98 percent of Florida welfare applicants pass drug test - Cost state $178 million

sourdiesal

Ok, I've done the math. It comes out to about $10,000 per test. Very efficient work being done there.

I'd like to volunteer my services to process those test for $5,000 per test.

I'm sure they'd go for it if...

You supplied all of the facilities

Collected, processed and reported all results ACROSS THE WHOLE STATE.

Dont forget, you can't hire anyone to do it for you. This is apparently only giving tests with no other workers. :rolleyes:

You may need to borrow Santa's sleigh, though.

Edited by {Mojo-Risin}

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the reason I know this is because in my youth I smoked like a chimney, played in a band, and listened to (and played) hippie music all day. Occasionally I had to get a part time job to support my lifestyle and learned how to beat the tests. It's not hard.

The tests where they send you down to the lab and have someone watch what you do?

and for the record, drinking lots of water or taking herbal supplements isn't going to do it.

He did lol...

I think quite a few people taking the drug test probably used part of their previous welfare check to take a trip to GNC.

I've told this story on here before but it's still funny...

My brother-in-law used to occasionally partake of some weed... He was interviewing for a new job and they asked for a drug test. Knowing that he could fail the pee test, he goes to his friend (who also partook) and asked where he could find some 'clean' urine. The guy convinces his 17 year old daughter to pee in a container and give it to my brother-in-law so she does. My brother-in-law goes through great trouble to bring the container of his friend's 17 year old daughter's pee into the bathroom where the pee test was. He even had it pretty much strapped to his body so it would be 'body temperature' when he delivered it. He even accidentally spilled some on his clothes in the process... :lol: So he finally pours the 17 year old friend daughter pee into the drug test pee cup, carefully cleans everything up, and hands over the cup. Then he gets a call a few days later that said "Sir, I'm afraid your urine tested positive for COCAINE". Needless to say he didn't get the job. He tells his friend who in turn asks his daughter "Honey, do you do cocaine?" She's like "Nope" and that's the end of it... :lol:

Great story. I just heard another one. This one girl who was doing drugs and babysitting put the baby in the microwave instead of the casserole!ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because you hang around drug users steve, doesn't mean all welfare recipients do.

GNC Preventive Nutrition® Advanced Complete Body Cleansing

pGNC1-10695568t300x300.jpg

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11815416&ab=CMS:CATEGORY:CMS:3:CLEANSING

Go smoke some weed, take some of that crap, and get back to me on how much that stuff saved you. Here's the answer, it won't.

Anyways, I lived in northwest Georgia for about a decade earlier on in life. The place is more or less a giant trailer park full of welfare rednecks. Not saying they're all like that, but the place is a haven for drug addicts on welfare. I'd say that in some places, I am almost certain that 96-98% clean is not what you'd find everywhere.

My understanding is that the 178 million dollar figure has nothing to do with the drug testing, but the total amount the state of Florida spends on welfare yearly.

As for the cost of testing, using the numbers(small sample) from the ACLU's website: http://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-reform/told-you-so-floridas-new-drug-testing-policy-already-costing-taxpayers-more

40 applicants in one office were tested, 38 passed. So the 2 failures amounts to 5% failure rate.

The 38 that passed were reimbursed the 30 for testing at a cost of $1,140. The 2 that failed saved the state $240 a month, over the course of a year it saves the state $2,880, or a net savings of $1,740. That's just in the one location. If EVERY month, they had the same situation, they would spend $13,680 in reimbursement. They would save $34,560. Like I said, this is a small sample(but it's the sample given).

Am I missing something here? How is the state losing money?

From what I've read though, current recipients are not being tested, and applicants know that they are being tested. So you have those that will try and take something to pass the test, as well as those who will just wait until their system clears out before they apply.

I'd be interested to see how many applicants they had per month before the testing, and since. I also think that in order for testing to be effective, it would have to test current recipients as well as test for masking agents.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these numbers. The 178 million dollar cost just doesn't add up.

Some hypothetical math:

If the cost of welfare in Florida is 178 million dollars. And the average recipient receives only $240 a month, or $2,880 a year. That would mean there are approximately 61,000 recipients in Florida. Let's assume for a moment that the 5% failure rate were to apply to current recipients, that would lead to 3,050 failed tests.

The cost of testing 61,000 people would amount to $1,830,000(at $30 a piece).

The savings from the $3,050 who would now go without benefits for at least a year would be $8,784,000 a year. After the cost of reimbursement, the state would save about $7 million a year. A savings of about 4%.

That's assuming the benefits amount to only $240 a month. I would guess it exceeds that.

No. They did not spend $178 million to save $40k. The welfare program itself is projected to cost $178 million so the saving is $40k from $178 million.

Not really. The post you replied to is factually incorrect. The savings aren't what they would like but it's a start and since they have ONLY tested 1,500 people, the numbers are not all in.

By Jenee Desmond-Harris, The Root.com - Thanks to Florida Gov. Rick Scott's insistence that people on welfare use drugs at a higher rate than the general population, the state's Legislature implemented a policy earlier this year requiring all applicants for temporary cash assistance to pass a drug test before getting any help.

The results: Ninety-eight percent passed. And the process will cost the state $178 million.

all i have to go on is the article.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/florida_state_spending.html#usgs302a

i don't know a thing about the credibility of the source as it's the first one to come up in google under florida welfare spending, but this website puts florida welfare spending at 7.0 billion for 2011. state and local government welfare spending was 10.1 billion, according to this site.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2011/08/25/drug-testing-welfare-recipients-in-florida-isnt-saving-florida

It turns out that welfare recipients have some of the lowest rates of drug use among Florida's population (the Office of National Drug Control Policy says 8.13 percent of Floridians older than 12 use drugs) — which makes sense. If you're so broke you need government assistance, you probably don't have money for drugs.

huh, imagine that.

• 2 weeks later...