Rate the Offense / Defense.

sharky

I think our offense will be great. I was impressed with the way we moved the ball on Pitt, a top defense, and on the starters.

Offense = B

I think our defense could be top five, but the CB's are gonna have to step it up. I'm really not that concern about Moore and DeCoud b/c once the regular season start they will bring the wood.

Defense = C based on the Pittsburg game only.

offense= B+

defense= B, the two passing TD's allowed by our 1st string against Pitt were because Grimes gambled on the ball....i dont see him doing that twice in one game during the regular season. besides that, i have been pleased by that....

the pressure we have been putting on the QB is a nice change...we got to big ben a few times and our DT's have been playing at much higher level than last year

I agree with your ratings, (B & C).

I don't agree with the defense being top 5. I haven't seen enough to make me think we'll finish that high.

We might but in order to finish in the top 5 you have to be consistent and we've been anything but.

In every pre-season game I've seen us give up explosive plays.... I've seen guys completely lost in the secondary.... Granted not every one of these were with the starting defense but I've been thinking for a few years now that the problem is scheme based.

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

Offense = A

Our first team offense has scored 40 points in under 5 quarters of play. That's averaging around 32 points per game. I don't think it's fair to judge a team based on expectations, because people tend to have unrealistic expectations. On the limited amount of play the starters have seen, they've been very productive and they deserve an A.

Defense = C

The defense gave up way too many big plays against Pittsburgh. They looked stellar in the first two games only giving up 3 points to Jacksonville and Miami combined. Our first team has looked outstanding against the rush. They've also come up with a lot of turnovers. Our goalline also looked outstanding. The problem is that we gave up too many explosive plays Saturday night, and that really hurt our overall defensive outlook. I think this defense has the potential to be good during the regular season with everyone healthy, but I don't think we have the depth should even one player go down with an injury. They have to get an F for the effort against Pittsburgh, but the two A performances against lesser offenses averaged them out to a C for me.

I'll let my homer side answer this.

Offense A - I believe this is the offense that people imagined us having when Tony G came two years ago.

Defense B - Our defense is still very good on 1st and 2nd down, and we have improved some on 3rd down albeit preseason.

i give the offense an A cause in the steelers game i was amazed how open some of the guys were, like roddy said u cant double team dem all,i give the defense a B It will improve if grimes get those 2 picks we r talking differently bout the defense.its goin to a very interesting season hope for a injury free season.GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by turnerdburner

I'd give the offense an A so far. They beat up on the easy teams and hung with the Steelers D. I like it. Give me that bomb to Julio and it's an A+. The OLine will get better as the year wears on but Baker isn't looking to hot.

The defense I would say a solid B-. DRob hasn't been out there and Edwards just got out there. They have looked good, stout against the run and solid vs the pass. The two TDs vs the Steelers we DeCoud's fault in my opinion. Yes, the 76 yarder was due to a poor angle he took. But the 46 yarder he bit on a short route when he had deep middle, leaving Franks vulnerable to getting beat like he did. I don't know if DRob being out there stops that play or not, but I know for sure that Edwards not falling and DeCoud not biting results in a check down. I like the blitz packages and intensity.

30/60 pass plays for 309 passing yards and 16 points is NOT good. The offense did somethings well. TG got the PI call and Ryan missed a wide open HD in the endzone. The offense responded well by moving the ball after quickly getting in the hole 10-0. Otherwise my score would be lower.

Offense: C

If Grimes doesn't gamble on the 2 TD plays, it would've been a different outcome. However on the first one, it seemed to me that DeCoud was watching the play and then took a bad angle. The second TD, again Grimes did all he could to make a play. I was an excellent read on the part of Ben to step up into an empty pocket and hit the WR in the perfect spot. I question the LBs on that second TD. Defense: C

I would rate it like this:

Oline - still scary. Maybe scarier

Ryan - seems better. Start faster, spread the ball and throw a good deep ball

RBs - should be stout

TEs - Gonzo didn't have a good preseason but should be a solid option. Palmer looks good

WRs - lookin really good. All five of em. Even the two practice squad guys

DLine - looking pretty good. Should be much improved

LBs - Spoon looked bad in the PIT game. Still worried about him. Nice depth

Safeties - Good in run defense. Flat out scary in pass defense

CBs - starters should be OK. Nickel and Dime? Oh boy :o

FG Kicker - butta

Punter - Bosher is not bad

KO - Bosher could break our hearts if he can't kick deeper than that

PR - Weems and Franks look awesome. HD can even do it

KR - NFL KR game killed by Goodell and McKay :angry:

Coverage teams - awful so far on kick offs

Coaches - not bad, but need even more improvement

Fans - need a lot of work. Suck so far

I would rate it like this:

Oline - still scary. Maybe scarier

Ryan - seems better. Start faster, spread the ball and throw a good deep ball

RBs - should be stout

TEs - Gonzo didn't have a good preseason but should be a solid option. Palmer looks good

WRs - lookin really good. All five of em. Even the two practice squad guys

DLine - looking pretty good. Should be much improved

LBs - Spoon looked bad in the PIT game. Still worried about him. Nice depth

Safeties - Good in run defense. Flat out scary in pass defense

CBs - starters should be OK. Nickel and Dime? Oh boy :o

FG Kicker - butta

Punter - Bosher is not bad

KO - Bosher could break our hearts if he can't kick deeper than that

PR - Weems and Franks look awesome. HD can even do it

KR - NFL KR game killed by Goodell and McKay :angry:

Coverage teams - awful so far on kick offs

Coaches - not bad, but need even more improvement

Fans - need a lot of work. Suck so far :lol::lol:

Nice break down. I think Franks will win the nickel spot though.

Defense B+

Offense B-

Why?

The defense is very close to living up to its potential and the offense has been solid and decent but nowhere near their potential, imho. This is the reason why I rated the defense as high as I did because they are closer to realizing their full potential; and, while the offense has been excellent, they are only using 6 cylinders of an 8 cylinder HEMI. SO, my grades are relative to each unit's performance measured against their potential, if that makes sense.

Namely, my grades aren't based exclusively on performance but based on how I feel they have played considering that unit's respective ceiling. We have ot keep in mind we've missed D Rob and Edwards.

Edited by JoeSr

I think our offense will be great. I was impressed with the way we moved the ball on Pitt, a top defense, and on the starters.

Offense = B

I think our defense could be top five, but the CB's are gonna have to step it up. I'm really not that concern about Moore and DeCoud b/c once the regular season start they will bring the wood.

Offense = B+ Could improve to an A

Matt Ryan is off to a very slow start this year completing only 50% of his passes so far. Turner is looking a little heavy and a little slower than usual. As a result our red zone offense is not looking good. Jones could be a big help if he lives up to the price Tom D paid for him, but so far he is having a hard time getting open and he and Ryan are missing more than they connect. The loss of Dahl has shown Reynolds is racking up penalties to the point Jackson is being tried out for the position. Runs to the right which used to be are strong suit are not as successful as they used to. Most of the hits and rushes on Ryan are coming thru that RG spot.

Defense = C-

We gave up 24 points in the first half against the Steelers. Our DBs have been beat consistently on setup deep TD passes. The Steelers would have had 31 points if Ben had not missed a throw to a WIDE OPEN WR! John A. is a great DE but his age is showing and we have yet to see if Edwards wil be as good post knee surgery and adjusting to a new team. Are LBs show promise and are probably a B+ or A- but they are young and need experience. Babs is great but Jerry was not a smart move by Tom D.

Defense B+

Offense B-

Why?

The defense is very close to living up to its potential and the offense has been solid and decent but nowhere near their potential, imho. This is the reason why I rated the defense as high as I did because they are closer to realizing their full potential; and, while the offense has been excellent, they are only using 6 cylinders of an 8 cylinder HEMI. SO, my grades are relative to each unit's performance measured against their potential, if that makes sense.

Namely, my grades aren't based exclusively on performance but based on how I feel they have played considering that unit's respective ceiling. We have ot keep in mind we've missed D Rob and Edwards.

Isn't a Ferrai 12 cylinders...LOL.. :D

Offense B (Talent A, Coaching C) Mularkey has got to show me something in the regular season. If I see another game like we played on MNF last year, where we get timid and conservative, especially after the half, I'm going to lose it. I do like how aggressive we looked passing against the Steelers. OL needs to step up in pass protection earlier in the game.

Defense C+ (Talent B-, Coaching C) Run D looks good, Pass Rush improved, Secondary is an absolute nightmare, and it's officially 2 years too late on being addressed. We need depth, better safety play, and the "if only Grimes were 2 inches taller" crap is getting tired. I'm sick as **** of our secondary being a liability. Have we had a secondary in the last 15-20 years?

Offense = B

Offensive Line--B I have seen baker get blown up a few times which led to a turnover or two

RB's--A- Pass protection could be a little better but overall pretty solid

WR's--A Probably the a year away from the best WR's in the NFL need to get a year under julios belt and a full year with Douglas and i think next year we will be easily the gauge for offensive success in this league

QB--Im very very impressed with Matt Ryan....Hes still very young and now that hes got his team in place, I think he gels with these guys and its going to be an amazing decade for these falcons if we can keep the three WR's here for a long time

DEFENSE-- Line B-- I think Edwards will get the job done and im extremely impressed with the DT push ive seen that was non existent last year, ABE also looks the best ive seen him look in a while

LB's B+ Line backers look quick and they get flowing to the ball really well...I expect our run defense to be one of the best, I also think their coverage will be better this year

Secondary---C- Im worried about Franks, Decoud and Hope Owens is truly going to continue playing on this level after the preseason ends....Our need for depth after owens is scary because one injury and we could be in a world of hurt, especially with this years schedule....Hopefully Decoud improves and Franks doesnt have to be counted on and we should be able to survive with this squad

Sure thing. I believe Franks will win that spot b/c I believe Franks is better than Ownens, plus Franks give us another ko/punt returner. I don't know if you agree or not but that's what I believe.

Can you answer this question objectively: Who do you think performed better this preseason?

And Franks return abilities have nothing to do with his play on defense. If that's the case, give me Weems over HD.

Offense: A-.....they moved the ball at will once they got settled, they just didn't finish in the red zone. If this had been a regular season game I would have rated it a C+ cause you gotta finish in the red zone and you can't have so many drops.

Defense F....I cringe everytime it's 3rd down and whatever....I have no confidence we can't get off the field unless the other team gets a penalty.