James Sanders

Coleman is a strong safety and Sanders is a free safety.

Malloy SS

Coleman FS

Coleman SS

DeCoud FS

Moore SS Coleman backup SS

DeCoud FS

I think Coleman was mainly a FS that could play Strong safety until Atl moved him in 2009

Edited by delaigle

Erik Coleman asked for his release because he did not want to be a backup safety for us.

Thank you. I don't understand why some people still assume that TD does not put hours upon hours of thought into these moves, and that he just cuts and signs players on a whim... If a move does not make sense on the surface, chances are very strong that we do not have the whole story...

If TD is bringing in James Sanders, it is because he firmly believes that adding Sanders to our roster will make us a better team. It's pretty much as simple as that... That may sound like a "homer" point of view, But any "realist" should possess the intelligence to understand that our GM is "NFL Executive of the Year" because he has done an exceptional job at improving our roster, and he is much better equipped to make these personnel decisions than anyone posting here, regardless of what opinions we might have...

Coleman is a strong safety and Sanders is a free safety.

That's not true at all. Coleman's best years (as a Jet and a Falcon) were at FS. Because of his solid but unspectacular play;he got bumped to the strong position for a seemingly more athletic option( Kerry Rhodes in NY and Decoud here).

The Jets gave his SS position to Eric Smith/Abram Elam, so he asked for a release.

We gave his SS position to Moore, so he asked for a release.

He's the Rodney Dangerfield of NFL Safeties

Erik Coleman asked for his release because he did not want to be a backup safety for us.

Thanks for the info, that is the first time I have heard that from anyone. That makes a lot more sense to me now.

Added -- I've often wonder which is preferred --- starting for an 8-8 team or being a backup on a 12-4 team???

Edited by delaigle