I love me some Falcons and will continue win or lose until I die, but I have some real good questions.

Why can't we move Grimes to the nickel to roam free and ball hawk in the zone (what he is good at) and let Hayden and Dunta play man?

Why can't we go from the shotgun more and spread the field? (Chicago had 2.8 - 3.2 seconds to throw the ball while we had 2.0 - 2.2 sec to throw AFTER we went through our play action fakes.)

Why can't Weems stay in the friggin end zone instead of running it out to the 12 yd line and fair catch punts instead of letting them roll inside the 10?

Why can't we max protect and just try to throw the ball deep once to Julio or Roddy on the leading outside shoulder?

If opposing defenses are playing back so we can't go deep as so many have stated:

Why can't we run WR screens like every other team in the NFL?

Why can't we just pop the ball out to our giant WRs to get 7 yards?

I could go on, but would like everyone's take on these scheme and personnel type questions first.....

I love me some Falcons and will continue win or lose until I die, but I have some real good questions.

Why can't we move Grimes to the nickel to roam free and ball hawk in the zone (what he is good at) and let Hayden and Dunta play man?

Why can't we go from the shotgun more and spread the field? (Chicago had 2.8 - 3.2 seconds to throw the ball while we had 2.0 - 2.2 sec to throw AFTER we went through our play action fakes.)

Why can't Weems stay in the friggin end zone instead of running it out to the 12 yd line and fair catch punts instead of letting them roll inside the 10?

Why can't we max protect and just try to throw the ball deep once to Julio or Roddy on the leading outside shoulder?

If opposing defenses are playing back so we can't go deep as so many have stated:

I could go on, but would like everyone's take on these scheme and personnel type questions first.....

You ask good questions and I have some of the same ones. I really, really, really hate zone defense. I think CB's should all be playing man to man unless you just have guys that can't match up. I have thought for a while our formations are too predictable at times and we don't spread teams out. I would run no huddle as my base offense like the Falcons did yesterday and I would have 3 WR's on the field 70% of the time. I could not see down field and see what Matt saw, but there has to be somebody open. I know Matt didn't have a lot of time at times, but there were some occasions where I think he held it a beat too long. That being said, he still threw for over 300, we just didn't get the ball in the endzone and turned the ball over too much. D let us down too. Weems was horrible yesterday.

Edited by isproab

Have one of the top defenses in the league?

Announcer: "I know Drew Brees lost a lot of sleep this past week knowing that Brian Van Gorder & his defense was coming to town! BVG is one of the best at attacking an offenses weaknesses & will come at you all day long from every direction. A lot of Offensive Coordinators lose sleep the week before they play against a BVG defense!"

“The Process” Just Ain’t Getting It Done Mike

Hayden just started with the team, and is coming off injury from last season. It's going to take some time for him to adjust to the scheme. I don't expect immediate results.

Good question, maybe due to lack of confidence in spreading the ball regardless of the formation used.

Weems had a bad game. I think that he will do a lot better as the season goes on. Chalk it up to first week jitters.

It depends on the defense. Yesterday's opponent, Chicago, plays a Cover 2 defense, which pretty much negates deep balls. One thing I think we should have done to negate this defense is run a lot of seams and corner routes. However, it would've taken extra time for these routes to develop; time that Matt Ryan did not have.

Talk to Mike Mularkey.

Talk to Mike Mularkey.

One thing I want to see throughout the year is us using Jacquizz Rodgers more on 3rd downs out the backfield, just like the Jets use Tomlinson. Send Rodgers on a quick flat route and have him make plays out in the open. That would keep the DEs/OLBs from rushing hard to the QB and stay in their lanes more in order to possibly account for that pass threat out of the backfield.

Edited by BMoreFalconsFan09

i mean it is pretty much common sense that screens can slow down an aggressive d, yet mm refuses to use them. i agree we should go man up, especially when the opponent doesn t have a overwhelming #1 like yesterday. weems looked horrible yesterday, he does realize a fair catch means he shouldn t be hit? i don t get it. i just think neither coordinator can get the job done.

Edited by birdz4i

.. honestly grimey is our best cover corner, weather that be man or zone, so it wnt make a difference to put him in the slot if the other guys cnt cover...

well ill answer the other question about shotgun, we have a run based offense that plays off play action for the passing game. why? dnt ask me, but thats how the offense is set up. we cnt throw deep if it`s cover two, that defense is meant to stop over the top passes. so thats why we didnt see to many deep passes that game.

I really like this idea, put Grimes at DB/NB and let him lock down half the field. How often do we run nickel/dime sets though? and with Grimes being possibly our best secondary player, he has to be out there on every play. BvG is too vanilla for this too... I think this defense could be sooo much better with the same players if we just had a DC that knew how to call plays...

I believe Ryan is better up on the line than in shotgun. Also, to spread the field, we need someone better than Douglas as our third receiver. When GB runs shotgun, they have a four or five receiver out there that would be a 2nd-3rd receiver on other teams. Jordy Nelson is their third receiver behind Jennings & Driver, and Jermaine Jones looked good in the Saints game too. The way I see it, we have White & Jones as threats. If Terrell Owens wasn't such a cancer, I would say bring him in as our third receiver.

Because the new rule change is not only frustrating fans, but the players as well. A good kick returner is not even needed anymore. If I couldn't do my job anymore due to a rule change, I would be frustrated too, although I agree he has to be smarter.

This is due to Ryan being what I call a 20 yard QB. He is a great QB, as long as the play is within 20 yards. Ryan is more of a distributor than a playmaker. He dumps the ball off to White, Julio, or Gonzalez and they run and make plays. A lot of curl, flare, drag, and slant routes. It's not a bad thing, as long as you have enough playmakers on the field at one time.

Personally, I hate WR screens and the reason we can't run them is because the teams that can run them usually hit the fastest receiver and have other WR & TE's that can block.

I am not sure why this doesn't happen more. I think slant routes are the most effective play in a NFL offense. Maybe Murlarky thinks he has to hit home runs to win the game instead of just getting singles.

These are just my opinions, but I do agree that this team can be frustrating to watch sometimes, but I will be a Falcons supporter until I die!

I really like this idea, put Grimes at DB/NB and let him lock down half the field. How often do we run nickel/dime sets though? and with Grimes being possibly our best secondary player, he has to be out there on every play. BvG is too vanilla for this too... I think this defense could be sooo much better with the same players if we just had a DC that knew how to call plays...

Nothing says Grimes can't play corner on 1st and 2nd down and slide to the nickel on passing downs. Also, Coach Smith said that the nickel back actually play in 55% of the total defensive plays in a season.

“Last year, we played over 55 percent in our [nickel] defense,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “Our nickel plays more than our third linebacker. ... You’ve got to have the ability to match up with five defensive backs.”

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO. You could even slide Dunta to the nickel to blitz every once in a while. I simply can't believe that BVG isn't creative enough to do this. Grimes would be the top nickel in the league with Hayden and Dunta pressing man on passing downs.