Ryan Vs Flacco

SuperAINTSfan

1. Ryan v. Flacco debate heats up.

In 2008, the Falcons made quarterback Matt Ryan the third overall pick in the draft. The Ravens held the eighth pick. They traded down with the Jaguars (who took defensive end Derrick Harvey, a bust), and then the Ravens moved back to the 18th spot to get quarterback Joe Flacco.

In the three-plus-one-game seasons since then, Ryan has been regarded as the better player. But the facts suggest otherwise.

Statistically, Matty Ice and Joe Cool have generated virtually identical performances. In his regular-season career, Ryan has thrown 1,503 passes, completing 916 for 10,380 yards,

66 touchdowns, and 35 picks.

Ryan’s career passer rating? 86.6.

Flacco, in turn, has thrown 1,445 passes, with 895 completions for 10,430 yards. Flacco has thrown 63 touchdowns, and 34 interceptions.

Flacco’s passer rating? 88.5.

In the postseason, Flacco has operated at an even higher level. He has won four playoff games, all on the road. Ryan, in contrast, is 0-2.

And so, when Ryan hosts Mike Vick and the Eagles next week, in Vick’s return to Atlanta as the starting quarterback, Ryan desperately needs a win in order to maintain his image as a top-shelf quarterback. Though he may not lose that standing over only one game, Flacco has caught up Ryan — and Flacco could soon pass Ryan by.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Ryan v. Flacco debate heats up.

In 2008, the Falcons made quarterback Matt Ryan the third overall pick in the draft. The Ravens held the eighth pick. They traded down with the Jaguars (who took defensive end Derrick Harvey, a bust), and then the Ravens moved back to the 18th spot to get quarterback Joe Flacco.

In the three-plus-one-game seasons since then, Ryan has been regarded as the better player. But the facts suggest otherwise.

Statistically, Matty Ice and Joe Cool have generated virtually identical performances. In his regular-season career, Ryan has thrown 1,503 passes, completing 916 for 10,380 yards,

66 touchdowns, and 35 picks.

Ryan’s career passer rating? 86.6.

Flacco, in turn, has thrown 1,445 passes, with 895 completions for 10,430 yards. Flacco has thrown 63 touchdowns, and 34 interceptions.

Flacco’s passer rating? 88.5.

In the postseason, Flacco has operated at an even higher level. He has won four playoff games, all on the road. Ryan, in contrast, is 0-2.

And so, when Ryan hosts Mike Vick and the Eagles next week, in Vick’s return to Atlanta as the starting quarterback, Ryan desperately needs a win in order to maintain his image as a top-shelf quarterback. Though he may not lose that standing over only one game, Flacco has caught up Ryan — and Flacco could soon pass Ryan by.

Wrong. His team has won, but he was a negative impact

Agreed. Flacco in the playoffs was a team effort, and he shouldn't be given most of the credit. On that same note, Ryan's regular season record was a team effort, and he shouldn't be given most of the credit.

Stripping the bogus hype around these two away, with Ryan and his record in Atlanta, and Flacco with his ability to win playoff games seemingly every year. ...and both are pretty similar, with one distinct difference. Flacco has some good strength in his arm, he can hurl it deep with the best of them.

Ryan is better in the short to mid range area.

Edited by Pox

What offense? Flacco just got an offense and str8 ripped apart the steelers!

I'd want Ryan more than Flacco at this point because Ryan's better on third down and has better pocket awareness. Flacco definitely has the talent but at this stage in his career he needs the offense to help him more than he helps his offense.

What offense? Flacco just got an offense and str8 ripped apart the steelers!

Are we evaluating career performances up to this point or hanging onto the last game they played like some Bleacher Report idiot? I hated the Chicago game and it's obvious that things have to be improved upon but I don't think you could convince the dumbest TATF reject that a single game epitomizes a career, much less the first game of a season for a player going into his fourth year.

No one knows that I do notice Flacco throws the ball down field tho

Win are a big part of that and the players know teams can also help the player win. So in their determination their saying if you reverse the two QBs on the two teams Ice would've excelled with the Ravens while Flacco would regressed!

Therefore:

Ice #52

Flacco #90

2011-january-8-18-35-12_medium.jpg

So spend 5 picks in the draft for a receiver?

Is that all you got come on son I know you can carry on a football conversation better than that. After 08 till last years draft most of our draft picks were defense so stop acting like we just ignored the defensive side of the ball. We wanted to get more explosive on the offensive side of the ball to score more points and win in a shootout. We're taking about how the ravens defense carried Flacco through those playoff wins, and if you say anything else then you're in denial.

Thats all we have to base off of right now. Point being Flacco is on the ravens and is winning. Ryan doesn't play the defenses Flacco plays and still puts up better or around the same numbers.

Yeh the ravens do create turnovers, but Flacco converts them to points, so he's doing something right. Sometimes you have to take what you have, I would love the ravens defense, but Brees wins in the post season without a great defense.

And you base this off of one game news flash the season is 16 games not 1.

Thats all we have to base off of right now. Point being Flacco is on the ravens and is winning. Ryan doesn't play the defenses Flacco plays and still puts up better or around the same numbers.

Yeh the ravens do create turnovers, but Flacco converts them to points, so he's doing something right. Sometimes you have to take what you have, I would love the ravens defense, but Brees wins in the post season without a great defense.

Yeah we only have only one game to base it off of, but that doesn't make it true. More opportunities usually mean more opportunities to score and shorter field positions.

You state that all you have been doing was drafting defense, but look the ravens have been doing the same thing!!

You didn't need offensive power you needed mire defense!

Y'all got a player like ray rice in Rodgers this draft you need to use him mote and better. I just think y'all should have added defense!

I dunno man I just don't see eye to eye with the falcon fans. You can't discredit what Flacco has done just because their defense is better. It's a team sport and if you don't have the defense the QB should be leaps and bounds better not the same.