Orson Charles In 2012

Reeves

I know we've only played two games this year so I understand that this post is probably premature, but I just thought this and wanted to get some feedback

Also, I'm making the assumption that Charles doesn't jump after this year, which I honestly don't know whether he will or won't, so just go with it

Figgins has done well already at the H-Back spot and he's slightly over-sized for the position; when he leaves we'll have Zander (a DGD) and Quayvon Hicks as a true frosh, so why not move Orson back there and get him moving around and into open space as often as possible? He could be an absolute nightmare for defenses from that position, as we could move him around after we see what they're personnel is. Murray will be in his 3rd year starting so he'll be able to check into plays very adeptly to take full advantage. We don't lose any receivers so we'll threats to keep him from being doubled (can you double an H-Back?)

It honestly seems like a no-brainer to me, because we all know Orson won't be a traditional TE in the NFL, seeing as how he doesn't dominate doing it in college. I would think the coaches are already thinking about this and hopefully they'll go for it because it could be in the best interest of the team next year and Orson's NFL career down the road.

Moving him to H-Back also allows us to play Artie Lynch and Jay Rome more, which is also a good thing because both are great athletes and the prototype in-line TEs.

So what do you guys think?

If Jermaine Gresham can play the TE position in the NFL, then so can Orson. IMO, he doesn't put up those elite numbers because of the great depth we have at TE (Aron White would be a starter at a lot of D1 schools).

EDIT: And anyways, I don't think it's really going to matter about him next year anyways. Have a hard time believing he is going to stick around for his senior season for a multitude of reasons (possible coaching change, emergence of more options on the offense, potential injury, etc.).

Oh, and the reason Figgins was moved to the H-back position is because of that great depth we have and the fact that he is an elite level blocker. The fact that he actually has decent enough hands just makes him that much more versatile. I'm really glad to see that the coaching staff has utilized him to his maximum potential, for this season at least.

The reason we haven't been more versatile with Orson is because our pass protection is sketchy right now. That's why he didn't get any catches in the South Carolina game. Had him lined up as a blocker most of the game and he dominated his man almost every time. Blocking is one thing Orson probably focused on in the offseason and so far he seems to have improved.

The reason we haven't been more versatile with Orson is because our pass protection is sketchy right now. That's why he didn't get any catches in the South Carolina game. Had him lined up as a blocker most of the game and he dominated his man almost every time. Blocking is one thing Orson probably focused on in the offseason and so far he seems to have improved.

im pretty sure thats the reason as well. my only problem with that is why not put lynch/white in the traditional spot and flex orson out or go to double TE end sets..he is way too big of a threat not to have him catching balls. id even say our number one receiving threat and attention getter from opposing D's.

im pretty sure thats the reason as well. my only problem with that is why not put lynch/white in the traditional spot and flex orson out or go to double TE end sets..he is way too big of a threat not to have him catching balls. id even say our number one receiving threat and attention getter from opposing D's.

Oh, I agree. Definitely need to get Lynch involved more.

Oh, I agree. Definitely need to get Lynch involved more.

imagine a jumbo package with all 4 guys (Figgins, White, Lynch and Charles) and all of the options you could run out of that..figgins h-back of course and IC in the backfield. that could be very scary to scheme against. Charles on a go pattern out of a power formation like that would kill

i really hate even going there, but it just is eating my up to say it so here: We realllllly lack some creativity with all the athletes we have on offense. God help us we are not taking advantage of some of it...sorry had to get it out

glad you can see that. From your previous comments I kind of took you as a disney dawg.

it was needed due to our oline play and frankly i don't care about how many catches orson gets if we are putting up the points we did this last game. people are more focused on orson getting touches then on scoring points. we have a very deep and good wr unit and we saw just a small bit of that this last week. if we have to keep orson in some and help protect murray then we should do that and he also helped open up holes for crowell which led to a over 7 yards per carry average.

glad you can see that. From your previous comments I kind of took you as a disney dawg.

ive told you im realistic, just optimistic and in full support of our team and coaches. that doesnt mean i agree with every single thing that has, is or ever will happen.

and, i dont even like being that critical during the season. it is just counterproductive. coaches know we need to improve, players know if they screw up. they don't need me, or any of us, to remind them. it just breeds negativity and like the quote on Sac's signature bu Mark Fox, dawgnation doesnt need to be divided, which is what negativity will do

Edited by good2badawg

it was needed due to our oline play and frankly i don't care about how many catches orson gets if we are putting up the points we did this last game. people are more focused on orson getting touches then on scoring points. we have a very deep and good wr unit and we saw just a small bit of that this last week. if we have to keep orson in some and help protect murray then we should do that and he also helped open up holes for crowell which led to a over 7 yards per carry average.

Sac i agree with the overall premise of what youre saying. for me, its not a personal thing with seeing how many touches he gets, but just utilizing him and all of our talent to create the greatest opportunities for us on offense. I just think someone else could better protect and he could be utilized down the field. but, maybe he has really excelled in blocking that he is better suited there than lynch..just hard to make that case for me

I agree, and to go a step further, we'll get ourselves in trouble if we start forcing things to Charles. Although he's getting better, Murray still struggles with his tendencies of pre-determining who he is going to throw it to before the snap (not looking off the defender). People know Orson is a HUGE weapon, so they're not going to let him go unnoticed; that just means more opportunities for other receivers to step up like we've seen with bennett and mitchell

Sac i agree with the overall premise of what youre saying. for me, its not a personal thing with seeing how many touches he gets, but just utilizing him and all of our talent to create the greatest opportunities for us on offense. I just think someone else could better protect and he could be utilized down the field. but, maybe he has really excelled in blocking that he is better suited there than lynch..just hard to make that case for me

I'm coming in a little late on this topic but I have a hard time understanding why we didn't use him last week. He's a reliable match-up problem who could have presented some issues for carolina

I agree, and to go a step further, we'll get ourselves in trouble if we start forcing things to Charles. Although he's getting better, Murray still struggles with his tendencies of pre-determining who he is going to throw it to before the snap (not looking off the defender). People know Orson is a HUGE weapon, so they're not going to let him go unnoticed; that just means more opportunities for other receivers to step up like we've seen with bennett and mitchell

yep that has been an issue in the past with murray trying to force stuff into orson. teams are double teaming orson when he does go and runs routes so it makes zero sense to focus on his touches. if he is getting double teamed and he is then we should go to guys who are open and gets points. to me it doesn't matter how we do it because orson will get his as will our wideouts.

utilizing him and all of our talent to create the greatest opportunities for us on offense. I just think someone else could better protect and he could be utilized down the field. but, maybe he has really excelled in blocking that he is better suited there than lynch..just hard to make that case for me

this is exactly what I'm thinking too; he's turned into a good blocker but why not let him block LBs instead of ends? why not get him in space and mis-matched because he's not the primary guy blocking the edge? We have Lynch and Jay Rome who are very good blockers, so let them be the in-line guys who can block or go out for passes if the opportunity presents itself

I say put Samuel at FB (that way at least he has a chance at making it to the next level) and let Crowell, Marshall, and Gurley split carries. I wouldnt mind seeing Charles play some H-back in order to get him better match-ups/ more catches. This is all of course assuming Bobo is gone. Innovating is the least we have to worry about w/ him calling plays.

I was pretty impressed with Bennett against Carolina... he made a couple of nice catches. Marlon has also been spotted a few times. I'm gonna be loving it if our big guys start becoming reliable targets on the outside. It's only gonna create more for Crowell and company to bust loose.

I really have no problems with how we used Orson against Carolina. He provided some extra protection and still drew extra defenders when he'd go out. Gotta admit it's great to see Murray throwing to him though... they have pretty good chemistry on where to be and when to expect the ball. If he has to block a little more and draw coverage that's fine though... he'll get his.

I say put Samuel at FB (that way at least he has a chance at making it to the next level) and let Crowell, Marshall, and Gurley split carries. I wouldnt mind seeing Charles play some H-back in order to get him better match-ups/ more catches. This is all of course assuming Bobo is gone. Innovating is the least we have to worry about w/ him calling plays.

Samuel could still make it to the NFL. He's a great athlete and a great teammate. You don't have to be a standout in college to make it to the pros. Lots and lots of examples of that.