Sorry guys. I think it is still Franks/Owens' job to lose

Finally

I know you are all going icky-balookey but I have a feeling that developing our younger talent is the priority for right now.

Hayden has to learn the defense and he has not been durable in his last 3 years. I am willing to bet he is an insurance policy for later in the year if Franks or Owens do not step up.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you are all going icky-balookey but I have a feeling that developing our younger talent is the priority for right now.

Hayden has to learn the defense and he has not been durable in his last 3 years. I am willing to bet he is an insurance policy for later in the year if Franks or Owens do not step up.

It might be theirs to lose, but they are probably going to lose it.

Yeah, but our depth just went through the roof.

Halfway through the season, we are gonna be deep and healthy (hopefully).

A huge improvement to what we went into the past few seasons with.

I think Franks lost it. He didn't look good in any of the preseason games. Only had good plays as a punt returner. Owens didn't show any Green Bay hangover like the fans have. 1 TD on a blown assignment but nothing after that after 2 and a half games. If Franks doesn't have it by now, he won't get it by Sept 11

I hope not. With limited picks we need one of them to step up and be a long term solution.

Even if they don't keep it this year, it doesn't mean one of them can't take it next year. Now, if neither gets it this year, I'd say the only one with a chance next season would be Franks as he still would have time to develop. Owens would be out of time, I'd guess.

Even if they don't keep it this year, it doesn't mean one of them can't take it next year. Now, if neither gets it this year, I'd say the only one with a chance next season would be Franks as he still would have time to develop. Owens would be out of time, I'd guess.

The best way to learn the game is to play the game.

I think Franks lost it. He didn't look good in any of the preseason games. Only had good plays as a punt returner. Owens didn't show any Green Bay hangover like the fans have. 1 TD on a blown assignment but nothing after that after 2 and a half games. If Franks doesn't have it by now, he won't get it by Sept 11

The problem is I think Owens has hit his ceiling and it it too low. That may be true of Franks too but I would keep trying to bring him along.

I said in a previous post that I am not totally sold on Hayden. I think he was a good pick up, but he was on the market for a long time. I wonder if it was due to his slacking play, neck injury or asking to much money. But he is a vet that I felt we so badly needed. Only time will tell. ALthough Owens has been the butt of alot of my jokes, I hope he steps it up and plays the way I know he can. Maybe this acquisition will light a fire under Owens and Franks azzes.

I happen to agree with ya, Finally. I don't know that he's an insurance policy for not working out, though. I think he's seen as a stable vet who can play in the event we lose someone. I think Franks will be the NB and Owens will be the DB so long as everyone remains healthy.

...I'm very glad we have that insurance policy, though.

The problem is I think Owens has hit his ceiling and it it too low. That may be true of Franks too but I would keep trying to bring him along.

I agree that Owens is closer to his ceiling but not hit it yet. I always said he had a low ceiling and high floor. But neither are getting cut. Right now, Owens is outplaying Franks whether you like it or not. Franks, although the more potential impactful player, is just not ready yet. He was awful in every game. Owens had one bad play. Franks had too many. I figured they would rotate the two but not anymore.

I agree that Owens is closer to his ceiling but not hit it yet. I always said he had a low ceiling and high floor. But neither are getting cut. Right now, Owens is outplaying Franks whether you like it or not. Franks, although the more potential impactful player, is just not ready yet. He was awful in every game. Owens had one bad play. Franks had too many. I figured they would rotate the two but not anymore.

Oh, I don't like it or dislike it. I don't care who wins the job. I would prefer it if it is one of the two but if Hayden is the best answer so be it. I am closer to giving up on Owens than Franks but I am not for or against either one.

I completely disagree. Kelvin Hayden will definitely get the job. Sure, he might need to learn the scheme, but he'll have the job.

So we cut Norwood for missing games in the last 3 years but we are going to bank on Hayden? You might be right but I think he is an insurance policy.

Call me Crazy but I think Owens gets the Nod to start the season and I also think he'll be hard to push off the field once he starts getting a little swagger. However, if he goes down or screws up he won't see the field again unless he's wearing a different teams uniform. With the pickups at DB he knows this now.

Game on.

I'm pretty sure Crisp has already lost his job. He lost the LCB job to Grimes in 2010.

Got lit up in 2010 as a sub.

When Dunta goes down in preseason Franks is started, not Crisp.

When it's time for nickel defense, Franks goes to nickel.

Nickel on this team is a hybrid CB/LB position. Crisp is not close to a LB.

Both of em have sucked so far though.

I have to believe Hayden was brought in to sit one of them down.

If/when Dunta gets back good bye to one or both.