Falcons Mike Smith needs to admit it - Falcons O-Line has been awful in pass protection for last 3 yrs

g-dawg

Statistics say that Falcons are a good pass-blocking team due to the lack of sacks given up. Statistics lie.

Of course the Falcons gave up a lot of sacks yesterday against Chicago but this topic has nothing to do with just one game. I submit to you that the reason the Falcons have not given up many sacks in the Matt Ryan regime is simply Matt is superior at getting rid of the ball and throwing the ball away.

As a matter of fact, Matt has just been conditioned that the ball has to come out in under 3 seconds - he simply does not have the time. When I watch Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and even another dozen other QBs in the NFL - most of the time when they drop back to pass they have time to look at 2-3 options before they have to look at the checkdown. Matt has so little time that he has to throw to the checkdown about 1/2 the time without even looking down the field.

Lies, Dayum Lies and Statistics - Falcons pass-blocking is PUTRID. Sam Baker is hot garbage. The only real effective pass blocker on the team right now is Tyson Clabo. Something has gotta give. This is not just the chicago game and it is not just Joe Hawley or Garrett Reynolds. This is a systemic problem

Somebody's gotta say it - wish the Falcons coaches would acknowledge. Matt Ryan can never throw the ball down the field if he cannot sit in the pocket for 3-4 seconds - Falcons o-line is not close to giving him that kind of time. Just watch tonight and see how much time Brady has to throw and then compare that to Ryan. Obviously Matt Ryan cannot and will not complain publicly about the lack of O-Line play - but the Falcons HC needs to call out the line consistently and affect change.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now why would you say something so foolish..

I kid, I agree 100% half the time I saw Hawley blocking nobody.. I really don't know how that happens, he had to turn around half the time just to figure out that his guy was running free over and over again, it was pretty sad. This needs to be fixed, mcclure can't get back soon enough

Yep...........Tandy has showed us over and over how quik he has to get it out, we could be in deep deep sheet right now ....... we have band aided the O-line for awhile now, and it is really catching up to us .......I wish we would have kept Dahl instead of Blalock ......

i still have not received a legit answer on why we gave Blalock $6mil/yr - he sucked yesterday as well.......its inconceivable to me how bad Falcons have been and continue to be in pass-blocking.

Statistics say that Falcons are a good pass-blocking team due to the lack of sacks given up. Statistics lie.

Of course the Falcons gave up a lot of sacks yesterday against Chicago but this topic has nothing to do with just one game. I submit to you that the reason the Falcons have not given up many sacks in the Matt Ryan regime is simply Matt is superior at getting rid of the ball and throwing the ball away.

As a matter of fact, Matt has just been conditioned that the ball has to come out in under 3 seconds - he simply does not have the time. When I watch Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and even another dozen other QBs in the NFL - most of the time when they drop back to pass they have time to look at 2-3 options before they have to look at the checkdown. Matt has so little time that he has to throw to the checkdown about 1/2 the time without even looking down the field.

Lies, Dayum Lies and Statistics - Falcons pass-blocking is PUTRID. Sam Baker is hot garbage. The only real effective pass blocker on the team right now is Tyson Clabo. Something has gotta give. This is not just the chicago game and it is not just Joe Hawley or Garrett Reynolds. This is a systemic problem

Somebody's gotta say it - wish the Falcons coaches would acknowledge. Matt Ryan can never throw the ball down the field if he cannot sit in the pocket for 3-4 seconds - Falcons o-line is not close to giving him that kind of time. Just watch tonight and see how much time Brady has to throw and then compare that to Ryan. Obviously Matt Ryan cannot and will not complain publicly about the lack of O-Line play - but the Falcons HC needs to call out the line consistently and affect change.

Where's your proof to back up your claims? All is see is nothing but uneducated opinions.

Where's your proof to back up your claims? All is see is nothing but uneducated opinions.

i watch the games cali......obviously you don't....you cannot prove the lack of time unless you go back to all 49 regular season games over last 3yrs and put a stopwatch on it - i'm not some wannabe flamethrower on these boards and have been on here for 4+ years consistently - will put my reputation on the line for this claim.

Like I have consistently said, you cannot look at the sack numbers themselves and say the o-line is bad at pass blocking - because sack numbers would seem to indicate otherwise.

There is a REASON why Falcons have a crappy YPA and its not mostly Matt Ryan's fault. He does not have a super-strong arm but he's got a live arm and can throw the ball with authority 30-40yds downfield - he just never has the time.

If you want to be proved this, just watch old games and new games going foward - then compare to other games you watch - it won't take you long to realize I'm right - you can thank me later, cali-fan ;)

Blalock is pretty good as well, but I will agree that he and Clabo are the only decent pass blockers on this team.

Baker looked TERRIBLE on Sunday, and I don't even want to get started on Hawley. Maybe the coaches will start Svitek this weekend at LT instead? If not, Babin and Cole are gonna have a field day.

agreed......there needs to be a shake-up. I hope McClure can play as well. How could Svitek be worse than Baker? I don't think its possible.

i watch the games cali......obviously you don't....you cannot prove the lack of time unless you go back to all 49 regular season games over last 3yrs and put a stopwatch on it - i'm not some wannabe flamethrower on these boards and have been on here for 4+ years consistently - will put my reputation on the line for this claim.

Like I have consistently said, you cannot look at the sack numbers themselves and say the o-line is bad at pass blocking - because sack numbers would seem to indicate otherwise.

There is a REASON why Falcons have a crappy YPA and its not mostly Matt Ryan's fault. He does not have a super-strong arm but he's got a live arm and can throw the ball with authority 30-40yds downfield - he just never has the time.

If you want to be proved this, just watch old games and new games going foward - then compare to other games you watch - it won't take you long to realize I'm right - you can thank me later, cali-fan ;)

I want people who make crazy claims like this to provide proof. If you're going to say that, without a doubt, the offensive line is horrible in pass protection, I want to see the proof which made you come to your conclusion. I watch every game and have watched every game since 1990. I've been recording them since DVR's were invented and I've been a Sunday Ticket subscriber since it became available. I've also been a member of these boards for 12 years and was at the first ever board get together. I've played football for 7 years out of the 36 years I've been alive.

Other than yesterdays game, our offensive line has been solid. Someone mentioned that Tandy has a thread dedicated to our O-line. I'd love to read that because Tandy actually brings it. She watches the game and takes time to post real data to back up what she is talking about.

As a former QB here is my take:

1. We have a below average OL and rarely if ever does a team--at any level--seriously contend for a championship with this shortcoming.
  2. Watching Matt Ryan against both Green Bay and Chicago, g-dawg is spot on. Matt Ryan has a brief moment in his rapidly collapsing pocket to look at only one receiver that has traveled no more than 15-20 yards in about 1.5 - 2 seconds. Ryan then has just a fraction of a second to either make the throw to the one receiver that may or may not be open before checking down. Ryan has not the luxury of another 1-2 seconds that other QB's enjoy to scan their 2nd and 3rd down field receiver options.
  3. I can't let Ryan completely off the hook either. He does appear at times to rush the ball to his check-down receiver, but this is most typical of a QB that has little faith in his OL...#2 above explains why.

Folks, I kid you not, this is a serious issue for the Falcons that both the Green Bay and Chicago--not coincidentally two of the best five defenses in the NFL along with the Steelers, Ravens and Jets--exploited with alarming ease the past two games.

As I have said repeatedly, we have been adding the decorations to the house when we should have been erecting a firm foundation--the bigs on the OL and DL. I can tell you first hand that as a QB, when I had time and confidence in my OL playing QB was a whole lot of fun; however, when you don't...?

Watch how much fun Rodgers, Brady and Brees have playing QB because of one great benefit...time! And extra second or two makes all the difference in the world!

I want people who make crazy claims like this to provide proof. If you're going to say that, without a doubt, the offensive line is horrible in pass protection, I want to see the proof which made you come to your conclusion. I watch every game and have watched every game since 1990. I've been recording them since DVR's were invented and I've been a Sunday Ticket subscriber since it became available. I've also been a member of these boards for 12 years and was at the first ever board get together. I've played football for 7 years out of the 36 years I've been alive.

Other than yesterdays game, our offensive line has been solid. Someone mentioned that Tandy has a thread dedicated to our O-line. I'd love to read that because Tandy actually brings it. She watches the game and takes time to post real data to back up what she is talking about.

Open your fkng eyes and watch the game dipstick, there is nothing but truth in everything he said, if you are too dense to see it yourself then no one here can explain it to you, ..GEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ.......... :wacko:

As a former QB here is my take:

1. We have a below average OL and rarely if ever does a team--at any level--seriously contend for a championship with this shortcoming.
  2. Watching Matt Ryan against both Green Bay and Chicago, g-dawg is spot on. Matt Ryan has a brief moment in his rapidly collapsing pocket to look at only one receiver that has traveled no more than 15-20 yards in about 1.5 - 2 seconds. Ryan then has just a fraction of a second to either make the throw to the one receiver that may or may not be open before checking down. Ryan has not the luxury of another 1-2 seconds that other QB's enjoy to scan their 2nd and 3rd down field receiver options.
  3. I can't let Ryan completely off the hook either. He does appear at times to rush the ball to his check-down receiver, but this is most typical of a QB that has little faith in his OL...#2 above explains why.

Folks, I kid you not, this is a serious issue for the Falcons that both the Green Bay and Chicago--not coincidentally two of the best five defenses in the NFL along with the Steelers, Ravens and Jets--exploited with alarming ease the past two games.

As I have said repeatedly, we have been adding the decorations to the house when we should have been erecting a firm foundation--the bigs on the OL and DL. I can tell you first hand that as a QB, when I had time and confidence in my OL playing QB was a whole lot of fun; however, when you don't...?

Watch how much fun Rodgers, Brady and Brees have playing QB because of one great benefit...time! And extra second or two makes all the difference in the world!

But thats where the OC has to make adjustments to slow down the rush. Do things to confuse the D. We do nothing and thats the problem I have. Coaches make adjustments to teams that play a certain way and we cannot adjust on the fly. We just run the same type of O and that has always been the problem..

Ok, well I'm married w/ three kids so I have time to watch the games but not so much time to go back and put stop watches on every play and rewind them - all to amuse you - sorry.

apparently Tandy (another excellent member on our boards) has some info. regarding Matt's lack of time to throw and some research to back it up - hopefully Tandy can see this and post on it later - I would love to see the data myself to back up what i know to be true already just by watching the games.

Ok, well I'm married w/ three kids so I have time to watch the games but not so much time to go back and put stop watches on every play and rewind them - all to amuse you - sorry.

apparently Tandy (another excellent member on our boards) has some info. regarding Matt's lack of time to throw and some research to back it up - hopefully Tandy can see this and post on it later - I would love to see the data myself to back up what i know to be true already just by watching the games.

This guy is either blind or dumb, or both ............ :rolleyes:

But thats where the OC has to make adjustments to slow down the rush. Do things to confuse the D. We do nothing and thats the problem I have. Coaches make adjustments to teams that play a certain way and we cannot adjust on the fly. We just run the same type of O and that has always been the problem..

I don't disagree...

I have never been overly impressed with Mike Mularkey. Worse, I think BVG is possibly the worst DC in the NFL.

It is not a coincidence that a 13-3 first seeds OC wasn't seriously considered for one of the many HC openings this off season....and BVG wasn't considered by anyone! That should tell you right their the respect these two do not have around the NFL.

But you're confident enough to make the claim that this o-line is one of the worst in the NFL? Got it.

If your 36yrs old and you SAY you watch Falcons all the time and you don't see the lack of pass protection for Matty Ice over the last 3 years - then you are _________. I will let others fill in the blank.

I'm glad Tandy did some research on that will hopefully satisfy you. I don't need the research - my brain can process what my eyes see.