Here Comes Vick — And Timing Couldn’T Be Better For Falcons

FalconMama

After an ugly season opener in Chicago, I’m guessing the last thing most Falcons’ fans want to see right now are the Philadelphia Eagles in general and Michael Vick in particular.

One might be a Super Bowl team. The other remains an open wound for some and, to make matters worse, Vick has turned into a real quarterback and looked solid in the Eagles’ 31-13 win over St. Louis to open the season. But this actually is good timing. We’re about to find out something about the Falcons.

What's your prediction for Falcons vs. Eagles?

• Falcons will win.
  • Eagles will win.

Coming off an embarrassing performance in a 30-12 loss to the Bears, this will be a major test for players (who looked beat physically in the game and made several mental mistakes on defense) and coaches (who were outcoached by the Chicago staff and took a passive approach to the game plan).

A poor performance in a loss wouldn’t necessarily wreck the season — 0-2 in as 12-game season at Georgia is much worse than 0-2 in a 16-game season — but it would set up serious questions about this team. So we might as well find out now what they’re made of.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez said after the loss to the Bears than anybody who starts thinking the Falcons were over “overhyped … They’re full of it.” But if a team can’t bounce back and show resiliency and toughness in difficult situations, it’s can’t survive in the postseason either. The Falcons didn’t survive last year.

The Sunday night game against Philadelphia will be the third meeting between the teams since Vick signed with Philadelphia. The first two were Atlanta nightmares. In 2009, the Eagles won 34-7 at the Georgia Dome and Vick, as a backup to Donovan McNabb, ran for a five-yard touchdown, threw a five-yard touchdown and completed a 43-yard pass to Reggie Brown. Matt Ryan was injured and did not play. Philly won again last season 31-17. This time, Vick was injured. But Kevin Kolb throw for 326 yards and three touchdowns the Eagles jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the second quarter and it was over.

This will be the first Ryan vs. Vick match-up.

The 2009 game defined the Falcons’ relative mess of a season (it came late in a 2-6 stretch that submarined playoff hopes). Last year’s defeat meant little in the big picture (they finished 13-3, won the NFC South and earned a first-round playoff bye, though lost).

Somehow, I think what we see Sunday night will say a lot about 2011 Falcons.

By Jeff Schultz

http://blogs.ajc.com...er-for-falcons/

our players should be pretty pist after there last two defeats and be ready to go into this game and play physical, throw u on the ground, spit in your face, kick u while your down football. That is exactly the mentality we need these players to have going into this game

they should have had that mentality for the bears game.

Da bears game was a bad loss, but the fact remains the Falcons have a new look with some new players and players returning from injury this year at 100% also on offense and defense. They tried a new attack against a team you don't play around with new attacks, you do what has been working for you and make them respect that, then you take a shot at other plays IMO from time to time to keep them honest.

I just hope the Falcons play solid football and do what they have done in the past that works, RUN FIRST and start running early, then at the point they get the eagles attention focused on the running game, then try some of the new play calls. I just think it takes a team effort to win in the NFL, not just an explosive play ATTEMPT at calling. Explosive plays happen because teams have to key in on plays they have no other choice but to respect IMO, show them the run first as a start and take it from there, but don't abandon the run until they show they can stop it. A balanced attack to some degree is what I think it's going to take to win.

That door swings both ways though, I believe the Falcons will bounce back and win this game at home. They are overdue, especially in a primetime game situation.

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/09/13/here-comes-vick-and-timing-couldnt-be-better-for-falcons/#ViewPollResults

This will be the first Ryan vs. Vick match-up.

The 2009 game defined the Falcons’ relative mess of a season (it came late in a 2-6 stretch that submarined playoff hopes). Last year’s defeat meant little in the big picture (they finished 13-3, won the NFC South and earned a first-round playoff bye, though lost).

Somehow, I think what we see Sunday night will say a lot about 2011 Falcons.

Sums it all up for me.

Indeed, after last Sunday's woeful performance--and this coming off the Green Bay crime scene--if this team can't get up for their very best possible effort for a game like this so filled with emotion then someone needs to get a defibrillator to ignite a pulse.

My bet is that the Falcons will be playing their hearts out and will come into this game with an angry and determined attitude to both restore their reputation as a Super Bowl contender and get the back of their current QB so he and this team can once and for all put the Vick memories in their rightful place...the grave!

I like the Falcons to get off to a healthy lead and then have to hold on to this at the end due mostly to BVG's utter, unabashed ignorance and infatuation with the 3 man rush.

Falcons 31 Eagles 27

Wow. Anyone read the comments on the link? Almost as bad as this message board.

Yeah, the pictures crack me up. Ryan is shown getting sacked and Vick is standing tall in the pocket. Is this a Philadelphia Paper? :wacko:

How is 14 for 32 solid?

Yeah, but I think he was something like 8 for 12 on third downs. He moves the chains. Hopefully we can stop that sunday night.