Matt Ryan Does What He Can - Let Me Explain.

Aria7

I have seen many posts blaming Ryan for last Sunday's collapse against the Bears.

Lets gets some facts straight:

1) Ryan delegates the plays he is told to carry out.

2) Ryan will not be able to throw deep if he has no time to stand in the pocket.

3) Recievers will only do what they are told and will not go deep in the first place if the are told to run underneath routes and hooks.

4) Ryan was forced to dink and dunk since only 4 linemen were sufficiently used to put pressure on him while the other 7 were playing deep.

5) Ryan did pass for more than 300 yards; While this is not considered as big of a deal in today's NFL, it certainly is decent considering the pressure he was recieving as well as the lack of a running game.

6) Though the Falcons do technically pass more than run, they run first on first downs which is highly predictable to defensive coordinators and the curl and hitch routes mean the defense has less field to cover.

7) QBs help the teams win games even if they see the ball more often than any other position, but it is still a TEAM sport and isolating Wins and Losses to one position is special pleading.

8) Even though Drew Brees throw more deep balls than Ryan for instance, no way anyone can say that Ryan lacks the arm strength to do the same and to assume that Ryan's arm is too weak. Joe Montana and Tom Brady have comparable arms. At best one MIGHT argue accuracy on the deep throw, but not for lack of arm strength. Ryan probably will never have the strongest throwing arm but his arm strength is comparable to the majority of the NFL. Ryan is just as strong or stronger than Drew Brees.

If there is a negative on Ryan, I personally believe Ryan maybe too conservative on some of his decision making BECAUSE since Ryan came to the NFL as a rookie, the critics said that Ryan threw too many INTs coming out of college (People were hung up on those 19 INTs when playing for boston college), and Ryan maybe taking less chances in order to avoid turnovers. If you noticed Ryan has thrown LESS AND LESS INTs in each year of the NFL - Ryan has definately been aware of this problem and played accordingly.

This maybe a no win situation for Matt; If he takes chances downfield to help be more aggressive but throws picks because he lacks time and increased coverage by more defenders, the critics would be blaming Ryan for being careless instead of overly-conservative.

It could also possible be that MM is being conservative on his playcalling because he is aware of the offensive line problems and calls plays that allows Ryan to get rid of the ball quickly. However MM could call more slant route that would allow for recievers to run after the catch rather than hooks that forces the reciever to stop, catch, turn AND THEN run - Which is ironic since this does take time also to develope. So I do blame some of this on the Offensive Coordinator.

Ultimately I do blame TD and here is the reasons why:

1) Other than a handful of draft picks, the majority of his picks are not panning out.

2) TD tends to draft players who are reaches for their draft position.

3) TD drafts according to need rather than best player available or trading down to get those same or comparable picks.

4) TD's trade to get Julio Jones (I love Jones as a player) was way too steep when he miscalculated in thinking the team is only 1 player away instead of addressing several positions in need - once again this is a team sport and no one player can do it all.

I think the determining factor for this team will not only be talent at the offensive line, but overall team depth. The Falcons will not be able to handle any injury problems to really ANY of their starters. The Falcon talent pool is spread to thin.

I hope the Falcons beat those Eagles if anything. I hate the Eagles more than any team because YKW is a POS - I just don't think they can handle the Eagles speed wise. It is going to be a long game and the nut huggers will be happy.

If there is a God, there will be a miracle in the Georgia Dome.

I have seen many posts blaming Ryan for last Sunday's collapse against the Bears.

Lets gets some facts straight:

1) Ryan delegates the plays he is told to carry out.

2) Ryan will not be able to throw deep if he has no time to stand in the pocket.

3) Recievers will only do what they are told and will not go deep in the first place if the are told to run underneath routes and hooks.

4) Ryan was forced to dink and dunk since only 4 linemen were sufficiently used to put pressure on him while the other 7 were playing deep.

5) Ryan did pass for more than 300 yards; While this is not considered as big of a deal in today's NFL, it certainly is decent considering the pressure he was recieving as well as the lack of a running game.

6) Though the Falcons do technically pass more than run, they run first on first downs which is highly predictable to defensive coordinators and the curl and hitch routes mean the defense has less field to cover.

7) QBs help the teams win games even if they see the ball more often than any other position, but it is still a TEAM sport and isolating Wins and Losses to one position is special pleading.

8) Even though Drew Brees throw more deep balls than Ryan for instance, no way anyone can say that Ryan lacks the arm strength to do the same and to assume that Ryan's arm is too weak. Joe Montana and Tom Brady have comparable arms. At best one MIGHT argue accuracy on the deep throw, but not for lack of arm strength. Ryan probably will never have the strongest throwing arm but his arm strength is comparable to the majority of the NFL. Ryan is just as strong or stronger than Drew Brees.

If there is a negative on Ryan, I personally believe Ryan maybe too conservative on some of his decision making BECAUSE since Ryan came to the NFL as a rookie, the critics said that Ryan threw too many INTs coming out of college (People were hung up on those 19 INTs when playing for boston college), and Ryan maybe taking less chances in order to avoid turnovers. If you noticed Ryan has thrown LESS AND LESS INTs in each year of the NFL - Ryan has definately been aware of this problem and played accordingly.

This maybe a no win situation for Matt; If he takes chances downfield to help be more aggressive but throws picks because he lacks time and increased coverage by more defenders, the critics would be blaming Ryan for being careless instead of overly-conservative.

It could also possible be that MM is being conservative on his playcalling because he is aware of the offensive line problems and calls plays that allows Ryan to get rid of the ball quickly. However MM could call more slant route that would allow for recievers to run after the catch rather than hooks that forces the reciever to stop, catch, turn AND THEN run - Which is ironic since this does take time also to develope. So I do blame some of this on the Offensive Coordinator.

Ultimately I do blame TD and here is the reasons why:

1) Other than a handful of draft picks, the majority of his picks are not panning out.

2) TD tends to draft players who are reaches for their draft position.

3) TD drafts according to need rather than best player available or trading down to get those same or comparable picks.

4) TD's trade to get Julio Jones (I love Jones as a player) was way too steep when he miscalculated in thinking the team is only 1 player away instead of addressing several positions in need - once again this is a team sport and no one player can do it all.

I think the determining factor for this team will not only be talent at the offensive line, but overall team depth. The Falcons will not be able to handle any injury problems to really ANY of their starters. The Falcon talent pool is spread to thin.

I hope the Falcons beat those Eagles if anything. I hate the Eagles more than any team because YKW is a POS - I just don't think they can handle the Eagles speed wise. It is going to be a long game and the nut huggers will be happy.

If there is a God, there will be a miracle in the Georgia Dome.

So basically Ryan needs a pro bowl oline, probowl receiver, pro bowl running back, hof te, highest paid fullback, and a wr that costed 2 1sts 2 2nds and a 4th just to throw deep passes consistently? LOL @ stronger than drew brees. LOL!!!!!

Make that claim when Ryan successfully throws deep more in a season than Brees has in a single game.

Edited by Phalcon Phil

No. Any Qb needs a decent offensive line. O-lines help everyone. Even the commentators admitted that Ryan had no time to throw and would not last the season given the amount of punishment he was taking and anticipating the punishment he will take IF the offensive line continues to play like that.

POS Vick and Rodgers have the legs to compensate for a terrible O-line and Ryan does not. I don't think it is his arm but inablility to run that would help him counter the lack of protection.

Your last point was clearly a strawman. I never said that Ryan throws better deep balls than Brees, in terms of accuracy, but I did mention a rebuttal to many posters who claim that Ryan is not strong enough.

Lets get more facts straight:

1) Turner went to the Pro Bowl but he is unable to catch out of the backfield which many offences around the league to have - RBs who can catch. Yes Quizz can catch but he is third on the depth chart and will not be on the field the same time Turner is.

2) Turner and Gonzo are both at the ends of their careers, so talking about their past means nothing. It is how they play right now.

3) Giving up all those picks does not mean Jones was worth the trade OR that by giving up so much that makes him automatically better. The offensive line has been a problem for YEARS and though it was addressed a little, the line continues to be even more of an issue.

4) Matt Ryan does not play defense nor calls his own plays and you are putting the wins and losses squarly on his shoulders which is absolutely stupid - this is a team sport.

5) The reality is the Falcons play football more on heart than beating opponents on talent. I think this team is filled with overacheivers who overcompensate for a lack of talent overall.

TD drafts primarily on need and on and off field character. I do think these are important but it does not make up for a lack of talent in his picks. Other than Jones, Spoon and maybe Moore, most of the draft picks were character guys who were not exactly physical specimens in contrast to other players around the league.

Hard work can only get you so far and it seems that the Falcons think it is sufficient enough. I think it will be a rude awakening.

No. Any Qb needs a decent offensive line. O-lines help everyone. Even the commentators admitted that Ryan had no time to throw and would not last the season given the amount of punishment he was taking and anticipating the punishment he will take IF the offensive line continues to play like that.

POS Vick and Rodgers have the legs to compensate for a terrible O-line and Ryan does not. I don't think it is his arm but inablility to run that would help him counter the lack of protection.

Your last point was clearly a strawman. I never said that Ryan throws better deep balls than Brees, in terms of accuracy, but I did mention a rebuttal to many posters who claim that Ryan is not strong enough.

Lets get more facts straight:

1) Turner went to the Pro Bowl but he is unable to catch out of the backfield which many offences around the league to have - RBs who can catch. Yes Quizz can catch but he is third on the depth chart and will not be on the field the same time Turner is.

2) Turner and Gonzo are both at the ends of their careers, so talking about their past means nothing. It is how they play right now.

3) Giving up all those picks does not mean Jones was worth the trade OR that by giving up so much that makes him automatically better. The offensive line has been a problem for YEARS and though it was addressed a little, the line continues to be even more of an issue.

4) Matt Ryan does not play defense nor calls his own plays and you are putting the wins and losses squarly on his shoulders which is absolutely stupid - this is a team sport.

5) The reality is the Falcons play football more on heart than beating opponents on talent. I think this team is filled with overacheivers who overcompensate for a lack of talent overall.

TD drafts primarily on need and on and off field character. I do think these are important but it does not make up for a lack of talent in his picks. Other than Jones, Spoon and maybe Moore, most of the draft picks were character guys who were not exactly physical specimens in contrast to other players around the league.

Hard work can only get you so far and it seems that the Falcons think it is sufficient enough. I think it will be a rude awakening.

I completely agree with everything you said except with Ryan being strong enough. I just don't see evidence of the claim. When most of your deep attempts are under or overthrown that usually means you have a problem. when he overthrows it, its not that its a bullet its just that he has to spend so much energy working up the mustard to get it that far, that his mechanics and accuracy take a nosedive. i watch every game. i dont go by stat lines, stats are meaningless. i go by what i see. or havent seen in this case.

So basically Ryan needs a pro bowl oline, probowl receiver, pro bowl running back, hof te, highest paid fullback, and a wr that costed 2 1sts 2 2nds and a 4th just to throw deep passes consistently? LOL @ stronger than drew brees. LOL!!!!!

Make that claim when Ryan successfully throws deep more in a season than Brees has in a single game.

How much did he costed again? :lol:

I completely agree with everything you said except with Ryan being strong enough. I just don't see evidence of the claim. When most of your deep attempts are under or overthrown that usually means you have a problem. when he overthrows it, its not that its a bullet its just that he has to spend so much energy working up the mustard to get it that far, that his mechanics and accuracy take a nosedive. i watch every game. i dont go by stat lines, stats are meaningless. i go by what i see. or havent seen in this case.

What you are talking about is accuracy. Second, deep balls are meant to be arching passes instead of bullets - You want to hit your recievers in stride so they can run underneath the ball and catch without losing a step. Throwing bullets are good for pass near the side lines, slant routes, hooks and hitches. Even YKW when he throws deep balls to D-Jax has air underneath and is not a bullet as well as all the other QBs I've seen throwing long balls.

If the ball is overthrown it is one of 3 things. Either the QB is inaccurate of the WR is not fast enough or a combination of the 2. If you do remember, TD even admitted the team was not "explosive" enough and hence the reason they got JJ.

Edited by Aria7

Seriously?!?!? You think that Brees has a stronger arm than ryan???? Whoever you are phil you clearly know nothing about football and its intricacies. You frankly my friend are stupid. lol

Ignore him, he's a moron in literally every Falcons community he's involved with. He's not a fan, he's a troll, just like swift. He masquerades as a Falcon fan, but this guy is pure PHAIL.