Rev's thoughts from the Bears game

Rev_Hal

Well, the Falcons picked up right where they left off. They had a horrible game to end the season last year, and a horrible game to start the new season. Lots of things to be upset about. I’m not even sure where to start.

1. Our pass defense is just horrible. We made a B- QB look like Joe Montana. What killed me was the Bear’s receivers were WIDE OPEN all day. There was no one within 3-4 yards of each Bear’s receiver most of the day. I don’t’ know if it was the scheme, the coaching, the horrible play, or all 3. But it seriously looked like an average college game on defense, and Cutler shredded us like Cojack cheese.

2. If anyone did their jobs on defense, it was the DL. Five sacks, and they stuffed the run for 3 quarters. They got tired at the end, but when 4 guys are carrying another 7 people on their backs, they will run out of gas.

3. Sean Weatherspoon needs to grow up fast. If he is going to be a hot dog, which I like, the boy needs to learn how to tackle. Yesterday, the ONLY word I could think of to describe his tackling efforts was LAZY. He has all the skills needed to be elite in this league, but he needs to mature in a hurry. If I were Smith, I would have benched him for Peterson.

4. What happened to the so called “explosive” offense? The only thing that was exploding was my head when we threw 3 yard passes on 3rd and 9. WHY CAN’T WE THROW THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD???? It’s not that we CAN’T, it’s that we WON’T!!!! The Bears never had to worry about the deep pass because THEY KNEW IT WAS NEVER COMING. I swear, the 13 yard pass that Ryan threw in the 4th quarter looked like a BOMB. Pathetic.

5. I never thought I would get on my knees and pray for McClure to be back in the lineup. Too much pressure was coming up the middle. Ugly.

6. Ryan, by his own admission, is a slow starter. Funny thing is he got off to a great start, and then threw the pick. It looked like his confidence never recovered, and it was downhill from there.

7. Will someone else please rail on the play calling in this thread. I’m just too sick about it do rant.

8. If you are looking for bright spots. Sidbury hit Cutler so hard that his kidney went flying out his butt. One of the best hits of the weekend. If anyone ever seriously wanted to question Cutler about his toughness, that answered it for me.

9. The scariest part of the day is something that is becoming a long term problem that has been a problem for a while. The Falcons played with no heart at all. No killer instinct, no sense of urgency, and no fire at all. I can guarantee that there is not a single NFL team that is afraid of the Atlanta Falcons. We looked like minimum wage McDonald’s employees just going through the motions. That has to change, and it has to come from the top. Smitty needs to do what he has not done in the past 3 years – get some fire in these guys bellies. And it needs to happen fast.

10. I know that this was 1 game, and we have 15 more before the playoffs start. But if the Falcons continue to play like we did on Sunday, we are looking at a 4-12 season. Now, I have faith that we CAN turn it around quickly, but Smith put a team on the field Sunday that was not prepared to play. Mentally or physically, the team was not prepared to play. We need better play, better preparation, and better coaching.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You nailed it Rev.....In the last 2 games that mattered the Falcons have been outscored 78-33........and it wasn't that close. They don't deserve to be mentioned among the NFL elite teams right now....not even close.

If they crap the bed on national television against the Reid and Vick-led Eagles next Sunday night then it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were looking at an 8-8, 7-9 type season....Then, everything and everyone associated with this team would have to be reevaluated.

It's a "what have you done for me lately?" kind of league....and what the Falcons have done lately has been pathetic.

1. agree

2. agree

3. Spoon played better than people think... him and lofton were at the ball carrier and stopped them for loss several times... only thing was the missed tackle and that is very correctable in practice.

4.i don't know if you noticed, but the commentators actually said that we played them the right way. because it is hard to be explosive down the field against the bears defense. and if not for the turnovers, our offense played just as well as theirs.

and Bears are used to defending explosive offenses... they faced Green bay three times last season holding them between 14-17 points.

they said that next week the offense will probably play more along the line that we expected.

5. agree

6. he was pretty acurate except for the interception, and the fumble was just stupid... however with the amount of time the oline gave him what can you expect... he did keep a 66% completion though.

7. think BVG was actually okay for the most part... if those two interceptions had happened by decoud, things would have looked different, and we killed their run game completely... only weakpoint is secondary... don't know what happened with WillyMo and D-rob today. and of course Chris Owens but that surprises no one. hope Hayden will be ready soon.

8. agree

9. i'm not sure i can agree with you on this

10. agree, we can't keep playing like this, and i do not think we will.

You nailed it Rev.....In the last 2 games that mattered the Falcons have been outscored 78-33........and it wasn't that close. They don't deserve to be mentioned among the NFL elite teams right now....not even close.

If they crap the bed on national television against the Reid and Vick-led Eagles next Sunday night then it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were looking at an 8-8, 7-9 type season....Then, everything and everyone associated with this team would have to be reevaluated.

It's a "what have you done for me lately?" kind of league....and what the Falcons have done lately has been pathetic.

And I am so tired of hearing Smith say "we'll fix it." When will this team learn to anticipate and be proactive versus always having to react and "fix" a disastrous effort and performance?

I saw this coming in the 0-4 preseason...why can't their coaches?

And I am so tired of hearing Smith say "we'll fix it." When will this team learn to anticipate and be proactive versus always having to react and "fix" a disastrous effort and performance?

I saw this coming in the 0-4 preseason...why can't their coaches?

The preseason record did not bother me. Our starters were competitive most of the time in those games. After the opening offensive drive, our day was over.

At this point, you have to start thinking the problem with the secondary has to be scheme. If you're playing zone and receivers run to a spot, sit down and catch the ball for 20+ yards over and over again you'd think VanGorder would play some man coverage. Its really hard to watch the front 4 work to get to the qb, just miss him and then the chains move. If they don 't get a better scheme it may be a long Sunday night against the Eagles.

It was one of the most lackluster performances i have seen from the falcons since ive been watching them with a few exceptions like Abe and JJ, Whilst watching the game on sunday our O-line cudnt keep Matty in the pocket long enough and this is what kept creating the little dump off passes, on most plays where matty was pressured it was only by the bears D-line, the secondary and linebackers then only had to play cover 2 and keep the ball infront.

I agree we need McClure back quickly but is reynolds the answer at RG. I did ike the way our D-line played especially Abe, kroy and sidbury whos hit on cutler was B-E-A-utiful. Hopefully the D-line will continue this trend and the rest of the team will catch up by next sunday.

Pretty much nailed it...

I know people dont like to mention it here, but imho, Ryan is at fault just as much as the OL for not going long. Its like he is to scared to throw into coverage in case he makes a mistake. For this team to really deliver on offense, he needs to start taking shots down field!

This offense isnt explosive. Its a scared, predictable dink and dunk offense...

At this point, you have to start thinking the problem with the secondary has to be scheme. If you're playing zone and receivers run to a spot, sit down and catch the ball for 20+ yards over and over again you'd think VanGorder would play some man coverage. Its really hard to watch the front 4 work to get to the qb, just miss him and then the chains move. If they don 't get a better scheme it may be a long Sunday night against the Eagles.

Oh I've been thinking it was the scheme for a while now.

And based on how we've been completely out-schemed by the Eagles I don't have a good feeling about the next game.

To be perfectly honest I'm mentally preparing myself for a bad night. I really hope I'm going to be wrong but I don't have faith in our defensive coaching staff.

Agreed, Sun Tzu 7. I don't understand why a defensive scheme can't be flexible based on your opponents strenghts. Since Cutler was moving around just long enough to let his receiver find the open spot in the zone why couldn't we play more man-to-man and let our safety's help over the top? Confused and highly frustrated.

Agreed, Sun Tzu 7. I don't understand why a defensive scheme can't be flexible based on your opponents strenghts. Since Cutler was moving around just long enough to let his receiver find the open spot in the zone why couldn't we play more man-to-man and let our safety's help over the top? Confused and highly frustrated.

I've never been able to figure us out when it comes to the defense.

It's like BVG gets a bonus based on the number of times we use the 3-3-5 on 3rd down regardless of the outcome.... It's like they're saying "This hasn't worked the last 20 times we've used it.... but I've got a feeling about this time."

The only thing that makes sense is that the defensive staff has zero confidence in our ability to play man coverage...

If we do this exact same crap against Philly the Dome is going to be nothing but Vick/Eagles fans by the 3rd quarter...

Maybe so. It was hard to tell on Sunday who had the blown coverage when no Falcon was within 5 miles of the reciever. The zone is too soft.

These are my thoughts and won't be sugar coated:

1) We play with no heart like a bunch of p*****s

2) Ryan is starting his season like Delhomme did two years ago. Granted Ryan has not thrown as many picks.

3) We should just trade our defense minus the DL with LSUs and call it a day.

4) After a loss, I am so f******g tired of hearing about "Hey, its ok. We will get them next time boys!!!"

5) Every other team in our division scored a touchdown yesterday. We should just start kicking the ball to our receivers.

Oh I've been thinking it was the scheme for a while now. And based on how we've been completely out-schemed by the Eagles 1) I don't have a good feeling about the next game. To be perfectly honest 2) I'm mentally preparing myself for a bad night. I really hope I'm going to be wrong but I don't have faith in our defensive coaching staff.

1) Me neither bud

2) Me too bud

Spot on REV great post !!! but unfortunately I need to add to your list.

11) Special teams who the ^%$@ gives up a draft pick for a scrub like Bosher he can't even kick it into the end zone. Could the freaking coaches not see this at camp.

12) Weems you went to the pro bowl you are better than this. Either catch the **** ball or waive for a fair catch. Field position killed us yesterday but it really didn't matter we couldn't even score on a two point conversion.

13) With the new kick off rule (it doesn't apply to us due to our kicker sucks) this is going to hurt us more on ST because Weems would always give our offense a short field, now starting at the 20 if it's a touch back or the 10 or 5 if Weems waves it off puts us in uncharted waters. if it's kicked deep in the end zone Weems has to bring it out and try to shorten the field.

14) I'm convinced this coaching staff has no clue on how to adapt to adversity during the game

<h3 class="r"></h3>

Edited by Xfactor

I think REV is the only one on these boards who can speak the truth about this team and not get negged. We played soft yesterday... I saw towards the end of last season, all preseason, and saw this L coming from a mile away... For a while now it seems this team just expects problems to fix themselves in the game.... And they aren't.

Hopefully something changes soon.......

Maybe so. It was hard to tell on Sunday who had the blown coverage when no Falcon was within 5 miles of the reciever. The zone is too soft.

Agreed. Every time I checked, our corners were lining up at least 10 yards off the wide outs. The way I see it, if zone is giving up 20+ yards consistently, why not try a little man. How could it get any worse? Besides, it is alleged that Robinson shines in man coverage.

Why not change things up to take advantage of the skills we have? I have seen too many Falcons coaches over the years try to force teams into schemes that did not suit them.

If it doesn't fit, you must adapt.

I agree with a lot that Rev stated. We lack any fire whatsoever. If we get down 10 plus points, chalk up an L because nobody steps up to make the plays to change the game. We had the Bears punting from their own endzone and didn't even call for a punt block. Ask the Jets how a punt block can change a game. We have no identity as a team. The Bears are known for good defense and punching at the ball. Both were on display yesterday. What are the Falcons known for?

Matt got shook after that INT. Period. Somebody told him to be careful with the ball and he took that as only throw to the wide open man. I would have rather the score have been 30-12 with him throwing 3 INTs than just 1. We weren't in any kind of attack mode. It was pitiful. Yes the Bears' D is stifling but seriously. No shot was taken. We were inside the 10 with 3 plays, and no pass was thrown in Tony's direction. HD and Jones weren't given plays to utilize their playmaking ability.

The defense performed admirably in my opinion. They held countless times to keep the game within reach. Yes the Bears had guys wide open at times but I chalk that up to route combinations. Look at some of the replays. Guys would have a man covered but then another route would come through their zone forcing them to make a decision. BVG should have switched to man. Grimes was shut down all day, DRob was lost in zone. Put him in a situation to succeed. They are too stubborn to adjust. They stick to their scheme and force the players to make it work instead of adjusting the scheme to what they have. Play man with Grimes off and DRob on. The DLine was getting there.

O and what happened to the no huddle offense? It beat the Ravens. It worked vs the Steelers. It worked early vs the Bears. Matt needs to grow a pair. Take over games like elite QBs do when their team needs a play. We don't have playmakers.

When we need a play, who is the player we can count on to make it? Look at the last few SB teams. Saints had Brees and Sharper. Colts had Peyton. Steelers had Harrison, Polamalu and Big Ben. Packers had Rodgers and Woodson. Falcons have... (*I didn't name WRs because the QB has to get them the ball)

Yes it was an off day but the Steelers went down swinging with 7 turnovers. We all know that's not happening again but the only way you get 7 TO's is by taking chances and trying to make a play to comeback. Nope. Not with Ryan or MM.

“The Process” Just Ain’t Getting It Done Mike

Do you think we may have hired the wrong coach & coaching staff?? This magical “process” Mike Smith keeps telling us about has worn out its welcome.

Choir boy players, a washed up Offensive Coordinator with a history of losing, a college football Defensive Coordinator who has never proven himself, and a GM who refuses to pick up talent in free agency just ain’t working.

Last year the Falcons overachieved w/ little injures and at best were about the 8th best team in the NFL…. Nice considering our franchise history. So we basically stay status quo with the same players & coordinators since last year & now are still at best from what I see going 0-5 in 2011…. About the 8th best team in the NFL.

The fans deserve better! A team that shows up to play each week… not only at Home Games.

Why is the world is Mike Smith NOT RUNNING the Defense instead of this college coach. He was supposed to be this master defensive mind. No offensive coordinator in the NFL fears our defense week after week… we are a bye week for them. Unless you have Peyton Manning as your QB. a strong defense is #1 for any championship team. Oh.. one that shows up week after week.. not every now & than.

Homer disclaimer: I’m a falcon fan from as far back as the 70’s, season ticket holder & just being real. I can only drink some much of the Koolaid from the water cooler.

Im not saying Ryan does not have his faults but I just think alot of our issues come from the OC and DC. I heard a report that Kolb was forced to push the ball down the field and really did not want to. He had one man routes running streaks. I dont think thats the only way you can generate big plays. ****, we dont run deep crossing routes, don't throw on first down. We are just an odd bunch offensively and very predictable. Teams know when we will pass or run and its hard pressed on our team.

Why not run everyone deep and run crossing routes so that they can come up, run deep posts, corner routes, anything of the sort. I just think we are not coached UP enough...

Spot on REV great post !!! but unfortunately I need to add to your list.

11) Special teams who the ^%$@ gives up a draft pick for a scrub like Bosher he can't even kick it into the end zone. Could the freaking coaches not see this at camp.

12) Weems you went to the pro bowl you are better than this. Either catch the **** ball or waive for a fair catch. Field position killed us yesterday but it really didn't matter we couldn't even score on a two point conversion.

13) With the new kick off rule (it doesn't apply to us due to our kicker sucks) this is going to hurt us more on ST because Weems would always give our offense a short field, now starting at the 20 if it's a touch back or the 10 or 5 if Weems waves it off puts us in uncharted waters. if it's kicked deep in the end zone Weems has to bring it out and try to shorten the field.

14) I'm convinced this coaching staff has no clue on how to adapt to adversity during the game

<h3 class="r"></h3>

15) WHY WAS SAM BAKER BEING LEFT TO BLOCK JULIUS PEPER 1-ON-1 THE ENTIRE FRICKING GAME?!?