It's Time to See Our Team For What It Really Is

Theyhateme : )

Honestly, we have a "good" football team and nothing more. Now that's not a bad thing, however, we've been viewing our team for the potential that it has. That's what gets us in trouble when we lose games such as Pittsburgh (last year), GB (playoffs) and Chicago.

Looking back on last year, we had at least four games that should not have been as close as they were and we ended up mounting comebacks in the last minutes of the game. Although they were wins, it may have provided a false sense of security.

Here's what I see:

Coaching: Best Year, 2008. Coaching was unpredictable and kept defenses off balance. The types of plays were called that suited to the strengths of Matt, Turner and Roddy. However, in the playoff game against the Cardinals, early and often, we saw the defense jumping Matt's snap count and coaching staff did nothing the counter it. I wondered why and was left with an unfavorable opinion about our coaching staff concerning the unwillingness to change up the snap count. Great teams, at least make adjustments. We lost in the first round to an 9 and 7 team.

2009, The staff decided to add a piece that would get us to the SB or at least that was the rumor. We should've been focusing on winning fundamentals and winning a post-season game. But what we saw plays designed to get the ball to our new acquistion to the tune of 83 catches. No playoff appearence and no big plays from the passing game to be seriously noted.

2010, Again we had big expectations and for the most part going 13-3 and securing home field advantage was exactly what we were aiming for and we hit our mark, but the road along the way was rather questionalbe at times. Roddy White lead the team with 115 catches, 1300+ yards with 10 TDs. That's pretty good, but the staff didn't show much else to opposing defenses other than throwing to Roddy and running Turner. Buy now, we've established a reputation for setting up the offense around the run, so teams loaded up to stop it and we hadn't show that we were willing to take risks on offense expect when it was absolutely do or die (Ryan's greatest performances), however this has mislead us.

Defense? Coaching, I'd say. 3rd and long has plagued us since the Brooking era. Whose still playing with Dallas, BTW. Our coaching philosophyscheme on defense as it pertains to the CB position is VERY SUSPECT. We've seen several times this year where Owens covers his man and peel off into an area of the field where there's no one while the man he initially covered makes the catch and the Owens appear back in the picture looking confused. THAT IS COACHING guys...period. What kind of scheme is that?

Anyways, I have officially lowered my expetations for our Birds this year from "high powered" to better than average team, because that's what they are and it's not a bad thing.

Honestly, we have a "good" football team and nothing more. Now that's not a bad thing, however, we've been viewing our team for the potential that it has. That's what gets us in trouble when we lose games such as Pittsburgh (last year), GB (playoffs) and Chicago.

Looking back on last year, we had at least four games that should not have been as close as they were and we ended up mounting comebacks in the last minutes of the game. Although they were wins, it may have provided a false sense of security.

Here's what I see:

Coaching: Best Year, 2008. Coaching was unpredictable and kept defenses off balance. The types of plays were called that suited to the strengths of Matt, Turner and Roddy. However, in the playoff game against the Cardinals, early and often, we saw the defense jumping Matt's snap count and coaching staff did nothing the counter it. I wondered why and was left with an unfavorable opinion about our coaching staff concerning the unwillingness to change up the snap count. Great teams, at least make adjustments. We lost in the first round to an 9 and 7 team.

2009, The staff decided to add a piece that would get us to the SB or at least that was the rumor. We should've been focusing on winning fundamentals and winning a post-season game. But what we saw plays designed to get the ball to our new acquistion to the tune of 83 catches. No playoff appearence and no big plays from the passing game to be seriously noted.

2010, Again we had big expectations and for the most part going 13-3 and securing home field advantage was exactly what we were aiming for and we hit our mark, but the road along the way was rather questionalbe at times. Roddy White lead the team with 115 catches, 1300+ yards with 10 TDs. That's pretty good, but the staff didn't show much else to opposing defenses other than throwing to Roddy and running Turner. Buy now, we've established a reputation for setting up the offense around the run, so teams loaded up to stop it and we hadn't show that we were willing to take risks on offense expect when it was absolutely do or die (Ryan's greatest performances), however this has mislead us.

Defense? Coaching, I'd say. 3rd and long has plagued us since the Brooking era. Whose still playing with Dallas, BTW. Our coaching philosophyscheme on defense as it pertains to the CB position is VERY SUSPECT. We've seen several times this year where Owens covers his man and peel off into an area of the field where there's no one while the man he initially covered makes the catch and the Owens appear back in the picture looking confused. THAT IS COACHING guys...period. What kind of scheme is that?

Anyways, I have officially lowered my expetations for our Birds this year from "high powered" to better than average team, because that's what they are and it's not a bad thing.

Our defensive scheme sucks. Plain and simple. Van Gorder is horrible. We have speed on defense. We could blitz and force teams into mistakes, but we sit back and "BEND" that is some UGA garbage Football coaching right there

Edited by SkiFalcon

We need to find a way to get back to 08' I have no answer as to how to do that but, MM needs to pull his head from you know where and realize that if the entire fan base can call your play before you break huddle you can bet on the opposing defense can probably do the same.. and BVG.. the 3-3-5 teams chalk that up to a first down every time they see it so we should probably ******* FIX IT SHOULDNT WE!? the stubbornness of this coaching staff will kill us all, no ifs and or buts about that..

I agree with alot of what you said, this season could be maddening if things dont get fixed in a hurry

81 views and no replies...I don't quite know how to take this one. Perhaps it's too long or it makes no sense...

You make some good points, especially that we may have overestimated the true talent and coaching abilities of this team. As for the lack of comments, I think we are all just sick to our stomachs about what we saw yesterday...and for me personally, what makes me even more sick is that I know the solution(s) will not happen soon enough to save this season--namely, replace BVG, build a stronger OL, and download some imagination, creativity and courage into Mike Mularkey's brain!

You make some good points, especially that we may have overestimated the true talent and coaching abilities of this team. As for the lack of comments, I think we are all just sick to our stomachs about what we saw yesterday...and for me personally, what makes me even more sick is that I know the solution(s) will not happen soon enough to save this season--namely, replace BVG, build a stronger OL, and download some imagination, creativity and courage into Mike Mularkey's brain!

Yeah...I can dig it. It's tough times right now.

BVG has said we would blitz more if he knew his corners could man up... so he isnt confident in them to play man on a consistent basis... sounds like players to me... i kno one thing.. if im a DB and i need 4 extra ppl on every 3rd down to help in pass coverage instead of going to get the QB i would feel embarrassed.. it takes 4 extra guys and we stiill cnt get off the field? either way we see how u need a pass rush as well as coverage. they wrk hand in hand.

BVG has said we would blitz more if he knew his corners could man up... so he isnt confident in them to play man on a consistent basis... sounds like players to me... i kno one thing.. if im a DB and i need 4 extra ppl on every 3rd down to help in pass coverage instead of going to get the QB i would feel embarrassed.. it takes 4 extra guys and we stiill cnt get off the field? either way we see how u need a pass rush as well as coverage. they wrk hand in hand.

It's still his responsiblity to get the type of players for his defense, but the problem is, NFL offenses absolutely destroys his defensive schemes.

Something wrong there...why the heck do we have corners on this team that cant play man!?!

Good posting.... and you are right on many points. As a long time fan heck I am loving that we are finally Competitive & can give most teams a run for their money, at least at home! Heck, I remember the dog days of being the doormat for teams like SF & Dallas for years…. But last year we were maybe the 8th best team in the NFL.... drink the koolaid, but that fact will not change.... we finally got a taste of what it's like to have a real football team. It felt good!

We played great against the other 24 teams as we should, but we were not great. Few injuries & IMO we overachieved most of the year which helped. Now IMO we did little to take us to the next level over the off season… we basically kept the same players and schemes which fail at the upper level. So thus far we are 0-5 for 2011 & I see no improvement to make us any better than #8 again…. Maybe 7 or 6 : ) Peter King is an idiot btw. But again we should be happy with that vs the old falcons as now we can play some ball…. Watch NE tonight and see how easy they move the ball up & down the field… heck Miami is looking great right now too… its not that hard but we seem to struggle so often… Great teams show up week after week and play ball. We are a roller coaster team.. up and down especially down on the road for the most part which will not get you to the top.

Good post. My biggest issue is that our coaching staff makes no adjustments during the game, offense and defense. We have a philosophy and we stick to it... it works during the regular season but come postseason, it knocks us out in round one. It seems now our coaches put the players in a system in place of designing a system that takes advantages of our players' strengths. We need to be more creative with our schemes and use the strengths of our players.

Good post. My biggest issue is that our coaching staff makes no adjustments during the game, offense and defense. We have a philosophy and we stick to it... it works during the regular season but come postseason, it knocks us out in round one. It seems now our coaches put the players in a system in place of designing a system that takes advantages of our players' strengths. We need to be more creative with our schemes and use the strengths of our players.

Hard-headed and stubborn....Good way to describe our coaches....They keep on trying and trying similar things expecting different results....We're in year 4 now under this regime...It's time for some noticeable change on offense and defense...The same offense and defense from the first three years ain't gonna fly with the amount of talent we have on the offensive and defensive side of the ball

Hard-headed and stubborn....Good way to describe our coaches....They keep on trying and trying similar things expecting different results....We're in year 4 now under this regime...It's time for some noticeable change on offense and defense...The same offense and defense from the first three years ain't gonna fly with the amount of talent we have on the offensive and defensive side of the ball

I think I'd rather see us go back and grind it out with Turner and playoff of that momentum. At least MM came right out with the ??? huddle and went down the field for 3 pts. I believe he did it the second series. Anyways, MM tried something different and it didn't work out. It's gonna be very interesting to see what happens come Sunday night. God please don't let our ugly defense show up on prime-time TV again.

I hate losing, and I hate to see our Falcons lose as much as any of you. But, I still remember the 'old days', when ATL was more of a 3-13 team than a 13-3. I am proud to now have a team that is competitive and has the attention (yet still not the respect) of the NFL. As to this first loss, don't count this team out.

Something I posted a few weeks back: Pundits say this team is more likely a 12-4 or 11-5 team this year. Fine. The object is to get to the playoffs and then win out. Problem is, very few on this board can accept a loss (even an ugly one like Sunday's) So, if I told you right here, right now that the '11 Falcons would go 11-5, guaranteed, would you be good with that? If so, then this is one of those losses that we have to bear (no pun intended).

This team has a lot of football left to play, and a lot of games left to win.

What can anyone say to this? It's the truth. Coaching got away with going to just Turner and Roddy early on, but teams have adjusted and our vanilla coaching hasn't.

I hate to admit it but this current regime (GM, HC, OC, DC & ST coach) cannot take this team to the next level. Arthur needs to start holdng these guys all accountable for not having the right personnel in place and putting this team in the best position to win.

I hate losing, and I hate to see our Falcons lose as much as any of you. But, I still remember the 'old days', when ATL was more of a 3-13 team than a 13-3. I am proud to now have a team that is competitive and has the attention (yet still not the respect) of the NFL. As to this first loss, don't count this team out.

Something I posted a few weeks back: Pundits say this team is more likely a 12-4 or 11-5 team this year. Fine. The object is to get to the playoffs and then win out. Problem is, very few on this board can accept a loss (even an ugly one like Sunday's) So, if I told you right here, right now that the '11 Falcons would go 11-5, guaranteed, would you be good with that? If so, then this is one of those losses that we have to bear (no pun intended).

This team has a lot of football left to play, and a lot of games left to win.

I'd be good with it. Especially if you said that we'd look fundamentatly sound while doing so. It'll be even better if you could throw in a playoff victory so we can get that monkey off our backs.

we have great players and together they are a great unit, but they're being lead by people who don't play to win, they play to contain and control. once somebody gets the bright idea to play to win and attack opponents on offense and defense, then the great team we know we have will show up and get the job done.