Panthers Thread

jungleking

I'm kind of tired of having to sift through ten different threads to find out whether somebody mentioned anything about the Panthers, and I'd like to keep all the notifications in one place, so I'm starting this to try and reduce the amount of time that I have to look through this site.

Week 1: Yep, it's Arizona. Yeah, we beat them last year. But, man, that felt good. Newton justified his selection in one week. He showed enough poise to run an effective two minute drill, on the road, against an aggressive defense. He had a few miscues--one interception, another that should have been, and a few balls that sailed on him when he got his footwork disrupted--and I don't expect him to repeat that performance for quite some time, but he just proved that he's a gamer and that his skills definitely translate to the league. I no longer regret Andrew Luck not coming out. Everything that I hoped Cam would be, he apparently is.

He also took the loss hard, got disappointed and took the blame on himself. Nothing but professionalism. He doesn't care that he's the reason we had a chance to win, or about the record he broke, or that he's already thrown for more yards in one game than Tom Brady ever has. He cares that we lost. I can't say enough about that.

The run game looked like it needed some work, but a lot of that came from the fact that the Cards were throwing everybody at the line of scrimmage and daring Cam to beat them with his arm. As defenses adjust, I expect the running game to come back and Cam to drop back down to earth. But either way, the offense will function.

Apparently all we need is two tight ends and one receiver. Naanee looked awful, but LaFell stepped up big in a few key moments. Weapons out of the backfield look nice as well.

Passing defense actually looked decent. We had two busted coverages that resulted in long touchdowns, with 118 yards coming in two plays. Both of Arizona's passing touchdowns came on those plays. Props to the coordinators for coming up with an interesting nickel scheme where our free safety plays nickel and Jordan Pugh backs him up. That's a fix that should save us a lot of trouble. The blitzing has to get better though. If there's weak coverage behind it for the rest of the season, those big plays are going to kill us.

Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy looked like starting defensive ends. They got pressure by themselves, and that's a young group that should be together for a long, long time. Not surprisingly, the run defense looks shaky. Season ending injuries to Ron Edwards and Jon Beason are going to be big.

Yeah, Beason ruptured his Achilles and is out for the year. He tried to come back early (because apparently he learned nothing from Thomas Davis.) Sigh. The linebackers looked great. Davis looks like a monster, Anderson is being a beast, and it's really disheartening to see Beason go down and rob us of our strength again. On the other hand, Dan Connor is as good a backup as there is. He'll be okay, but the dropoff from Pro Bowler to mediocre is going to hurt our defense.

Bottom line: The Panthers will lose a lot of games this year, unless the South really is as weak as it looks right now and they pick up some wins there. The offense should function well, and the defense will need some work. I expect a high draft pick that will result in a wide receiver, defensive tackle, or cornerback, although it's obviously too early to look at.

TLDR: Offense should do well, defense will struggle, Beason out for the year. Approve of the Johnson signing and the Newton draft choice. Injuries suck. We'll lose a lot. I'll still be pretty happy.

Edited by jungleking

WR is a huge need.Naanee sucks. I'm not sure I like any WRs in this class in terms of being an elite WR if we pick in the top 10. I'd rather go with a CB or trade down.Janoris Jenkins would be amazing to get if we manage to get him in round 2 or 3.

Edited by Panthers1Fan

I'm curious how the Packers defense will play us next week.

Hopefully, they use a balanced attack, to stop the run and pass. I think that way, we can at least get our run game going. With a potent run game, there's hope against them, however futile. There is no way we can win, if they decide to over commit to stopping the run, even if Newton has another 400+ yard, 3 TD day. Brees and the Saints proved last week, you can't win in a shootout against Rodgers and the Packers.

Only way to really beat the Packers is slowing down the tempo of the game with extremely long series that take several minutes off the clock in each setting. Getting Rodgers and company out of sync.

Edited by Pox

WR is a huge need.Naanee sucks. I'm not sure I like any WRs in this class in terms of being an elite WR if we pick in the top 10. I'd rather go with a CB or trade down.Janoris Jenkins would be amazing to get if we manage to get him in round 2 or 3.

You don't like Blackmon or Jeffery? Blackmon's about as safe a pick as there's been, and Jeffery is as much a physical freak as Julio Jones, only he actually catches the ball. I'd be thrilled to see either one playing with Newton. One of those followed by a corner would be great. Hopefully Edwards can come back next year or we can find a decent replacement.

Great to have Panthers fans back JK.

It's nice to have something to talk about. The offseason sucked and college is way more interesting than trying to predict how everything's going to go.

I'm curious how the Packers defense will play us next week.

Hopefully, they use a balanced attack, to stop the run and pass. I think that way, we can at least get our run game going. With a potent run game, there's hope against them, however futile. There is no way we can win, if they decide to over commit to stopping the run, even if Newton has another 400+ yard, 3 TD day. Brees and the Saints proved last week, you can't win in a shootout against Rodgers and the Packers.

Only way to really beat the Packers is slowing down the tempo of the game with extremely long series that take several minutes off the clock in each setting. Getting Rodgers and company out of sync.

Nope, and I expect a few more interceptions out of him in this game. Unlike the Cards, the Packers have a secondary that can stand up to the pressure that their blitzing causes. Their defense has been top five ever since Capers got there, and I expect them to destroy our offense. Oh well. Growing pains happen.

Newton may be more highly valued than Andrew Luck right now. Strange. Although, I expect his production to taper off for a few reasons. First off, five quarterbacks are currently on pace to break Dan Marino's single-season passing yard record. Newton is one of them. There is no way that the league-wide pass defense remains this poor for an entire season. None. The defenses will come together, the reactions will get a little smoother, and Newton will find holes a little harder to come by. Also, defenses will adjust soon. No more selling out to stop Newton's running.

Hopefully this will fix our biggest weakness, which is somehow our running game. The coaches haven't worked very hard to establish it, but they haven't had reason for optimism either. The backs look like they can't find holes. Admittedly, the Packers D is amazing, and the Cards were bringing constant run blitzes, so I expect double trouble back in action soon.

Thomas Davis' career ending injury is a big blow. The run defense is going to falter.

That unit actually looked good against the Packers though. The defense performed admirably, despite the busted coverage that resulted in the Jennings touchdown, which is evidence of the trend I referenced in the first paragraph. Johnson looks like he's worth the money, and Hardy is definitely a starting end. The tackles look pretty solid sometimes too, although with nobody behind them now, I'm sure they will be exposed soon.

Cornerback, wide receiver, and defensive tackle are the big holes now. We might have to add linebacker to that list soon, unless Beason shifts outside permanently to accommodate Dan Connor.

If we fail to beat Jacksonville, the world will surely end.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

i jus got done talking smack in another thread, but im gonna be honest. i fear the panthers. its only a matter of time before cam starts wiinning and when he does i'll give him credit for it. unlike a certain panther fan here that bashes matt ryan every chance he gets

That's simply because Ryan is the 4th best quarterback in the NFC South now that Cam's here. Get use to it, kid! You all are STUCK with him! :lol: :lol:

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

One thing at a time. Look at how we did it. 1st season we went out and got Josh, 2nd year we got Williams & Benn. You all will probably be the #1 destination for free agent wr's come February and you have the draft to look forward to. It's pretty obvious you're on the right track. Just be thankful you aren't going about things the way the Falcons did.

One thing at a time. Look at how we did it. 1st season we went out and got Josh, 2nd year we got Williams & Benn. You all will probably be the #1 destination for free agent wr's come February and you have the draft to look forward to. It's pretty obvious you're on the right track. Just be thankful you aren't going about things the way the Falcons did.

FA receivers normally aren't a big deal. The connection with the quarterback and the scheme is too individual. Most good receivers are drafted into a system and stay there. The only guys to change teams and do really well individually are Welker, Holmes, and Marshall. Am I wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

The panthers just can't get a break (no pun intended) at LB. Gaither will be out 2-4 weeks with a MCL sprain.

Yep. I don't even know who the replacement will be now. Our third, fourth, and sixth linebackers will be playing together behind two rookie defensive tackles. This should be fun.