Falcons Rapidreports: Sept. 12

theProf

Latest Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 12, 2011 6:30 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Romberg returns to Falcons

The Falcons waived C Rob Bruggeman and signed C Brett Romberg Monday. Romberg is a six-year veteran who played with Atlanta in 2009 where he saw action in 10 games as a special-teams player and reserve offensive lineman. He was also signed in 2011 and invited to training camp, but didn’t make the 53-man roster. Falcons RapidReports

Tags: Falcons moves

<p class="buttonBar stacked" style="width: 58px; height: 58px; overflow: hidden">

Sept. 12, 2011 6:21 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Smith laments lack of tackling fundamentals

Head Coach Mike Smith said it’s tough emphasizing fundamentals in tackling when the team can only practice in pads once per week: “They had two 50-plus yard plays where balls were thrown behind the line of scrimmage, one for a touchdown and one to the 1-yard line. We have got to firm up our tackling.” Falcons RapidReports

<p class="buttonBar stacked" style="width: 58px; height: 58px; overflow: hidden">

Sept. 12, 2011 6:20 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Hayden, Sanders not ready in Week 1, but getting there

New CB Kelvin Hayden didn’t play Sunday and S James Sanders only on special teams. Head coach Mike Smith said they’re almost ready: “We feel like they are getting close to being ready to play. Let’s be perfectly clear that we want to get those guys out onto the field as quick as we can.“ Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 12, 2011 6:14 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Ryan takes a beating in pass-only offense

Head Coach Mike Smith said QB Matt Ryan was pounded Sunday because the Falcons were forced into a pass-only offense: “Much more than we’d like (him) to, not just a little bit. When you let a defensive line only defend against one thing, it makes it tougher for the offensive protection to hold up.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 12, 2011 5:59 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - C McClure cleared to start next rehab phase

Injured starting C Todd McClure (knee) has been cleared to start working outside with team trainers on his rehabilitation, said head coach Mike Smith. McClure began his work with the rehabilitation staff Monday and will be evaluated and assessed throughout the week as to whether he can play Sunday against Philadelphia. Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 12, 2011 5:49 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Smith recognizes C Hawley for solid game

Head Coach Mike Smith praised C Joe Hawley, who made his first NFL start on Sunday in Chicago: “I thought Joe Hawley did a very nice job stepping in for C Todd McClure," Smith said. "Of all the guys, after watching the tape today, Hawley had the most solid game of all the linemen.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 12, 2011 5:48 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Falcons had to abandon effective run game

The Falcons vacated running with RB Michael Turner even though he had 100 yards on 10 carries because the Falcons had to abandon the run late, said head coach Mike Smith: “We got in a situation, unfortunately, where we wanted to run the football but weren’t able to -- the score got out of hand.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 12, 2011 5:38 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Positive and negative of Falcons' defense from coach

Head Coach Mike Smith’s biggest positive and negative from Sunday’s loss to Chicago: “The positive from the game was we were able to sack the quarterback five times. The negative from the game was that we had entirely too many missed tackles.” Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 12, 2011 5:26 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - P Bosher settled down, had decent performance

Coach Mike Smith said that after the first punt P Matt Bosher kicked fairly well: “Well, actually if you look at the field position chart at the end of the game, we won the field position battle by (average) drive start,” he said. Falcons RapidReports

Sept. 12, 2011 5:23 p.m. - by Knox Bardeen - Coach Smith: Falcons must improve third-down efficiency

Coach Mike Smith mentioned one play in particular but said the Falcons had to improve third down efficiency on defense: “They got on a run very early and converted on the first drive on a flag route and we were in a blitz zone – we had a miscommunication and there was an uncovered guy.” Falcons RapidReports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/ATL

Coach Mike Smith mentioned one play in particular but said the Falcons had to improve third down efficiency on defense: “They got on a run very early and converted on the first drive on a flag route and we were in a blitz zone – we had a miscommunication and there was an uncovered guy.” Falcons RapidReports

http://www.cbssports...eports/team/ATL

This is year four in BVGs defense. There should be no "miscommunication".

Furthermore, I'd rather see Hayden and Sanders out there, even if they make mistakes, then see Owens or DeCoud f* up easy plays!

Seeing him on the field just makes me want to pick up my TV and destroy it...

i know how you feel after the ryan fumble that they score on i flexed my calf out of anger and pulled the muscle.

The coach knows and understand more than we do. I do not take Smith as one who jives. On the other hand, Hawley may have been our best o-lineman, but that is not saying much when taking into consideration the collective performance by our line.

The coach knows and understand more than we do. I do not take Smith as one who jives. On the other hand, Hawley may have been our best o-lineman, but that is not saying much when taking into consideration the collective performance by our line.

He may just know what the guy responds to. Some guys crumple under excess criticism. We will probably need Hawley to start at least one more game.

Smith laments lack of tackling fundamentals

Head Coach Mike Smith said it’s tough emphasizing fundamentals in tackling when the team can only practice in pads once per week: “They had two 50-plus yard plays where balls were thrown behind the line of scrimmage, one for a touchdown and one to the 1-yard line. We have got to firm up our tackling.” Falcons RapidReports

Were they only allowed to practice in pads once per week in the last two years, too?

I love ya, Smitty, but c'mon, man. Get in their a** about not wrapping up!

Only truly good thing I heard from this is that they want Hayden and Sanders in ASAP.

Even if they don't "fully" know the book, they MUST be in the game on Sunday.

These guys are veteran leaders and playmakers.

DeCoud has entirely lost his ability to do anything and Owens is simply awful.

If what you say is true with Sanders and Hayden, then why were they let go on their previous team?