When Did Chris Houston Become An Elite Corner?

Thelonious Mingus

CB Chris Houston won his battle with Bucs WR Mike Williams. Houston had seven tackles, three pass breakups and a key interception. Williams had four catches for 50 yards. His touchdown catch, a 5-yarder, came late in the game against cornerback Aaron Berry. "It's about film study," Houston said. "I was prepared for him. I knew what we were going to get. He had a couple of catches, we knew he'd get that. I just didn't want to let my team down."

Houston was Jim Schwartz's top corner last season, holding his own while covering opposing No. 1 receivers.

Mark this down as another reason Van Gorder's scheme is failure.

Our scheme really is a problem...

The fact is, we're clinging to a shell of a scheme that hasn't been effective in about 8 years. This Cover-2 soft pass defense isn't going to be able to hang with the better passing teams in the league....its been figured out. I don't know what the answer is but the problems we're currently having are the same types of problems cover-2 heavy teams have been having since everyone became infatuated with the defense when the Bucs made their run.

It's dinosaurish.....and we need to move it along.

CB Chris Houston won his battle with Bucs WR Mike Williams. Houston had seven tackles, three pass breakups and a key interception. Williams had four catches for 50 yards. His touchdown catch, a 5-yarder, came late in the game against cornerback Aaron Berry. "It's about film study," Houston said. "I was prepared for him. I knew what we were going to get. He had a couple of catches, we knew he'd get that. I just didn't want to let my team down."

Houston was Jim Schwartz's top corner last season, holding his own while covering opposing No. 1 receivers.

Man please!!!

Matt Ryan apparently became the next Ryan Leaf after 1 game, so why can't Houston get his own island after the 1st game of the season?

Matt Ryan has a track record of dinking and dunking and not going deep. Just like Houston has a track record of getting burnt.

So when it comes to Houston this might be an outlier.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Houston got burnt a lot, that was his problem. When you think about it though, he did make the tackle majority of the time and did have a decent amount of passes defensed each year. He really wasn't awful like we all said about him. I don't know why I didn't realize it at the time. The only thing better about Dunta is he doesn't get burned. Dunta always keeps everything in front of him, unfortunately, he just misses the tackle and almost always lets his man run past him for a large gain.

I think part of Dunta's success last year was due to the mental edge over opposing QB's. What I mean by that, is opponents thought of him as a shut down corner, and rarely looked his way. I remember at the Ravens game last season when Grimes had that INT on a 3rd down, I was right in front of Dunta, watching him the whole way. As usual, he let his man past him and the WR was wide open, but Flacco didn't even look his way and was locked onto the WR with Grimes. Of course he threw it at Grimes and it was intercepted.

The point of that story is that I'm afraid opponents are now realizing that Dunta isn't the shut down corner his stats make him look like. I'm afraid that he is now going to get targeted a lot more and our secondary will not be any better than it was in '09. Thankfully we signed Hayden and Grimes is playing consistently. I still don't understand why we don't let Dunta play man, he is so much better when he plays man coverage.

Again...coaching. Players go on to leave the Falcons and do well. Bennett and Reeves still remain the most solid coaches, overal,l we've had since I've been watching. Not taking anything away from back to back winning seasons.

I always thought Chris Houston got more hate than he deserved. The guy was a really good cover corner and was always on his man, he just never turned his head around to break up the pass or intercept the ball. The '09 Giants game is the best example of this I can think of when Eli Manning consistently embarrassed him. I always thought that if he could fix that aspect of his game, he'd be a good to great corner and from the looks of it, he's getting there. I like BVG and I like our corners but the scheme really doesn't suit them. Grimes might be a zone corner but Dunta Robinson is definitely a man-to-man type of guy. Unfortunately our crappy defensive line can't do too much so BVG tries to make up for it by playing this soft zone stuff. Once our D line gets better, I think we'll see more man from our DBs.