Stop making excuses for Ryan

Matt Ryan @ Chicago Bears - 09/11/11

CMP 31 - ATT 47 - YDS 319 - CMP% 66.0 - AVG 6.79 - LNG 32 - TD 0 - INT 1 - RAT 76.5

Result - ATL 12 CHI 30

Aaron Rodgers @ Chicago Bears - 09/27/10

CMP 34 - ATT 45 - YDS 316 - CMP% 75.6 - AVG 7.02 - LNG 28 - TD 1 - INT 1 - RAT 92.5

Result - GB 17 CHI 20

Matt Ryan could definitely be better, but statistically his performance wasn't out of the ordinary for a quarterback facing the Bears.

and who was aaron rodgers throwing to during that game?..most surely not the self proclaimed new greatest show on turf...plus, rodgers had absolutely no running game whatsoever as a backup plan, so the bears KNEW he would throw on most plays, and yet his stats were still better

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and who was aaron rodgers throwing to during that game?..most surely not the self proclaimed new greatest show on turf...plus, rodgers had absolutely no running game whatsoever as a backup plan, so the bears KNEW he would throw on most plays, and yet his stats were still better

He was throwing to what most analysts say is one of the best receiving corps in the league...

I keep hearing the oling was hirrible. They didnt like the patriots line but until ryan threw the pick ended up with 2 field goals and was down by about 17 they looked **** good considering the conditions. Dont know what it is that makes u people wanna keep defending mediocrity but its sad.

Or like somebody mentioned GONZO was coming open i ryan would have stood still. Julio also looked to be open on that play. On the play ryan fumbled douglas was wide open.

All of the elite QBs face pressure its how you deal with it. Ryan has had the habit of bailing on his pocket since last year.

It just seems like he has no idea what a side step is. Number two its not like we didnt know we had 2 rookies starting so pressure was guarunteed this game. He has to do a better job at reading the field all his audibles seem to be for quick slant or something in the flat.

Ask anybody what play beats the Cover 2 and they will tell u the seams. I dont remember any seam routes. But like i said its not him MM is just as bad. IMO im tired o them both.

Only in ATL could a dude who drops 28 tds and 3700 yds last year catch this kind of heck after one game. I'm so tired of hearing how "weak" his arm is, he can make all the NFL throws and he has proven it... yeah he can't throw the ball 70 yards off a knee like Kyle Boller... who has been tearing up the NFL for years... oh wait...

The last two QBs we have seen Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers have absolutely SICK arms so it's pretty unfair to compare their arm strength to Matt's since their aren't many (if any) guys in the league who can touch them either. Look at Matt Shaub in Houston, he has less "zip" than Ryan and he consistently ranks near the top of the league in Passing Yardage and TDs. I think the big difference is in the playcalling. Both offensively and defensively I never feel consistently confident that coaches are putting guys in positions to make plays... I could call a more diverse offense in Tecmo Bowl than the one Mularky continues to put out, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of accountability from the higher ups. This team has WAY too much talent to have the game dictated to them like that, and MM needs to get that figured out if the ATL has any hopes of going places this year.

MOST qb's only need the receiver to be open for a second for them to get the ball in there...

thank you. did ya'll see Rodgers and Brees back shoulder throws? Anticipation. throwing to a spot. its NFL stuff.

I've never and do not ? ryans arm strength. I've seen bullets enough. I ? his vision composure under fire to find the open receiver.

Ya'll letting the OL off a lot of slack IMO.. From my observation Ryan had little or no time to comprehend the backfield, however it seems only a little pressure is necessary to get Ryan out of his comfort zone to get him to force throws or take a sack for a loss, there are a few times he could have hailed it down the field but he chose to dump it off resulting in a loss or short gain.

Ya'll letting the OL off a lot of slack IMO.. From my observation Ryan had little or no time to comprehend the backfield, however it seems only a little pressure is necessary to get Ryan out of his comfort zone to get him to force throws or take a sack for a loss, there are a few times he could have hailed it down the field but he chose to dump it off resulting in a loss or short gain.

I dont know yall. I have to agree with the OP on this one(minus his reference to Vick, Im leaving him out of this).

We need to stop reserving harsh criticism for others and not Ryan. The Atlanta Falcons are not and have not been the only ones with a suspect O-line. Ben had one of THE worst lines in the league at one point and he still managed to help and will his team to a win. I am not comparing QBs but I am using acutal examples to help support the OPs opinion. Ryan really disappointed me today.

Everyone hates on Ryan, but he is tied with just one only QB in history in wins their first 3 years.....DAN MARINO. His success has spoiled us into thinking that winning is a rite of passage when we still have a year or two until we are beast. He looked downfield, but Chicago prides itself on not giving up the big play get over it that is their motto/creed while ours is bend not break. Every team has a different philosophy depending on their teams skill set give it time.

Because when he starts to light it up with JJ and Roddy people will be all over him and be saying see I told you so.

I have been a big believer in Ryan, but even when he had time today he continually checked down underneath, and seems to have little ability to avoid the rush. I am concerned that while he has the brains and heart, he may not have the athletic ability to avoid the rush and make the throws. Vick, Rodgers, Brees, and the elites have the ability to make plays. I really want to see that with Ryan, but it hasn't been there.

Although, I am also old enough to remember feeling the same way about Bartkowski when he had no protection. QB is not our problem folks.

Matt Ryan @ Chicago Bears - 09/11/11

CMP 31 - ATT 47 - YDS 319 - CMP% 66.0 - AVG 6.79 - LNG 32 - TD 0 - INT 1 - RAT 76.5

Result - ATL 12 CHI 30

Aaron Rodgers @ Chicago Bears - 09/27/10

CMP 34 - ATT 45 - YDS 316 - CMP% 75.6 - AVG 7.02 - LNG 28 - TD 1 - INT 1 - RAT 92.5

Result - GB 17 CHI 20

Matt Ryan could definitely be better, but statistically his performance wasn't out of the ordinary for a quarterback facing the Bears.

Rodgers didn't have an NFL caliber RB in that matchup. The Bears played nothing but pass defense in that game. If the Bears played like they did that day Turner would have had a zillion yards on the ground today. Rodgers was unquestionably better in that game. The INT was on a Hail Mary right before halftime. That QB Rating woudl have been much higher without that meaningless INT. The Packers lost that game because they committed 18 penalties, not because Rodgers was ineffective. Matt Ryan committed two turnovers that led to Bears points. Some of you people need to stop looking at things in a vaccum. Nobody had to defend against Green Bay's ground game last year for like 3/4 of the season. On Thursday you saw what that offense can do when it actually has a running game that needs to be respected.

The key figure is that the Falcons didn't score an offensive TD today. Rodgers always puts TDs on the board against Chicago. The Bears defense is tought but it isn't THAT tough. Not scoring a TD is unacceptable.

He was throwing to what most analysts say is one of the best receiving corps in the league...

But he actually throws it to the receivers. He doesn't just check down every time. The Bears knew that the Packers had no option but to run the ball 75% of the time. Seriously, if the Bears played the Falcons today like they did Rodgers that day, Michael Turner would have had an epic game on the ground today. The point still remains. Rodgers completion% was much better than Ryan's and like I said, the Bears KNEW that Rodgers was passing. He also had a much better passer rating and the pick he threw in that game was on a Hail Mary before halftime. Rodgers didn't have a true turnover in that game. Ryan had two that both led to Bears points. Stop with the excuses. The Falcons didnt score an offensive TD today. Rodgers had two TDs in that game. He threw for a TD and ran one in. That comparison was absolutely terrible. Just because the yardage totals were similar doesn't mean the performance was. Again, Rodgers had a much better completion% and QB Rating.

The Bears definitely tend to slow him down but Rodgers career QB Rating against the Bears is higher than Matt Ryan's career QB Rating period. So on average Rodgers plays better against the Bears than Ryan does on average against all teams. Enough with the excuses.

Everyone hates on Ryan, but he is tied with just one only QB in history in wins their first 3 years.....DAN MARINO. His success has spoiled us into thinking that winning is a rite of passage when we still have a year or two until we are beast. He looked downfield, but Chicago prides itself on not giving up the big play get over it that is their motto/creed while ours is bend not break. Every team has a different philosophy depending on their teams skill set give it time.

Because when he starts to light it up with JJ and Roddy people will be all over him and be saying see I told you so.

Yes and Joe Flacco is just one win shy as well, so you have to take that with a grain of salt. Technically Joe Flacco is now tied with Ryan in career wins. So that comparison is a little over the top to put Dan Marino's name in capital letters. Dan Marino didn't start his career with a bunch of All-Pro players on offense and was the sole reason the Dolphins made the Super Bowl back in 1984. At this point in both of their respective careers Marino had already topped 4,000 and 5,000 yards in a season and topped 40 TDs twice. Stop with THAT comparison. Its silly.

Rodgers didn't have an NFL caliber RB in that matchup. The Bears played nothing but pass defense in that game. If the Bears played like they did that day Turner would have had a zillion yards on the ground today. Rodgers was unquestionably better in that game. The INT was on a Hail Mary right before halftime. That QB Rating woudl have been much higher without that meaningless INT. The Packers lost that game because they committed 18 penalties, not because Rodgers was ineffective. Matt Ryan committed two turnovers that led to Bears points. Some of you people need to stop looking at things in a vaccum. Nobody had to defend against Green Bay's ground game last year for like 3/4 of the season. On Thursday you saw what that offense can do when it actually has a running game that needs to be respected.

The key figure is that the Falcons didn't score an offensive TD today. Rodgers always puts TDs on the board against Chicago. The Bears defense is tought but it isn't THAT tough. Not scoring a TD is unacceptable.

So having a running game magically makes it easy to pass the ball? When the Bears got ahead they sold out against the pass because their front 4 could manhandle the offensive line. "Running to set up the pass" is a myth.

I absolutely agree that it is unacceptable to not score a TD, but you can't lay this all at Ryan's feet. His turnovers were killer, but his performance in the pocket otherwise was good.