Hayden,sanders Might See Only Special Teams Role

vel

31 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Hayden, Sanders might see only special teams role

CB Kelvin Hayden didn’t play in Chicago and S James Sanders only played special teams as both try to get indoctrinated and up to speed on defense. They’re ahead of where they were last week, but head coach Mike Smith wouldn’t commit to playing time on defense. “They definitely will be involved in special teams,” Smith said. Falcons RapidReports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this isn't true. They brought them in to play and they aren't going to play them? Really Smitty?! Brandon Meriweather played last Sunday. You need to bring out all the stops to win in this league. You can't sit on your cards and expect to hit the jackpot. I know he doesn't want to show his hand but if they only play special teams, I will be disappointed. I hope they are the wild card for this game and surprise Vick.

Edited by vel

31 minutes ago - by Knox Bardeen - Hayden, Sanders might see only special teams role

CB Kelvin Hayden didn’t play in Chicago and S James Sanders only played special teams as both try to get indoctrinated and up to speed on defense. They’re ahead of where they were last week, but head coach Mike Smith wouldn’t commit to playing time on defense. “They definitely will be involved in special teams,” Smith said. Falcons RapidReports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this isn't true. They brought them in to play and they aren't going to play them? Really Smitty?! Brandon Meriweather played last Sunday. You need to bring out all the stops to win in this league. You can't sit on your cards and expect to hit the jackpot. I know he doesn't want to show his hand but if they only play special teams, I will be disappointed. I hope they are the wild card for this game and surprise Vick.

we can hope...but with this staff, as conservative and cautious as they are, i wouldn't bet on it...

Edited by sanfranfalcon

Guys I don't see them being ready til the packers game which is the fifth game of the season in the Georgia dome.They may play the Seattle game ahead of that one just to get their feet wet.I beleve that they are hoping to win a few just to stay in it until they can bring them in but I'm expecting them to for sure be ready to play greenbay with hadden starting at nickel.

Guys I don't see them being ready til the packers game which is the fifth game of the season in the Georgia dome.They may play the Seattle game ahead of that one just to get their feet wet.I beleve that they are hoping to win a few just to stay in it until they can bring them in but I'm expecting them to for sure be ready to play greenbay with hadden starting at nickel.

I got to disagree ....these guys are both seasoned vets who have actually won Super Bowls .....we need them on the field sooner than later .......

Don't expect dudes to come in and pick stuff up day of in a new system. They've neither played in a system like this one in the pros, give them a few weeks to pick it up. Hayden may see time before Sanders simply because we're desperate for a nickel corner, and Hayden is going to be a very very good one for us provided he's fully healthy.

Don't be shocked if you see Hayden get a deal to stay in ATL after he plays really well this season.

You guys all seem to forget this is a 16 game MARATHON season. 2 games isn't going to kill you, losing 5 games is still a great record, would I rather not lose the first 2, yes, but is putting players who aren't ready to be on the field in the best interest of the team? No. So we'll make it through, and hopefully Owens won't be out there this week and Franks or Hayden will be. We will see what we bring, but I expect 9 DBs active on Sunday.

Don't expect dudes to come in and pick stuff up day of in a new system. They've neither played in a system like this one in the pros, give them a few weeks to pick it up. Hayden may see time before Sanders simply because we're desperate for a nickel corner, and Hayden is going to be a very very good one for us provided he's fully healthy.

Don't be shocked if you see Hayden get a deal to stay in ATL after he plays really well this season.

You guys all seem to forget this is a 16 game MARATHON season. 2 games isn't going to kill you, losing 5 games is still a great record, would I rather not lose the first 2, yes, but is putting players who aren't ready to be on the field in the best interest of the team? No. So we'll make it through, and hopefully Owens won't be out there this week and Franks or Hayden will be. We will see what we bring, but I expect 9 DBs active on Sunday.

Did Dunta look like he was fkng ready ? ........ :unsure: ...........Sanders played in a similiar system in Indy, it is the verbiage they need to learn, not the " system " ...........

Guest Absconditus

we brought them in so that they would be there to help towards the end of the season, not to help immediately

Uh...why?

Edited by Absconditus

I know right. simplify the playbook. why don't he just get Hayden to blanket a player and have Sanders provide help over the top. SIMPLIFY

But we're learning that even simple things like running, passing,blocking, tackling, fielding punts and covering WR's is very COMPLICATED for this Falcon team.

Better not complicate matters more by asking them to simplify anything so they can get better players into the game.

Guest Absconditus

I know right. simplify the playbook. why don't he just get Hayden to blanket a player and have Sanders provide help over the top. SIMPLIFY

Apparently we run a NASA-level special operation program on defense because not a **** person on that side of the ball can figure out what they're supposed to be doing.

It pisses me off every time I hear "Well he's just having a hard time picking up the playbook." You mean to tell me that an elite-level athlete with years of experience playing at the highest level of competition you can is struggling to learn a playbook? What kind of mutant radioactive super-coverages are we running? Surely it can't be that ******* hard to stand 10 yards away from the receiver and let him catch the ball.

Edited by Absconditus

With Owens not practicing today, I see one of the 2 stepping in on Sunday. They brought Hayden in because they weren't happy with Franks' play just yet (pretty obvious since Owens played the whole game on Sunday) and didn't want to be in this predicament (having to play him when he is not ready).

Hayden is the natural choice but I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanders if we go heavy zone.

Defense can not just be simplified.

Safeties have to know how to adjust when a RB comes out the backfield, they have to know how to communicate crossing routes, they have to know responsibilities when a team goes 3,4, or 5 wide and who they pick up.

Its not as simple as playing madden and picking 2 man under every play and then running your safety around to cover what you want. You will get toasted if that is your mentality against experienced players and coaches.

It takes more than a couple weeks to be fully adept with a playbook.

Be patient guys and trust that we will get better as the season progresses whether with experience or personnel Im certain TD and Smitty are making the right decision.

Its been 1 week, lets be a little slower to hit the panic button, TD and Smitty deserve the benefit of a doubt after 3 winning seasons!

Apparently we run a NASA-level special operation program on defense because not a **** person on that side of the ball can figure out what they're supposed to be doing.

It pisses me off every time I hear "Well he's just having a hard time picking up the playbook." You mean to tell me that an elite-level athlete with years of experience playing at the highest level of competition you can is struggling to learn a playbook? What kind of mutant radioactive super-coverages are we running? Surely it can't be that ******* hard to stand 10 yards away from the receiver and let him catch the ball.

If you ever played football even on the high school level you wouldnt say that. The verbiage has to be learned, the audibles have to be learned, the different responsibilities in coverage have to be learned.

I wish people could understand that football requires you to be a smart player to have success, there is a reason they say 90% of the game is mental.