Explosives plays!

I was looking through the preseason stats on NFL.com and saw that Matt is tied for 5th in passing plays of 20+ yards with 6 behind (Also has 1 for 40+). I think this is pretty encouraging considering that we haven't really been running the bulk of our play book for the entire preseason. Looks like we'll definitely get a good dose of explosive plays this year.

I was looking through the preseason stats on NFL.com and saw that Matt is tied for 5th in passing plays of 20+ yards with 6 behind (Also has 1 for 40+). I think this is pretty encouraging considering that we haven't really been running the bulk of our play book for the entire preseason. Looks like we'll definitely get a good dose of explosive plays this year.

I'm more concerned about the explosive plays we're giving up on the defensive side of the ball.

The offense doesn't worry me.

I'm more concerned about the explosive plays we're giving up on the defensive side of the ball.

I think the O is the last thing on a lot of people list of "concerns" but I think those stats are a good sign for the Offense. Looks like the "explosive" philosophy we've been hearing from the staff is going to manifest onto the field.

I'm not too worried about the D either though. They've looked outstanding against the run and it looks like we're being more aggressive with blitz packages and what not. I'm pretty sure we'll see some big plays from that side of the ball as well.

Grimes gambled on the 2 TDs. Honestly, he couldn't have been more than a few inches away from making both plays incomplete. He was playing the position as he should, knowing that safety help was over the top.

Be very afriad skip bayless just picked us to win the nfc south. I thought he hated the falcons wow!!!!!! It might just be over. :lol:

Yep ...same old same ole ...

I think you guys are letting those passing TD's that got scored in the Pitt game overshadow the body of work that our Defense is. I really don't think they're in as much need of help as everyone thinks. And besides i don't care what team it is, whether we're talking about the defending champions or the Bengals, every team and I mean every team has some area that they are "concerned" with and can improve on.

OK, please let's talk about the original post ...

I saw all three games and I'm really excited, not only about Matt and how poised he is but on the YAC we've seen so far ...

Edited by German Falcon

OK, please let's talk about the original post ...

I saw all three games and I'm really excited, not only about Matt and how poised he is but on the YAC we've seen so far ...

I agree! Matt just impresses me with every decision he makes. Roddy really looks like he's in top notch form even with the long lay off and I wouldn't be surprised if he put up similar or better numbers than last year! I think Julio is going to be great and Harry looks like a new man out there. Combine that with the G.O.A.T at TE and good core of backs who can catch and pass protect with the best of them and I think we are going to see a lot of good things.

Exactly.

After the Jax game, Smith talked how we had given up so many explosive plays and that it was something we needed to work on. And then we come out and give up even more explosive plays to Pittsburgh.

We may be going forward on offense, but defense is looking a bit shaky.

Exactly.

After the Jax game, Smith talked how we had given up so many explosive plays and that it was something we needed to work on. And then we come out and give up even more explosive plays to Pittsburgh.

We may be going forward on offense, but defense is looking a bit shaky.

It's been our achilles for three years now, I see it as a byproduct of a passive scheme ...

Grimes gambled on the 2 TDs. Honestly, he couldn't have been more than a few inches away from making both plays incomplete. He was playing the position as he should, knowing that safety help was over the top.

He should know by now that we lack Safety help...

I think explosive plays are one of the top five keys to winning along with run ball, stop run, win turnover battle and play good special teams.

If we're gonna talk about explosive plays let's talk about as Smitty does. He said explosive plays should be viewed like the turnover ratio. You want to be on the plus side. He deems explosive plays as 20+ runs and passes. I have to think 40+ returns are in there as well.

Where do we stand based on that criteria?

How many explosive running plays do we have? Snelling for 9 or 10 yds.

is all I remember and I don't think that qualifies as explosive, just

very nice. I am not really concerned, but "red flag" it at this point.

Edited by LADBABY

Turner has a handful if runs over 15 yards so far.

According to the team website Turner:

18 carries for 54 yds. 3.0yd. avg. 14yd long

Another interesting thing I found was our most explosive runs are

by Matt Ryan and John Parker Wilson tied at 16yd.

It has not happened for us yet.