4 man rush destroyed Falcons O-Line (5 sacks and 14 hurries)

coachx

No team can win when you allow a 4 man rush to cause 5 sacks and 14 QB hurries. Ryan is as good as they come when it comes to getting rid of the ball quickly. I see no blame for holding a ball too long b/c that simply was not the case. Ryan did not even have 3 seconds to find a reciever for the majority of the game.

You can't throw deep without protection. You can't throw deep on 8 men in coverage very effectively either. The Bears played 2 safeties the majority of the game.

I'm not sure if the problem was a lack of recognizing fake blitzs (Bearls LBs were faking bliting up the middle all day) or just a lack of blocking all together. Baker actually did an admirable job on Peppers considering he is the best DE in the game but the interior pass protection that was plain awful.

Grimes tipped two balls that were easy intercetions by Decoude. One of them was in the endzone.Flacons have to capitalize on those oppurtunities.

The Falcons will play better but the O-Line is a major cause for concern. That is where the Falcons issues start and end.

Edited by coachx

this is obviously the biggest CHINK in Falcons armor. I have another post on this already regarding Falcons O-Line. This is not a one game thing either - its systemic - Matt Ryan has never been much of a pocket passer because he never has the time to look at downfield options which take an extra second or two to develop - by the time it takes a downfield pass to develop - Matt would be flat on his back.

Our offensive line has been the rock the past few years. Matty has been one of the least sacked QBs the past few years. Stop crying down the team fellas, we WILL see improvement next game. How people seem to have short term memory....wow!

again, this is something someone would say who just reads the boxscores and cites statistics. Matt Ryan has never had consistent time in the pocket to throw the ball - thus the "dink-n-dunk" offense - which I do not fault Matt Ryan for. Just because Matty Ice is GREAT at throwing the ball away and getting rid of it fast to avoid sacks does not mean that the O-Line deserves credit. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Blame the lack of downfield passing on the O-Line, plain and simple.

I guarantee if you gave this offense AS IS to say a Sean Payton or a Gary Kubiak, the offense would be high powered. those guys design a game plan that attack defenses, they don't let the defense dictate what they do. I'd rather have an OC that knows how to use the talent he has than one that's always saying 'well the packages were in there we just couldn't execute em'

if Matt has only 2 seconds to throw, make em count, design quick pass routes to get the ball out of his hands and force defenses to lay off the rush. mistakes forced us to play one dimensional so all Chicago had to do was pin their ears back and get after it.

I had to go to a funeral mid way through the third quarter but from what I saw

Reynolds looks better than Dahl. The commentators were giving him grief because

he is new but I was watching him pretty close and he looked fine to me. Hawley is

a temp and may not be NFL calibre from what I have seen.

I do agree that the OL was a problem but a few things to consider:

1. Hawley and Reynolds, the two sore spots, were brand new and taken advantage of.

2. I think Baker did about as good a job you can do against Peppers. Peppers wasn't that big of a factor until we got down by 10+ and he could pin his ears back and not worry about a possible screen/draw/misdirection play.

3.Ryan did have time to throw it deep as there were numerous times where he almost threw it deep but then reclutched and dumped it off. So yes the OLine held up to give him time, he was just scared to throw it.

4. We won't be facing many DLines like the Bear's. They are big and imposing. The Eagles have two good edge rushers but not the presence up the middle, where we had the problems. Also, the Bears have perfected the Cover 2 like no other team in the league. Couple that with the fact that we got killed in the field position aspect of the game and we were basically guaranteeing them 3 points.

Reynolds is way better than Dahl. you think you miss Dahl cause of knee jerk reaction to the game yesterday. matter of fact I would even try Reynolds out at LT

I miss Dahl for the same reson the Falcons miss Dahl

He knows how to pass protect, he's mean as ****, and he plays hard and to the whistle every down

I hope we see Mike Johnson take over for Reynolds sooner rather than later. I always wondered why we never saw Garrett at RT even in the PS, now I know it is because he cannot move laterally at all. He has no business at OT and not even at OG either IMO. I think he will be replaced on the roster next year by Andrew Jackson. If people start talking to Jackson about signing him off our PS we need to go ahead and make that switch now.

I guarantee if you gave this offense AS IS to say a Sean Payton or a Gary Kubiak, the offense would be high powered. those guys design a game plan that attack defenses, they don't let the defense dictate what they do. I'd rather have an OC that knows how to use the talent he has than one that's always saying 'well the packages were in there we just couldn't execute em'

if Matt has only 2 seconds to throw, make em count, design quick pass routes to get the ball out of his hands and force defenses to lay off the rush. mistakes forced us to play one dimensional so all Chicago had to do was pin their ears back and get after it.

Well said! I couldn't agree more. What really gets me the most with the play calling is Mike Mularkey will try a play call and it will get stuffed, well you know what's going to happen next - he's going to try that same play call over and over even though it hasn't worked multiple times. I realize he's doing that because the defense is showing them a different look, but after the play has been stuffed 5-10 times he should know better and try something else, I believe the defenses are showing him a different look to coax him into calling that same play again because he has a history of doing that and they know it. Falcons need multiple game plans and not telegraph what they are going to do with the play calling. JMO

I miss Dahl for the same reson the Falcons miss Dahl He knows how to pass protect, he's mean as ****, and he plays hard and to the whistle every down

What? Harvey was never known for his pass blocking ability...it was always his weakness. However, he was a mean and nasty dude that made up for it with toughness and good run blocking ability.

Please stop overrating Dahl.

Reynolds is way better than Dahl. you think you miss Dahl cause of knee jerk reaction to the game yesterday. matter of fact I would even try Reynolds out at LT

No, he is not. That's no knee jerk reaction. It's not even close at this point.

I'm not saying that Reynolds wont get better, but he needs to do it in a hurry.