My Honest Thoughts

Knight of God

Under the cover of optimism or sheer disappointment, I left out the part about this being a very unnecessary loss. I watched this game saying things like..."What was he thinking?", "What are they thinking?", and "This can't be really happening." I just could not grasp the play calls, the execution, or the personnel use.

After the game I being angry and found myself about to post, but constantly not finishing or just making a one line publication. I just could not stomach this loss and especially with every "could have", "should have", and "would have" still floating in my mind.

Thoughts of the off season, especially the FA, lingered on the surface of my thoughts. "Why did we..." and "Why didn't we..." and the more I thought about it all the less and less I wanted to even follow the season. "Just one game?" I thought..., "If this is any indication of where we are, its time to start our mocks for the season and in the top ten." Then it hit me...we don't have a top ten pick.

So where I am now? Super optimistic? Benefit of a doubt? 0-16 staring us in the face? What is the case?

To be honest, my thoughts...my REAL thoughts are so drastic they are still not ready for publication, nor will they ever be. Just because I am no longer sold on anything since '07 doesn't mean that no one else should be. That means not spraying venom about anything and not tearing down the optimism of others.

There is ONE thing though. REALITY.

The reality for those who are angry at the guys who are disillusioned is that it is not the loss, but the nature of the loss. We looked VERY JV out there in comparison to a big boy team. A big boy team that we are supposed to be. A big boy team that isn't even as good as the caliber of teams that we will have to face in order to make it as far as a wild card game.

The reality for those who are angry at optimists is that it is only one loss and with a squad of players who look like the ultimate fantasy team on paper. A squad of Pro Bowlers who had no business losing to a group of guys who don't stack up on paper at all.

End result...something needs to be done and fast. I have seen no roster moves at DT which looks suspiciously careless. I HAVE seen two moves at the secondary which may pay pretty well. A move that we made at DE seems nearly unnecessary at this point barring injury. No move is needed on the offense...or is it?

This regime does not seem to understand that just because you drafted a guy in the first doesn't mean that you keep him even after he has a severely questionable past few seasons. It may be time to look to FA for a decent replacement until further notice.

In other words...the only person who clearly sucks on the whole team is the most pivotal at the position. Our starting LT...Sam Baker.

Great post Knight and I feel your pain, trust me keep posting it will help you get it out of your system. You nailed with your post it's not that we lost it's how we lost at times we looked like the keystone cops. What kills me is we worked so hard to get respect in this league after going 13-3 and winning our division. We start getting a little airtime and articles written about us that makes a fan proud. Then to go to Chicago and lay an egg on national tv was just inexcusable and imo a reflection of our current coaching staff.

The ones who suffer here are the fans as we have to endure another disappointing season before one or both coordinators are finally fired. I know it's just one game but how that abomination unfolded at Soldier Field plus our strength of schedule, I truly believe we are in for a long season

Edited by Xfactor

Great post Knight and I feel your pain, trust me keep posting it will help you get it out of your system. You nailed with your post it's not that we lost it's how we lost at times we looked like the keystone cops. What kills me is we worked so hard to get respect in this league after going 13-3 and winning our division. We start getting a little airtime and articles written about us that makes a fan proud. Then to go to Chicago and lay an egg on national tv was just inexcusable and imo a reflection of our current coaching staff.

The ones who suffer here are the fans as we have to endure another disappointing season before one or both coordinators are finally fired. I know it's just one game but how that abomination unfolded at Soldier Field plus our strength of schedule, I truly believe we are in for a long season

Exactly. Just like you told Knight I feel your pain. It hurts!!!

Exactly Knight.. Its not that we lost but how we lost... We got young and talented players all around the positions.. Long as we could go 2-2 @ worst by Week 5.. than I think we could win the division seriously... We have to straighten this out quickly as possible..

How Steelers got drilled by there division.. Steelers fans are not worried as much as Falcons fans..IMO

We just got to trust our FO and our players...

How do you blame everything on Sam Baker when Henry Melton had 2 sacks and 7 QB hits? That's the middle of the line. Peppers was contained as best as anyone can contain Peppers (outside of Joe Thomas and Jake Long, who can?). Baker stoned Peppers a couple of times but most of the times had to ride him around the arc, behind Ryan. The problem some of the times was that Melton and Okoye were eating our interior up and Ryan couldn't move up.

Baker wasn't dominated in this game. Beat on some plays? Yes, but he was facing the best down lineman in the game with a 24 point deficit. HeII even when Ryan had the time, he held it too long and then the protection broke down.

How do you blame everything on Sam Baker when Henry Melton had 2 sacks and 7 QB hits? That's the middle of the line. Peppers was contained as best as anyone can contain Peppers (outside of Joe Thomas and Jake Long, who can?). Baker stoned Peppers a couple of times but most of the times had to ride him around the arc, behind Ryan. The problem some of the times was that Melton and Okoye were eating our interior up and Ryan couldn't move up.

Baker wasn't dominated in this game. Beat on some plays? Yes, but he was facing the best down lineman in the game with a 24 point deficit. HeII even when Ryan had the time, he held it too long and then the protection broke down.

I only mentioned him as the only player who really sucks. Okoye came with a sack as well. This was just a rant vel. Do you want me to go full on tirade?

Yeah, fine and well. but the one truth that has failed this thread until no, is that

Da Bears Defense is one of the best in the NFC this year.

Maybe, but where does that place the Falcons? When we face good teams and lose, will it be enough to say, "Yeah we lost, but that was one of the best teams." all year long? If that's the case we should go 6-10 because we play some teams who are the best at something.

I feel ya, Knight.......I basically have avoided all media regarding NFL this week as much as I can - and limited messageboard use - when there is a loss as ugly as the Chicago loss - trust me my friend, the less you are around - the better.

My rant all week - that I did participate in :rolleyes: involves the offensive line. I started replaying 2008, 2009, 2010 games in my mind - along w/ the Chicago Bears game last sunday - and it suddenly hit me - when watching other games - Matt Ryan is not afforded anywhere near the time that most other NFL QBs get to throw the ball.....O-Line apologists tout the lack of sacks given by Falcons O-Line in last 3 years to support Falcons O-Line but that is such a very FALSE stat - Matt Ryan throws the ball away - QUICK - and hits hot reads - this mitigates the sack totals....

Falcons will NEVER have a downfield passing offense until Matt gets better protection - he did not get it with McClure/Dahl and he certainly did not get it Sunday with Baker/Blalock/Hawley/Reynolds/Clabo - Clabo was the only lineman that holds up in pass protection....

Falcons have got to upload the pass-blocking - even if it means losing a little on the runblocking.

Babs will hurt us the most right now. You referred to Edwards possibly not being necessary as Biermann stepped up a bit. But we may need the DE's to overcome the lack of rush up the middle for now. At least we have another guy to rotate who is capable... Beer man needs that type of rotation to be effective... Ray Ray will hopefully introduce himself to vick sunday...

I feel ya, Knight.......I basically have avoided all media regarding NFL this week as much as I can - and limited messageboard use - when there is a loss as ugly as the Chicago loss - trust me my friend, the less you are around - the better.

My rant all week - that I did participate in :rolleyes: involves the offensive line. I started replaying 2008, 2009, 2010 games in my mind - along w/ the Chicago Bears game last sunday - and it suddenly hit me - when watching other games - Matt Ryan is not afforded anywhere near the time that most other NFL QBs get to throw the ball.....O-Line apologists tout the lack of sacks given by Falcons O-Line in last 3 years to support Falcons O-Line but that is such a very FALSE stat - Matt Ryan throws the ball away - QUICK - and hits hot reads - this mitigates the sack totals....

Falcons will NEVER have a downfield passing offense until Matt gets better protection - he did not get it with McClure/Dahl and he certainly did not get it Sunday with Baker/Blalock/Hawley/Reynolds/Clabo - Clabo was the only lineman that holds up in pass protection....

Falcons have got to upload the pass-blocking - even if it means losing a little on the runblocking.

It was so noticeable that my wife saw it. I sat there saying nothing as she pointed it all out to me. Now that's bad.

Babs will hurt us the most right now. You referred to Edwards possibly not being necessary as Biermann stepped up a bit. But we may need the DE's to overcome the lack of rush up the middle for now. At least we have another guy to rotate who is capable... Beer man needs that type of rotation to be effective... Ray Ray will hopefully introduce himself to vick sunday...

I see what you're saying, but now we are at a stage of me saying this. I felt all off season that we should address the middle a bit more and rather than picking up a DE. I like Matthews and Sidbury and saw it as enough. I felt that we could go with another good DT instead. My pick was Okoye.

Amen Brother. I also will add that after I took a day to calm down, I realized our D played pretty well. I am most concerned about the turnstiles protecting Ryan. There is no way they can fix that in 1 week. If this was the line in '08, Matt would've been on the sideline with a clipboard & not thrown to the wolves.

Amen Brother. I also will add that after I took a day to calm down, I realized our D played pretty well. I am most concerned about the turnstiles protecting Ryan. There is no way they can fix that in 1 week. If this was the line in '08, Matt would've been on the sideline with a clipboard & not thrown to the wolves.

The defense got what...5 sacks? Biermann with a sack and an INT? The "D" did as much as they could to help put up points...including scoring by our #3 DE.

Well, we have a shot this week...but getting away from a hugely successful run game won't get it. Not against THAT secondary.

Yeah we definitely have to just grind it on the ground and score TDs NOT FG's when he get in the red zone.

Oh, it would also help to drill Vick and put a hitch in his giddy-up real early in the game.