This snippet from Michael Lombardi sums up the most frustrating thing for me..

CSI:SCOTLAND

Link : http://www.nfl.com/n...?module=HP11_cp

"This three-man defensive line on long third down situations looks useless, especially against accurate throwers like Rodgers, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. Just ask Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. Quarterbacks know they can hold the ball longer, look off defenders with their eyes and find open spots in zone coverages. It drives me nuts"

I know calling Jay Cutler an "accurate thrower" may be a stretch, especially to mention him along side Rodgers and Brees, but watching his receivers finding holes in the zone 10+ yards down the field and just sitting waiting for the ball as he has time to look over the whole field DRIVES...ME...CRAAAAZY.

I know the team as a whole didn't play their best last night, but that was the biggest thing for me.

Phew, i feel better....

Yep. When you see the same scheme being used over and over and it's failing to stop the pass plays, you have to wonder what the heck is going on.

I'm like everybody else. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of seeing this. I guess it could go back to that old saying, "None are so blind as those who WILL NOT SEE."

plus it wears down our pass rushers & gives their lineman a bit of a break. how would you like being double-teamed by a couple of 300 pound dudes every other 4th play? and people got the nerve to complain about the defensive line. don't the staff realize that teams have seen that on film and any OC worth his salt is gonna design plays to beat it. the thing that pisses me off about the staff is that, Chicago is known for having a weak offensive line, and Cutler is known for collapsing under pressure, yet we didn't exploit either. Chicago secondary is very suspect and we didn't attack them. regardless of whether we played our best or not we still didn't put our best foot forward.

It's absolutely disturbing, especially when in that situation, the offensive line will probably double-team Abraham and hope the other two lineman can get the advantage in a 1-on-1 situation.

I don't care if we get beat occasionally, but we need to at least incorporate some press coverage once in a while. Opposing teams pretty much know at this point once it comes to 3rd down, expect someone to be open in the middle of the field for 10+ yards.

I just don't understand what BVG is thinking. 3rd and long, keep the pressure up, sure he may get a quick dump off away but hopefully so quick that it goes for 3-4 yards tops, instead of giving him all day to find someone 15 yards down the field sitting right in the hole of our zone. It was a very winnable game, numerous sacks and pressures WHEN WE SENT PERSONNEL. I don't care how bad the bears D-line is, even they can match up well 5 v 3. It's not even as if it's a secret that BVG likes to call 3-3-5 on 3rd down, it's basically common knowledge. H*** i'm sure there was even a discussion with Smithy about it during the offseason on falcons.com. It played right into the hands of what Martz wanted to do on offense

It's absolutely disturbing, especially when in that situation, the offensive line will probably double-team Abraham and hope the other two lineman can get the advantage in a 1-on-1 situation.

I don't care if we get beat occasionally, but we need to at least incorporate some press coverage once in a while. Opposing teams pretty much know at this point once it comes to 3rd down, expect someone to be open in the middle of the field for 10+ yards.

It's not as bad as you think.

They're not going to double Abraham because it seems like 1/2 the time he's dropping back into coverage.

I'm convinced we do this because plays like this worked GREAT... against college QBs when he was at UGA and they didn't look at film or see a lot of zone blitzes.

you know something, as much as we all are getting tired of seeing this, u gotta think, does BVG have much of a choice? i mean he is dropping 8 guys in coverage. i mean i would like for him to TRY to be more aggressive but he knows he got CBs who cnt cover, or at least he doesnt have the confidence in his secondary to play man and blitz, even in zone, so it does put him in a difficult spot, but dang man... wat is really the problem with our secondary?

Haha i think your sig feels my pain Sun Tzu!

I feel like we've been needing a new DC for the last 2 years, and if things keep up like this then we may finally get 1. I've questioned the signing of BVG from the start, I think we can get a vast improvement at DC instead of a college DC

We are of the same mind.

It's not as bad as you think.

They're not going to double Abraham because it seems like 1/2 the time he's dropping back into coverage.

I'm convinced we do this because plays like this worked GREAT... against college QBs when he was at UGA and they didn't look at film or see a lot of zone blitzes.

True to the bold, and that frustrates me more. Since he's our best pass rusher, who is dropping into coverage.

Edited by BMoreFalconsFan09

you know something, as much as we all are getting tired of seeing this, u gotta think, does BVG have much of a choice? i mean he is dropping 8 guys in coverage. i mean i would like for him to TRY to be more aggressive but he knows he got CBs who cnt cover, or at least he doesnt have the confidence in his secondary to play man and blitz, even in zone, so it does put him in a difficult spot, but dang man... wat is really the problem with our secondary?

what gave you the impression they can't cover. even when Owens was starting he looked good in man-to-man coverage. Dunta can press cover, so can Grimes. Franks was good in man cover. out of all the games I've seen I've never seen our corners gashed while in man, they usually get burned in the zone. I last season Dunta had 2 plays where he let defenders get behind him and of those 2 he played underneath thinking he had safety help.

Link : http://www.nfl.com/n...?module=HP11_cp

"This three-man defensive line on long third down situations looks useless, especially against accurate throwers like Rodgers, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. Just ask Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. Quarterbacks know they can hold the ball longer, look off defenders with their eyes and find open spots in zone coverages. It drives me nuts"

I know calling Jay Cutler an "accurate thrower" may be a stretch, especially to mention him along side Rodgers and Brees, but watching his receivers finding holes in the zone 10+ yards down the field and just sitting waiting for the ball as he has time to look over the whole field DRIVES...ME...CRAAAAZY.

I know the team as a whole didn't play their best last night, but that was the biggest thing for me.

Phew, i feel better....

I agree... I've taken special looks at all teams that choose to rush only three down linemen, and the success rate is very low. It's not just the Falcons.

plus it wears down our pass rushers & gives their lineman a bit of a break. how would you like being double-teamed by a couple of 300 pound dudes every other 4th play? and people got the nerve to complain about the defensive line. don't the staff realize that teams have seen that on film and any OC worth his salt is gonna design plays to beat it. the thing that pisses me off about the staff is that, Chicago is known for having a weak offensive line, and Cutler is known for collapsing under pressure, yet we didn't exploit either. Chicago secondary is very suspect and we didn't attack them. regardless of whether we played our best or not we still didn't put our best foot forward.

The numbers from the game contradict virtually all of your points/complaints... Didn't exploit the Bears O-line or Cutler's decision-making: 5 sacks and 1 INT (what really shoulda been three if DeCoud doesn't have bricks for hands)

Didn't attack their secondary: 319 yards on 47 pass attempts... how is that not attacking the secondary?

So Matt Ryan never aired the ball out for 40 yards... there are other ways to get explosive plays and the Falcons had plenty that game from the passing game.

You and many others are letting your emotions from the game cloud your judgement.

Other teams like the Ravens, Jets, Bears, Green Bay, etc on defense they show you one thing and then do another.

Is it just me or do we pretty much show you exactly what we're going to do from the start? Why can't we disguise any of our coverages?

I would say "It's just you," but so many others keep bringing up the same thing... Quite a few of our coverages and blitzes are disguised -- if not most. Countless times we've had linemen drop back into coverage and LBs and Safeties come on delayed blitzes.

Occasionally, do corners and LBs show their blitzing intentions early and actually come? Sure. But every team has a call(s) where the players actually show before the snap. You guys are being naiive if you think otherwise.

I know we exploited CHI for the most part with their suspect line, and i'm not debating that fact. It's literally just the 3rd and long playcalling i'm judging. I think we needed to keep attacking them, not sitting back and waiting for them to get open against our zones with that 3-3-5

And we did and didn't attack their secondary, depending on your definition of attacking. Yes, we did get 47 attempts and 319 yards but very few vertical passes, but that's CHI's strength, they don't let those sorta plays happen, then were letting our running backs get open underneath all day long, and they're fine with that. they'll give us 3-5 yards all day and wait for us to make a mistake.

At least Julio had a good game, 5 catches, 70 yards, will take that from day 1 of our rookie happily.

The football gods were just against us, some very uncharacteristic falcons football.

what gave you the impression they can't cover. even when Owens was starting he looked good in man-to-man coverage. Dunta can press cover, so can Grimes. Franks was good in man cover. out of all the games I've seen I've never seen our corners gashed while in man, they usually get burned in the zone. I last season Dunta had 2 plays where he let defenders get behind him and of those 2 he played underneath thinking he had safety help.

its simple, if they were soooo good in man to man coverage dnt u think we would run that instead of zone??? and last time i checked when we tried to play man we got burned, we do it ever preseason and end up playing zone in the regular season... idk why.. maybe BVG has no confidence in playing man, cause i rather play man, but you cnt say anything about chris or franks in man coverage, that was two yrs ago with owens and a year ago in one game with franks, harldy anything to show they can do it consistently... plus we maned up some in the playoffs and still got beat.

The numbers from the game contradict virtually all of your points/complaints... Didn't exploit the Bears O-line or Cutler's decision-making: 5 sacks and 1 INT (what really shoulda been three if DeCoud doesn't have bricks for hands)

Didn't attack their secondary: 319 yards on 47 pass attempts... how is that not attacking the secondary?

So Matt Ryan never aired the ball out for 40 yards... there are other ways to get explosive plays and the Falcons had plenty that game from the passing game.

You and many others are letting your emotions from the game cloud your judgement.

hey you're right. I'm completely satisfied with the performance from yesterday. mistakes happen

The 3 man line is a product of not getting home with the blitz. You blitz 6 and still don't get there the QB eats you up. You drop 8 into coverage and hope to cause a turnover or keep it in front of you. A great QB can beat both of these situations(Greg Williams tried everything against Rodgers and still got eaten alive). We NEED someone besides big Abe to step up, or we are gonna continue to see 3 man fronts on 3rd and long.