My Falcon's Offensive Game Plan

Theyhateme : )

Okay guys and girls,

We all know that we have the players in place to be a more "explosive" team on offense. This is what the coaches said they wanted to be coming into this year. The evidence is moving up 20+ slots in the draft to select Julio Jones. Couple that with a heathly HD and instantly we have the ability and expectations to be a high-scoring and more explosive offense that we've ever seen.

However, while we eagerly wait to see this barrage of offense fire-power, I caution us NOT to expect it this game. For many reasons:

1. Everyone around the leauge expects us to be more explosive with the pass, so DCs will do their best to limit the number of downfield completions.

2. Between Nnamdi, Samuel and Reids game planning, it's be more difficult, that we as fans can image, to get the ball downfield with our OLine and all of the other dynamics that WILL surround this game.

3. Andy Reid owns us defensively! The game that stands out was the NFCCG when Dawkins put that BIG HIT on Crumpler downfield.

So having said that, let's not be too disappointed if we can't get the ball downfield. This is not the defense to try and accomplish that against. Here's what I think we should do on offense:

1. Established Turner on offense...pound the rock against their LB corp as they have a total of 12 years experience. We'd be crazy not to.

2. Run more cutbacks/screens with Quizz/Snelling. Catch these inexperience LBs out of position.

3. Let's use JJ on the drags and Gonzo underneth. Absolutely No Smoke or outs as Nnmadi and Samuels will win that matchup against Ryan. If Ryan doesn't rocket that pass to the outside, it will be a pick 6. I'd stay away from that play.

4. Pass deep off of play action. This is our STRENTH right now.

The philosophy of the Philly defense has worked for them many, many years - so now wouldn't be the time to employ the "explosive" gameplan mindset.

Kick the ball out of the endzone. Run the ball (Turner), JJ drag, cutbacks/screens (Quizz/Snelling) Gonzo in the soft zone, pass deep off of play action (Roddy/HD/JJ). This is our best chance at staying competitive.

I completely agree with most of your post. The entire fan base especially after last weeks loss will be even more starved for our explosive offense to show its face. The problem with that is that would be playing right into the hands of Phillis strengths. This is a perfect game for getting back to the basics and pounding the rock. I was hoping we would have the bears game tape to show our down field strength by now but that didnt work so well vs the bears. Regardless we need to put the pressure on their safeties and their linebackers. If our o line wants to redeem themselves this is their chance. They better feel like they owe Ryan some great play after last weeks poor performance.

3. Andy Reid owns us defensively! The game that stands out was the NFCCG when Dawkins put that BIG HIT on Crumpler downfield.

So having said that, let's not be too disappointed if we can't get the ball downfield. This is not the defense to try and accomplish that against. Here's what I think we should do on offense:

the Eagles have a first year defensive coordinator calling the shots. if MM can't use his almost 20 plus years of being an offensive coach to out-scheme the Eagle defense ... then I don't know what to tell you.

good stuff though

Honestly, Mularkeyball is the best route to take this week. Their linebackers are terrible so they offer better matchups for the TEs for both blocking and receiving which make the running game that much more effective. An established running game will also help in the passing game by offering a more balanced attack (they threw the ball about 80% of the time last week) overall and sets up the playaction for some shots down field. What I'd add are screens, obviously some RB screens to counter blitzing but more importantly bubble screens to take advantage of the poor tackling that Asante and Nnamdi are known for.

Something else that I failed to mention:

Even if we get the same amout or more targets to JJ as we did Jenkins and we will, those targets themselves would translate as more explosive off the running game, because JJ is a more explosive player. I do want to see us get that ball down the field, but not at the expense of forcing it and putting ourselves in a hole.

Just run the ball until they prove they can stop it...Our O-line is better suited for the run than they are in pass protection and we can control the clock this way...whatever keeps our defense off the field will only help.

The main thing I think we need to do this week is get the first score...We are a hard team to play if you give us a lead as we can beat you in so many ways...On the flip side, we haven't proven to anyone that we are capable of coming back from two scores.

Get the early lead and pound the rock

Just run the ball until they prove they can stop it...Our O-line is better suited for the run than they are in pass protection and we can control the clock this way...whatever keeps our defense off the field will only help.

The main thing I think we need to do this week is get the first score...We are a hard team to play if you give us a lead as we can beat you in so many ways...On the flip side, we haven't proven to anyone that we are capable of coming back from two scores.

Get the early lead and pound the rock

I agree. Coming back from two scores has been a task. I hate to think about it as much as I hate to see the defense trying to defend a 3rd down.

I think we will see a heavy dose of runs early to make the LBs win the game for them, barring turnovers. Their front 7 is light in the pants. This will set up play action, which is Ryan and the OLine's best friend. I hope our first play is a play action deep shot. Whether it's there or not. If it's not there, overthrow everybody. But get the crowd behind us early in anticipation for it and the defense on their heels.

I think we will see a heavy dose of runs early to make the LBs win the game for them, barring turnovers. Their front 7 is light in the pants. This will set up play action, which is Ryan and the OLine's best friend. I hope our first play is a play action deep shot. Whether it's there or not. If it's not there, overthrow everybody. But get the crowd behind us early in anticipation for it and the defense on their heels.

That wouldn't be a bad first play. I agree. I've always preferred Ryan to just overthrow the ball rather an not take a shot. The worst is an incomplete pass...comeback with Turner or JJ Drag.

Outside of a W, I want to see more third and short situations. Tony said he wants more seam routes to clear out the middle, and then I say HD or Julio on some slants.

We definately need a win because it will be some drama within the division and the NFC. Looking ahead, even if we win the division, it'll be another tough NFC playoff opponent. But by then, hopefully we would've established that we can stretch the field and consistantly makes "explosive" plays!