3rd downs, regardless of how far they have to go: check. Seems pretty easy to most of us.

In all seriousness, hard to believe we won’t see James Sanders and Kelvin Hayden in this game with all the Eagles speed and offensive talent in the pass game. Sanders experience would be much appreciated and Hayden’s potential as a desperately needed, legit nickel back would surely be welcome. Just get them in the game and stop with the “difficult defensive system” stuff.

It's not a matter of difficulty, with the scheme, it's the terminology. It'd be like me coming up and telling you to go turn on the water spigot, but instead I walked up to you and said, "Purple Bellies Torn Asunder" I mean ffs, if I gave you the key you'd get it, but if I just walked up and said that you wouldn't know what to do. Or worse yet, what if all your life you had heard that a spigot was the water nozzle on the side of the house, when for me I say spigot and I mean the front porch light?

It'd be total chaos, so, you tell a guy to run a zone coverage on a deep 3rd, and for him the terminology he's used to means blitz...you just gave up a touchdown.

Still, the terminology may be the hard part, the defense in itself is very simple and poorly script at times. Why does he insist on dropping one of the best DEs in the league into coverage on third in long, then ask why we are low on sacks and 3rd down stops? Think about the first 3rd down the Bears converted. Abe dropped into coverage and was lost. Zone blitzes work if you can get pressure. Well why take 50% of your pressure away and replace it with a 180lbs nickel corner who the tackle can easily swallow? The QB now has more time to wait for the hole in the zone to open up.

Instead, why not just send the 4 down linemen AND the nickel? Now you get more pressure and force a quicker throw? BVG is trying to over think things. He thinks that on 3rd down, they are going to double Abe but when he drops, they will hestitate and a quicker nickel will beat them with speed. Well, he doesn't realize that they can see the blitz coming from a mile away so when Abe drops, they just switch. The reason the blitz worked vs the Saints was because Abe always rushed with Williams, Williams just couldn't sack Brees.

BVG either needs a more complex scheme or stop acting like it is so difficult. They are holding onto Sanders and Hayden like the jokers in spades. They better play them before it's too late...

I'd like to see Hayden come in the game in nickel situations outside and let Dunta slide inside a lot like the Broncos are doing with Champ Bailey. Send Dunta on blitzes and use him to take away the coveted slot receivers every team seems to have these days. He hasn't exactly been a game changer outside, might as well try something new.