Poor Protection From Oline

vel

I just have two pictures to show some of the dumb things the OL was doing to get beat.

6143773113_61f9744db8_b.jpg

This picture shows a well blocked front four. The OTs have the ends contained and the Center and OGs have the 2 DTs beat 3 on 2.

Edited by vel

6144324280_ddda0f0133_b.jpg

Or so we thought. As you can see, Reynolds (red cirlce) decides nobody is worth guarding leaving Hawley and Blalock to block the DTs 1v1 unnecessarily. The DTs put pressure on the gap between Blalock and Hawley by pinching there as you can see in the pic prior. Had Reynolds helped maintain the 3 on 2 advantage that they could have had, Ryan would have had a nice pocket as Baker stoned Peppers and Clabo was hanlding Idonije. He even could have slid to the right under Clabo for more time find his guys open (yellow circles). And underneath, if you look back from the first picture to the second picture, HD is open underneath Julio's curl.

But unfortunately, even having a 3 on 2 advantage in the middle doesn't sound like a smart move for our interior line.

Edited by vel

While this demonstrates a lack of communication and confusion on our O-line, my concern is that we lost most of our one-on-one battles. The amount of pressure they got just rushing 4 was troubling. Film and practice can improve our communication, but being physically dominated is not something that can be as easily coached

DTs will win 1 on 1s pretty often... That is the way of the NFL. We don't have any superstar lineman so we have to work as a scheme and the most important part is the communication.

I'd be willing to bet any top 10 DT can beat any of our interior lineman 1 on 1 most of the time. But with 3 on 2 (standard blocking) we will win that battle nearly every time with good communication.

6144324280_ddda0f0133_b.jpg

Or so we thought. As you can see, Reynolds (red cirlce) decides nobody is worth guarding leaving Hawley and Blalock to block the DTs 1v1 unnecessarily. The DTs put pressure on the gap between Blalock and Hawley by pinching there as you can see in the pic prior. Had Reynolds helped maintain the 3 on 2 advantage that they could have had, Ryan would have had a nice pocket as Baker stoned Peppers and Clabo was hanlding Idonije. He even could have slid to the right under Clabo for more time find his guys open (yellow circles). And underneath, if you look back from the first picture to the second picture, HD is open underneath Julio's curl.

But unfortunately, even having a 3 on 2 advantage in the middle doesn't sound like a smart move for our interior line.

if I'm watching this on the sideline, I'm calling a designed QB run. look at that space. that's a good 5 or 6 yards. or I may Harry turn inside and allow TG & Snelling to setup down field blocks

if I'm watching this on the sideline, I'm calling a designed QB run. look at that space. that's a good 5 or 6 yards. or I may Harry turn inside and allow TG & Snelling to setup down field blocks

Why is EVERYONE running stop routes at the same depth. Look at that. Thats the problem with our Offense. We run everything at the same depth and allows for an easier coverage for the Defense

Why is EVERYONE running stop routes at the same depth. Look at that. Thats the problem with our Offense. We run everything at the same depth and allows for an easier coverage for the Defense

yep. Snelling should be be running a shorter route to bring some defenders up and someone should be going deep to draw defenders back, and maybe open someone up underneath. matter of fact Ryan looking right like that Harry could easily shoot behind JJ and fly down field, if Reynolds would have held the block and bought Ryan another second

yep. Snelling should be be running a shorter route to bring some defenders up and someone should be going deep to draw defenders back, and maybe open someone up underneath. matter of fact Ryan looking right like that Harry could easily shoot behind JJ and fly down field, if Reynolds would have held the block and bought Ryan another second

And people think its all on Ryan. He plays a part just like everyone else but he being tied down by a 1990s OC who will not adjust to the new age of FB. That play right there demonstrates the problem with our offense. We don't even throw to guys on the move. Its pretty redundant and stupid. Never will understand our Passing O and things will only get worse...

Now don't go acting like Dahl was a stud in pass protection. He made mistakes like this two. But his was more so on stunts and blitzes than 4 man rushes. This is unacceptable. Yes MM called a weak play but this was a set up for a deep play I can bet. This was to get some quick yards to take a shot on second down. But thanks to Reynolds forgetting his job, it didn't happen. One thing I learned when I played football was "Find some work". Reynolds didn't have any work and didn't find any and we paid for it. He had to know it was no way he was helping Clabo. He is a guard. That means keep the middle locked down. If he even bumps the DT Hawley is trying to block, it shifts his momentum/leverage and now Hawley and Reynolds are doubling him as Blalock gained control of his man and had him stoned too.

But this also goes back to me saying Ryan was scared of Urlacher. He should have seen 2 high safeties means Urlacher is dropping deep middle in a Tampa 2 look. Tony G is wide open for a quick 5-6 yd gain. Instead, Ryan locks onto Roddy and doesn't go through any kind of progression. I really don't think he knew what the defense was running because if he did, he would know the left side was the open side with Julio running a curl and HD running a flat route. This puts the corner in a tough spot to pick one. In the second picture you see Julio is open as he has a step on the corner and the nickel is running to cover Tony G. Fast forwarding another split second and Julio has about 3 yards between him and the corner and the corner hadn't even turned around yet. Therefore, HD is in the flats WIDE open with only the corner guarding JJ to beat for a big gain as the safety is 20+ yards away and the nickel is going in the wrong direction.

Matt needs to get his playmakers the ball in space. HD was in space.

But instead:

6144625254_811e76565b_b.jpg

Ryan back pedals, doesn't set his feet throwing off his back foot and misses Snelling. Nobody is near him. Further down the play, Roddy is wide open on a deep in. If he was patient, the guy supposed to be covering Roddy steps up on Snelling uncovering the window for Roddy.

So yes, Ryan was shook. He couldn't regain his poise this game. He is human. It is bound to happen. But I can't fully fault the OLine. Yes two plays don't redeem them this game, but he had time numerous times and was to scared to trust it. Tom Brady can go from having 5 seconds one play to ducking and dodging the next play and back to standing tall and trusting his OL.

Yea, had Dahl been in there, he would have found someone to level ..afraid we gonna miss him more than we thought .......... :(

Yea and end up with yet another penalty, One thing that doesn't seem to be realized around here is that Dahl was NOT a good pass protector. HE JUST ISN'T!!! I personally rather have the young guys in there to see what they are made of. We had to throw them to the fire at some point. There is such thing as growing pains guys. The o line will learn from this. One thing i don't get is how everyone here seems to have no faith in a turnaround, despite the fact that one of the most consistent aspects of this team the last 3 years has been their performances following a loss the week before. I'm gonna say it now. We win the Philli game. And i actually believe that.

O yea I understand growing pains and these things are fixable but this was pitiful. This happened more than once where the OG would go help the OTs instead of keeping the inside locked down. Basically, if Blalock or Reynolds didn't have a man, they would abandon the center and got help the OT. That's why the DTs were pushing the pocket. This should have been seen during the game.

But instead:

6144625254_811e76565b_b.jpg

Ryan back pedals, doesn't set his feet throwing off his back foot and misses Snelling. Nobody is near him. Further down the play, Roddy is wide open on a deep in. If he was patient, the guy supposed to be covering Roddy steps up on Snelling uncovering the window for Roddy.

So yes, Ryan was shook. He couldn't regain his poise this game. He is human. It is bound to happen. But I can't fully fault the OLine. Yes two plays don't redeem them this game, but he had time numerous times and was to scared to trust it. Tom Brady can go from having 5 seconds one play to ducking and dodging the next play and back to standing tall and trusting his OL.

On that play the CB was on blitzing and was very close to sacking Ryan. I remember that play.....