Since Mike Mularkey Is Not Here To Answer, Somebody Help Me Out

Peyton

According to Mike Mularkey, the Falcons couldn't go deep because the Bears had the safeties back there.

Ok, I can dig it I guess.

The usual strategy for that is.....what.....it's um....establishing the run right?

I am just curious how the Falcons end up dropping back for 52 passes and run only 14 times when the Bears had their safeties deep the whole game. Anybody help me out with that?

According to Mike Mularkey, the Falcons couldn't go deep because the Bears had the safeties back there.

Ok, I can dig it I guess.

The usual strategy for that is.....what.....it's um....establishing the run right?

I am just curious how the Falcons end up dropping back for 52 passes and run only 14 times when the Bears had their safeties deep the whole game. Anybody help me out with that?

Why throw a deep pass and have it intercepted when you can throw one underneath and save the defenders from having to run that extra distance.LOL

Hindsight is always 20/20 but my guess is that we were trying to get back in the game.

Yeah well....all that passing is what helped the Falcons fall behind in the first place. On the first drive, the Falcons ran 4 times and got a FG.

The second drive started.

Pass

Pass

Pass.......Interception.

Probably should have stuck with the script from the first drive.

Well Peyton, I'll tell you the same thing I told Supes all afternoon while we were watching the game at his house:

"The Bears can't stop our CHECKDOWN!!! They can only hope to contain it!!"

It's a lot funnier after you've had a good bit to drink.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but my guess is that we were trying to get back in the game.

True but at some point, you have to take some of that hindsight you've been gaining and translate it into some foresight. Did the Falcons not know that the Bears run a Cover-2 defense? Did the Falcons not know that the 2- safeties will be in splitting the deep coverage trying to take it away? Did the Falcons not know that the deep middle is typical hole in the zone coverage for a Cover 2 defense. No Excuses!

They had to. They were running out of time. Once you get down by 18 and 24 points, the run has to go because it runs too much clock. At least a pass can be incomplete or thrown away. On a run, you have to try and run ~25 yards to get to the sideline (and that's not including going forward for yards).

The other way to get deep safeties to mess up is through short passes (equivalent of runs). The reason establishing the run works is because it makes the safeties take a false step forward. The problem with the short routes approach was no screens, draws, or misdirection were added in the mix to slow the rush down. Ryan had no time once we got down because the pass was the only threat. They literally rushed the passer with reckless abandon. They were primed for a screen (away from Peppers of course but the one MM called went right at him).

I was disappointed that Meier and Weems weren't used.

If 24 pass plays and 13 runs is balanced, I guess you are right. Seems to me if the Bears safeties were playing back, the Falcons probably should have run more.

Drive 1:

rush

pass

rush

pass

rush

pass

pass

rush

pass

pass

FG

Drive 2:

rush

pass

pass INT

Drive 3:

pass

rush Fumble

Drive 4:

rush

pass

pass

Drive 5:

pass

rush

pass

rush

pass

Drive 6 (2 min drill time):

pass

rush

pass

pass

pass

END OF HALF

Drive 7:

pass

pass

rush

pass

rush

rush

pass

rush

pass

pass

FG

One rush for the rest of the game. Seems fairly balanced to me. True 38% rushing doesn't sound like much but they stayed with the run on early downs. I do agree that they could have tried to run more, but I don't think that those safeties were going to cheat for anything. The Bears seemed fairly content to play bend but don't break and hope for big plays (which worked to perfection).

Peyton the reason they went pass heavy early was because Ryan was hot. He completed what his first 7 or 8 or something. Why not let him work? It went downhill after the INT because Ryan was shook, not the play calling. He was holding the ball too long. I know somebody had to be open. I remember one play off of play action where he had literally 5 seconds and still didn't throw it. What is MM supposed to do?

Yes they knew the Bears played Tampa 2 but they rarely play it all game with their safeties a mile back. Everyone knew we wanted to crank the car up for a spin so they gameplanned to shut all the deep stuff down first. We didn't play our game. They were a little excited to show it off so they played into the Bears hands. I bet we see a heavy dose of Turner on Sunday and play action off that.

In the second half they were working against the clock with a big margin to cover. You're gonna pass more. As an added problem, the Bears weren't rushing an LB. That puts 3 LB's in space to read/react on runs. The disparity is not the problem. You can beat Cover 2 passing with the guys we have. But Mularkey has to have schemes at the ready when 4 guys are destroying the pocket.

Peyton the reason they went pass heavy early was because Ryan was hot. He completed what his first 7 or 8 or something. Why not let him work? It went downhill after the INT because Ryan was shook, not the play calling. He was holding the ball too long. I know somebody had to be open. I remember one play off of play action where he had literally 5 seconds and still didn't throw it. What is MM supposed to do?

Yes they knew the Bears played Tampa 2 but they rarely play it all game with their safeties a mile back. Everyone knew we wanted to crank the car up for a spin so they gameplanned to shut all the deep stuff down first. We didn't play our game. They were a little excited to show it off so they played into the Bears hands. I bet we see a heavy dose of Turner on Sunday and play action off that.

i think he was 10 for 10 before he threw his 1st incompletion. 9 completions and 1 interception

I think that's why he was calling more rollouts. He figured he could buy Ryan time. It might work in theory, but you limit the QB's field when you do that. A better pass catching back than Turner or Snelling would help for wheel routes and dumps. And, as everyone has mentioned, there should be a few more creative screens to get guys like Roddy/Julio/Douglass the ball in space.

They got down in points and started playing the dump down to varioius RB's giving them a 5 yd head start. Turner has nearly amassed as many receiving yards in one game as he did all last year. The only thing I'm questioning is if there could have been better designed pass plays to create separation but I'm still waiting on someone to breakdown when WR's were open deep when the pocket got pushed in all day and once again Baker can't handle the premier pass rushers.

There's still no excuse because if that's the case then you can devise or call a plethora of route combos to exploit the safeties depth and zone. And that's another issue, the depth of the safeties, because if they're so far back where they are ensuring that absolutely nothing goes behind them, then you throw it in front of them. If they're usually 10-15 yards back and they were more like 15-20 yards back, then you have plays that exploit that level of depth, either through skinny post, posts, drag routes that accommodate for that level of depth, so they can be ran at a deeper depth than normal. And the middle of the field is almost exclusively handled by the MLB, who's the weakest in pass coverage in a Cover 2, so that can be exploited as well. Either way, there's tons of options,not everything has to been thrown within 7 yards, so I say it again, no excuses.