Mularkey Article From 2006 (Miami Offensive Coordinator)

mikefalcon63

Mularkey too conservative?

by: keven lerner September 25th, 2006 | 3:00 PM

Sfldaunte092606

Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey has been under scrutiny from fans, especially after the last two games.

His simplified game plan against Tennessee certainly benefited Daunte Culpepper, but it’s fair to ask when he will take a more aggressive approach.

“It’s something to build on,” Culpepper said following Sunday’s 13-10 victory.

Mularkey’s schemes thus far have been fairly conservative, relying on a heavier ground attack and fewer deep passing plays.

This offense does have limitations, though, with a quarterback trying to regain his form and an offensive line struggling in run blocking and pass protecting.

There’s no question that Scott Linehan’s system last season was more attacking.

When asked about the difference between his coordinators the last two seasons, receiver Chris Chambers said, “Scott likes to get guys involved a little earlier as far as throwing the ball downfield, taking more chances and taking more shots.”

Chambers said it’s just a matter of time before the offense comes together.

“We’ve got some guys that we need to build more chemistry with,” he said. “We take what [the defense] gives us. Those games will come when we break out and have 100-yard games and touchdowns. We’ve just got to be patient and they’ll come.”

thought he was a horrible hire to begin with but due to the success of Ryan, White, and Turner he was able to look like a good hire. He's not....he is horrible.....players are finding some success due to their talent and not his offense. Is there someone better? I dont know, but what I do know is when Bill over there in NE has an OC it is usually some guy I've never heard of. Talented OCs are out there............go find them.

Here is an article Sporkdevil found and blogged. Very disturbing trend. (sorry about the type, it wouldn't let me copy the text straight up.)

http://www.pittsburg...b/s_160819.html Here is Spork's great blog: http://www.falconsbl...-be-the-answer/

Mularkey defends playcalling

By Joe Starkey, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, October 20, 2003

In-depth Steelers

Long passes, Mularkey explained, take time to develop. The pass rush must be contained.

"You obviously have to drop deeper, and it takes longer to block, and you've got guys pinning their ears back coming after you," he said.

No doubt, the problems on the offensive line have forced Mularkey to make adjustments. But he thought the line was fine against Denver, even though it changed players more often than a hockey team. Maddox was sacked seven times.

"It was probably one of the better coaching jobs by an offensive line coach (Russ Grimm) that I can remember since I've been in the league, to coordinate and get those guys in there in the right situations and have them in sync to finish a 10-minute, 16-play drive (in the fourth quarter)," Mularkey said. "It was remarkable that he pulled it off."

The drive Mularkey referred to tied the score 14-14. It was one of the few trips into the red zone this season that had a happy ending.

The Steelers have scored touchdowns only 31.8 percent of the time they've crossed the opponent's 20-yard line (7 of 22), the fourth-worst percentage in the NFL.

How about throwing the fade to Burress, who hasn't even been in the game on certain red-zone plays?

"See, we called that, too, and no one recognizes that," Mularkey said. "I was asked the other day, 'Why don't we call that?' Well, we do. We've done it the last two games.

"People haven't seen it with the naked eye, and they pre-judge because they can't sit and study it, but those plays have been called."

At times, Mularkey said, a fade is called in the huddle but doesn't seem like a good idea once Maddox sees the defensive alignment.

"It's not only the common fan but probably the defensive coordinator who thinks (the fade) is a pretty good idea," he said. "Teams know Plax's height and size and jumping ability. They're not going to line up to give Plax a fade every time."

And if Mularkey hears a good suggestion over the air waves ... well, that isn't going to happen.

"I'll be honest," he said. "I avoid all of it."

Read more: Mularkey defends playcalling - Pittsburgh Tribune-Reviewhttp://www.pittsburg...l#ixzz1XyJTglV7

we have great talented players & I'm one of the few people that honestly believes that in capable hands this offense can be a total beast. I mean you got Roddy & JJ, then Harry & Meier. Turner, Quizz, Snelling. Tony G to an extent. we got speed, power, & hands, yet we can't create a scheme to maximize the talents of these guys? an OC with almost 20 years experience can't scheme against a team with a questionable secondary.

Bleacher Report article from 2008 that says all we knew of our OC choice: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/25493-mike-mularkey-is-not-the-answer-for-atlanta-falcons

quote: "By examining his track record one thing becomes clear. If past events predict future results, the Atlanta Falcons are in trouble offensively."

110104_mularkey_inside.jpgI have failed at every stage of my career. I am Sorry Atlanta Fans.

The thing I dont like about Mularkey is that he seems to feel like he has to trick the defense or catch them off guard every time to make plays. I feel like you have to beat your opponent even if they know exactly what you want/like to do simply because you are great at what you do. It is fine to hit them when/where they least expect it as a fatal blow that serves as a final nail in the coffin, but to win in the NFL you need to conquer your opponent. Why did we sacrifice so much to have two elite WR's if we dont use them? I'm not worried about philly's secondary because we have talent to match at WR. Lets see how the best secondary in the league handles the best WR corp in the league.

Found this off of an old Dolphins Message Forum:

Mike Mularkey su##s!

I have no idea why we dont throw the ball deep like last year...I mean at least it softens the defense up. We for some reason dont want to run the football inside the red zone, and have Daunte sit back and throw picks! I dont understand what is going on with this team. I am so pissed right now for buying into the offseason hype. Saban needs to pull his head out of his *** and start calling the plays. Fire Mularkey now!!!!

Edited by Rex_Ryan

Found this off of an old Dolphins Message Forum:

Mike Mularkey su##s!

I have no idea why we dont throw the ball deep like last year...I mean at least it softens the defense up. We for some reason dont want to run the football inside the red zone, and have Daunte sit back and throw picks! I dont understand what is going on with this team. I am so pissed right now for buying into the offseason hype. Saban needs to pull his head out of his *** and start calling the plays. Fire Mularkey now!!!!

Dude did you type that yourself? If not this really scares me!

I don't like the looks of this crap. I had no idea about this whole MM situation. You would think Coach Smith and company would, and if they did that they would lite a fire under his a**. If this senario keeps playing out and MM F's up this season I'm am going to go balistic! I WANT SOME DEEP PASSES! WE HAVE THE SUPPLIES TO DO IT WITH! SO DO IT! :angry: GO FALCONS! :angry: