Sanders signs

Jeff_Hawkins

I dunno, cats got good stats and we sign a safety after DeCoud gets burnt? lol At the very least it better light a fire under DeCoud.

Stats don't mean much to me in the secondary. It's how well he plays. Regardless, there has to be a cut made before this move is officially processed. Chauncey anybody? (or Shann)

Edited by Jeff_Hawkins

Stats don't mean much to me in the secondary. It's how well he plays. Regardless, there has to be a cut made before this move is officially processed. Chauncey anybody? (or Shann)

Playing well typically leads to good stats. :unsure:

I feel like if Chauncy was going to be released, they'd do him a favor and do it today so he'd have time to get on with another team. I'm thinking they either restructure him or, God forbid, keep him at that price to keep his best friend Babs happy :(

I feel like if Chauncy was going to be released, they'd do him a favor and do it today so he'd have time to get on with another team. I'm thinking they either restructure him or, God forbid, keep him at that price to keep his best friend Babs happy :(

You'd think, but it's hard to quantify the secondary. Look at DeAngelo Hall, a bunch of picks and long returns but takes risks and gets burned regularly.

Yeah I'm thinking it's curtains for Chauncey too. The ONLY thing that makes me think he can last is that he can play some DT in a pinch and with Peters out, it only gives 3 healthy DTs.

You'd think, but it's hard to quantify the secondary. Look at DeAngelo Hall, a bunch of picks and long returns but takes risks and gets burned regularly.

Yeah I'm thinking it's curtains for Chauncey too. The ONLY thing that makes me think he can last is that he can play some DT in a pinch and with Peters out, it only gives 3 healthy DTs.

Here's a snippet from an article with some good stuff about his evaluation.

Going beyond the standard stats, Sanders was undeniably an important part of the Patriots’ defense. According to the analytical site Pro Football Focus, Sanders had great numbers in 2010 when compared to the rest of the New England safeties. Analyst Sam Monson writes that in the regular season, Brandon Meriweather had 897 snaps, Patrick Chung had 805 and Sanders had 790. (Including the playoffs, he dropped even further behind, with Meriweather at 952, Chung at 847 and Sanders at 819.)

However, according to PFF, Sanders had the best coverage numbers of the three last year: Playoffs included, quarterbacks had a rating of 100.7 when throwing at Meriweather, 97.8 when throwing at Chung and just 77.1 when throwing at Sanders. It wasn’t like that came on fewer targets either, as the 36 targets for Sanders was six more then Meriweather with Chung way out in front with 51 (skewed by snaps covering the slot at the “star” position.) He was also beaten for a long of just 33 yards compared to Meriweather and Chung who both coughed up 50-plus yard passes. At just 61.1 percent of targets into his coverage complete, he also topped the three for completion percentage (Meriweather was 66.7 and Chung 70.6 percent).

The safety position has been in a fluid state all summer long, with the Patriots shuffling different combinations in and out of the lineup throughout camp and the first three preseason games. In that stretch, Sanders was mostly sidelined with a hamstring problem — he had only been on the field for four practices before his first preseason game action Saturday night against the Lions.

Sanders agrees to one year deal with Atlanta one day after release

The Atlanta Falcons and free-agent safety James Sanders agreed to a one-year contract on Tuesday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported, citing the player's agent.

Sanders worked out for the Falcons Tuesday after being released by the New England Patriots on Monday. Sanders was drafted by the Patriots in 2005, when Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff was New England's director of college scouting.

Watch preseason games LIVE online in HD. Get the Back to Football special at NFL.com/preseasonlive.

"Tough release there with James Sanders," New England coach Bill Belichick told the Boston Globe Monday. "James has been a good guy to have on this team. A hard-working kid. He really has developed from the time he came to us as a draft choice from Fresno [state] and he’s been a really solid team player for us but we just, part of the move, needed to release people. But he was a tough one."

Sanders was slated to make $2.8 million with New England. He was a full-time starter for the Patriots in 2007 and 2008, and started nine games for them last season, recording 42 tackles and three interceptions.

The Falcons were looking to add experience and depth behind starting safeties William Moore and Thomas DeCoud. The Falcons have a competition at nickel back between Christopher Owens and Dominique Franks, but Sanders has not played the nickel back position.

The Falcons pass defense ranked 22nd in the league last season.

I feel what he's saying. Roy Williams (the Safety) used to have great stats...if you didn't watch him constantly being a liability in coverage you'd have thought he was playing well.

I see what you are saying, Jeff.... That is generally why I do not put much stock in statistics... Stats can generally be subjective.... But the numbers Sanders has put up are the sort of numbers which are rather hard to dismiss...

This is from an article another poster posted yesterday:

from Christopher Price's article @ WEEI.com:

"However, according to PFF, Sanders had the best coverage numbers of the three last years: Playoffs included, quarterbacks had a rating of 100.7 when throwing at Meriweather, 97.8 when throwing at Chung and just 77.1 when throwing at Sanders. It wasn’t like that came on fewer targets either, as the 36 targets for Sanders was six more then Meriweather with Chung way out in front with 51 (skewed by snaps covering the slot at the “star” position.) He was also beaten for a long of just 33 yards compared to Meriweather and Chung who both coughed up 50-plus yard passes. At just 61.1 percent of targets into his coverage complete, he also topped the three for completion percentage (Meriweather was 66.7 and Chung 70.6 percent)."

In my opinion, these stats tell a much clearer story about a player's pass coverage abilities... The difference between the completion % of balls thrown at Sanders as compared to Meriweather and Chung (The Pats top 2 safeties) is huge, as you can see here.... Usually I would dismiss this by assuming that he saw far fewer balls than Chung and Meriweather, but as you can see, that was not the case...

I honestly feel that Sanders just may wind up being our best pass coverage safety on our roster... Of course, it would most likely take at least 4-6 weeks for Sanders to settle in to BVG's scheme enough to compete for the starters job, but looking at these numbers, and knowing how big he played in the playoffs (and I always say that the mental aspect of the game is even more important to DBs), I would not be the least bit surprised to see him beat out DeCoud before the season's end...

Naturally, people do not want to get to excited over a player who was cut by another team... But in today's NFL, there are far more reasons for players getting cut than just ability and performance.... Luckily for us, the Pats are just stacked at the position and have an abundance of young safety prospects that they want to bring along, and I guess they felt that he was making too much money to be their #3 safety...

However, in the Falcons' case, the defensive backfield is certainly not our strongest position... I don't think it is very hard to believe that the guy who was consistently the Pats #2-#3 safety could turn into our starting FS....

Also bear in mind that at 27 years old, he will be hitting the prime of his career right about now....

I still think that a nickle corner is a much bigger concern, but I am extremely stoked about this signing... Worst case scenario, he becomes by far our best backup safety....

Edited by Hoppy™

This is nice to hear from the NESN beat writer about Sanders reliability.

" I don't think the Patriots made the right move of cutting safety James Sanders. If they win the Super Bowl and someone like Sergio Brown, James Ihedigbo or Josh Barrett steps up to play an increased role, then so be it. But Sanders' reliability would have been a valuable asset to the young safety corps."

Linkage