When was the last time the Falcons used the screen play?

ballfan

It seems to me the Falcon defense is regularly abused by screens when Atlanta D-Line has their ears pinned back. It is a deflating play that can force the D-line to be less aggressive.

Instead, Matt Ryan just drops back to the same place with a target on his chest whenever the Falcons are playing from behind. I just don’t get it.

Guest Absconditus

It was 2006. Michael Vick threw it 9 yards over Warrick Dunn's head. I remember it like it was yesterday because I haven't laughed that hard since.

I want to know why the 2 times I saw us put in Qui22, we ran him up the middle as if he was Turner or Snelling. I'm starting to think our play callers don't know how to use our talent. Qui22 needs to be in space, a screen would be perfect for him.

Swing passes, angle routes, plays to get him and other players the ball in space. I always felt that was the issue with our play callers. They just throw people into the fire. Why not run a pitch play, or anything of semblence. Our offense is very 1990s and that will be the downfall of our team..

I want to know why the 2 times I saw us put in Qui22, we ran him up the middle as if he was Turner or Snelling. I'm starting to think our play callers don't know how to use our talent. Qui22 needs to be in space, a screen would be perfect for him.

We were coveting a change of pace back since 08 and what do we do...pile drive him into the "D" line. The play-calling after that MT run at the start of the 3rd qtr was an abomination on MM part, and not worthy of NFL caliber players.

MM can not run a screen but relentlessly uses the same tired roll out plays. That gadget play with RW was utter garbage and would not have fooled a Div. 2 NCAAF much less a solid NFL "D".

We have gone as far as we can with MM.

A screen play is very effective against an aggressive defense that blitzes. That's why it works so well against us because when we blitz it's usually with the lb's and corners and no one is left to chase down the screen.

Unfortunately I dont think screen passes would have worked against the Bears because they weren't blitzing

A screen play is very effective against an aggressive defense that blitzes. That's why it works so well against us because when we blitz it's usually with the lb's and corners and no one is left to chase down the screen.

Unfortunately I dont think screen passes would have worked against the Bears because they weren't blitzing

By the 3rd Q the entire Bears d-line was doing nothing but looking for a sack. Peppers was flat out shooting up field. He has played the Falcons for long enough to know he has nothing to worry about, except a run or a 5 step drop. He ogt there as fast as Ryan a couple of times.

By the 3rd Q the entire Bears d-line was doing nothing but looking for a sack. Peppers was flat out shooting up field. He has played the Falcons for long enough to know he has nothing to worry about, except a run or a 5 step drop. He ogt there as fast as Ryan a couple of times.

Yeah, the D-Line was going nuts but the rest of the guys stayed in coverage so I don't think a screen would have been effective.

I love the concept of making the RB into a receiver. That is what made Snelling an excellent player for us last season. I think screens and flares are the most explosive plays in an offense's repertoire. That's what made Reggie Bush so dangerous for the Saints and Forte & Hester for the Bears yesterday. I think Jacquizz could be that type of guy for us!

HeII, I'm pretty sure the OL thought we were running screens every play based on what I saw. In all seriousness, I remember seeing 2 attempts at screens yesterday. One on a bubble screen to Julio that Peppers tipped and JJ caught anyway for a loss, and another one that at least looked like a screen to either Quizz or Snells that got eaten up by the defense as well.

You'll see plenty of them come Sunday. The best screen team in the league is coming to town. They can work against a 4 man rush too. Bunch the receivers to one side, clear them out to the opposite side of the field taking the defense with them, screen to the bunched side with the RB chipping a DE on a leak that looks like straight pass protection.

Don't blame MM, Knapp, Dan Reeves. . . It goes back to Ranken Smith and the original franchise Charter. As a condition of receiving an expansion franchise in 1966, The Atlanta Falcons National Football League Club was forever prohibited form running screen plays.

It's there, look it up.

So quit complaining! Would you rather have an NFL team is unable to throw a screen pass, or not have a team at all?

Edited by holymoses

What game were you watching? We attempted several screen passes in that game. Snelling dropped two of them. Our backs caught 11 passes yesterday, which is the most I've seen in a VERY long time. Chicago was just very good at snuffing them out. We were not.

Seriously. I thought I remembered a couple screens yesterday but I'm not sure. I'll check later. I don't think yall are watching the tapes before you post.