98 percent of Florida welfare applicants pass drug test - Cost state $178 million

sourdiesal

Just one more thing...

*hands out award for Best Use of a Semantical Argument as a Red Herring for the 3rd year in a row

Now we're done here....

Is it a red herring? Or are you just making a gross exaggeration without any proof when you said "Rick Scott was the owner of the Drug Testing Company btw. So he basically just got a big ******* check from the tax payers in florida?"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a red herring? Or are you just making a gross exaggeration without any proof when you said "Rick Scott was the owner of the Drug Testing Company btw. So he basically just got a big ******* check from the tax payers in florida?"

The Palm Beach Post reported in an exclusive story two weeks ago that while Scott divested his interest in Solantic in January, the controlling shares went to a trust in his wife's name.

Okay his wife got the big ******** check... He's married to his wife...

You're a good guy Dave but you're pretty much trolling at this point....

The Palm Beach Post reported in an exclusive story two weeks ago that while Scott divested his interest in Solantic in January, the controlling shares went to a trust in his wife's name.

Okay his wife got the big ******** check... He's married to his wife...

You're a good guy Dave but you're pretty much trolling at this point....

Let me rephrase -- is there any evidence his wife, or a trust she owns, or the company Solantic, made one red cent off of this law.

You're assuming they did, but there is nothing in that article that actually says "Solantic is doing the drug testing for welfare recipients." None at all. It's an assumption on your part.

I'm not saying they aren't -- I want to know if there is EVIDENCE that they are. I know you THINK they are. I want to know if there is any factual basis for your opinion on the matter.

That's all. It's not trolling. It's not semantics. I seriously want to know.

I think it was a made up number.

I'll just speculate here:

The test itself costs $30. They also have to pay people to administer the tests, check the results, verify the results, keep track of all the paperwork, update computer systems to include new drug testing information, coordinate times, office spaces, etc.

So there are probably many more costs than just the $30 per test. Unless they're just handing the tests to the welfare recipients and saying, "let us know how it turns out!"

The test itself costs $30. They also have to pay people to administer the tests, check the results, verify the results, keep track of all the paperwork, update computer systems to include new drug testing information, coordinate times, office spaces, etc.

So there are probably many more costs than just the $30 per test. Unless they're just handing the tests to the welfare recipients and saying, "let us know how it turns out!"

i'm sorry, i know 178 million US dolla billz lost isn't funny, but LMAO! @ the bolded.

FTR, I still don't know how all that would get you to $178 million.

The $30 pays for the administration of the test for all the aspects in your first paragraph, except for updating gov't computers with a field notating a positive or negative test result, and any related forms.

And I don't doubt that there are additional costs involved beyond just the test itself, but there isn't a fathomable amount of administration that would reach $177.5 million in a fiscal year to implement.

Help me out here, would those be state employees or private? If they are state employees it's possible those people would have been getting paid anyway...

It's kinda like adding military salaries to the Iraq or Afghanistan war costs that we would have been paying anyway.

military people who are deployed to war get all sorts of extra pay, and absolutely rightfully so and they deserve it. they don't pay federal taxes, get combat zone pay, hardship pay, etc.

Of course you do.

Extreme numbers for Democrats trying to provide for the needy? Must be true.

Extreme numbers for Republicans trying to invalidate welfare recipients? Made up number.

Or perhaps it has nothing to do with partisanship, and is simple mathematical possibility.

And for what it's worth, I think it's a stupid idea in the first place. I would rather "invalidate" welfare recipients by requiring greater validation of employment, income, and responsibility efforts.

Correct and I agree with that. But many cost estimates had factored in their base pay too. Not to sidetrack the issue but you get my point about the drug tests.

fair enough.

here's the cnn article from June when this first came up:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/08/florida-to-charge-welfare-applicants-to-take-drug-test/

notably:

Scott recently told CNN's TJ Holmes, "I want to make sure our taxpayers are not subsidizing drug addiction.

"Studies show people who are on welfare are higher users of drugs than people not on welfare," he said.

now i wonder how the Governor will respond when reality is not matching his beliefs.

I don't think the 98% necessarily represents reality. There are plenty of ways to trick drug tests.

Clearly, your bigoted opinion does not better represent reality than the actual results of drug testing. But let's not pretend that you have any concern for or contact with reality.

In the military they have surprise drug tests where they could just pull you aside out of the blue and test you. That method is far more effective. Military people are even afraid to be in the same room as someone smoking a J because they're worried it might show up as a blip on their random test.

Look at this small, limited government at work.

I don't think the 98% necessarily represents reality. There are plenty of ways to trick drug tests.

Steve ignoring facts when they in the way of his conclusions? This has never happened before.

Edit: How much time do you think Stobby spends every day hopping between his alternative accounts to neg people? Furthermore, how silly is it that he does for people he's supposedly ignoring? Grow a pair.

Ok, I've done the math. It comes out to about $10,000 per test. Very efficient work being done there.

I'd like to volunteer my services to process those test for $5,000 per test.