I am concerned about The Burner Turner

Jaymadd

Many HBs can look good when the blocking is right. You want a back that can make something happen even without outstanding blocks. If your watching the Raiders game right now, you will see Taiwan Jones making nice runs with very little help.

there are different types of RBs... not all run the same...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only fair comparison we could use is yards per carry (aka productivity).. I doubt you are still willing to make that bet.

If that was true Vick would be the best RB last year with 6.8 ypc. The only thing fair about that comparison is that it's the only you have that stands a chance. He could run 3 times this year and win that. C'mon man... lol

"yards per carry (aka productivity)". You must be a salesman.

Finally

The ground and pound game that we have had to rely on

for these last three years is raking a toll combines with his weight fluctuations is my concern and to me it shows

I usually prefer to wait for something to actually start affecting the team before I worry about it. As long as he doesn't get hurt he should be able to shed those few extra pounds in short order.

So far this preseason we have been so focused on the passing attack Turner has barely touched the ball. I am not sure how much evidence there is to support this apprehensiveness.

Now if you'd like to explain your concern on how we can't seem to contain the most obvious throwing target on the field you'd have me as an audience. Normally I'd say it doesn't matter because it is preseason but since Ward did it to us in last year's regular season game too I don't know if I should applaud his ability or be mad at how inept we still are.

turner has been injured the last two seasons,ancle two years ago, and groin last year which required surgery, which may account for his conditioning. hopefully he is cruising tru pre-season to be healthy for regular season. i do know he runs into blockers alot, but "Itstorm" part of being a great back is vision, he has to know when to bounce it outside. all i know is, i sure hope we have a healthy Turner if we get to the play offs. the man wears on a defense.

the kinda ball we play...we would NOT have been 13-3 last year without Turner. PERIOD. he is a grind it out...punch you in the mouth kinda player and no other RB in the league would fit that roll better than Turner.

how many yards and TD's did he have last year? how many defenders would they put in the box to stop this bowling ball of a man?

open your eyes and realize the truth.

and no way in h.ell we would get CJ for Turner and a 2nd pick like someone stated above :lol:

im more than satisfied with his production. i bet he brings 1300 yards this year with 12 TD's seeing he wont be facing 8 in the box anymore.

My complaint with Turner is with his inability to be the RB who can catch a pass out of the backfield. Defenses load the box with him in the game because they either know it's a run, or they know he isn't getting the ball on a pass. In passing situations, teams load the box and have the pleasure of deciding to blitz, or to double team Tony Gonzalez. Now, things may be different this year, because I think JJ is light years better than MJ12.

Last year, teams could double team Tony and Roddy and not have to worry about MJ12 because he wasn't able to shed the corners most of the time. With JJ, perhaps that all changes. However, as long as Turner cannot catch out of the backfield, defenses will still have an easier time stopping us.

My complaint with Turner is with his inability to be the RB who can catch a pass out of the backfield. Defenses load the box with him in the game because they either know it's a run, or they know he isn't getting the ball on a pass. In passing situations, teams load the box and have the pleasure of deciding to blitz, or to double team Tony Gonzalez. Now, things may be different this year, because I think JJ is light years better than MJ12.

Last year, teams could double team Tony and Roddy and not have to worry about MJ12 because he wasn't able to shed the corners most of the time. With JJ, perhaps that all changes. However, as long as Turner cannot catch out of the backfield, defenses will still have an easier time stopping us.

thats why we drafted Quizz.

I'm not concened about Turner at all. Judging by recent reports neither is Smitty. Turner even had an article the other day saying he's not concerned.

I think the only ones concerned are the Madden boys that want every RB to run a 4.2 forty.

I am concerned about the amount of holes our offense is opening against good defenses. Scary. Walter, Barry and WA31 would have trouble running through those holes.

While turner needs to run harder, it is the preseason. The offensive line regardless of what people say has not played well in any phase of the game. Ryan has been running for his life. Did the protection improve after the intial first couple of drives against the steelers? yes it did but largely in preaseason the o line play has not been good.

Do you know what all five of those guys have in common? All can score from anywhere on the field and can catch the football. Both things turner can't do.

However Turner fits this offense better than any of the top backs because we run a 1994 Dallas Cowboys scheme. We just need a north-south runner to eat up the clock.

I see it the same way. He can still ware on a defense late in a game as well.

I think he's going to surprise us all with his production this year....

He played virtually all of last year with a groin problem and still was at 1300 yds....

Split his carries with Snell and Quizz and we'll see a fresher Turner as the year proceeds.

I agree though with the concerns and disappointment about the shape he has been reporting in the last couple of years....SMH....It's virtually your only job dude.....Step away from the Drake's Cakes and mix a salad in every now and then. :rolleyes:

You know us chi-town boys love our food. **** I myself weight about 270 and am only 5"10". We are spoiled up here because all the food is so good. No excuses of course, I don't intend to justify Turner's weight. Just, for some it's easier, for others it's harder.

Is this more fair? Turner is way bigger than nearly every other feature back.

1 Arian Foster, RB ..............227 lbs

2 Jamaal Charles, RB .........199 lbs

3 Michael Turner, RB ..........247 lbs

4 Chris Johnson, RB ...........191 lbs

5 Maurice Jones-Drew, RB ....208 lbs

6 Adrian Peterson, RB ...........217 lbs

7 Rashard Mendenhall, RB .....225 lbs

8 Steven Jackson, RB ...........236 lbs

9 Ahmad Bradshaw, RB .........214 lbs

10 Ray Rice, RB ...................212 lbs

11 Peyton Hillis, RB ..............250 lbs

12 Darren McFadden, RB ........210 lbs

13 Cedric Benson, RB ...........227 lbs

14 LeSean McCoy, RB ...........208 lbs

15 Matt Forte, RB ................218 lbs

16 BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB ..215 lbs

17 LeGarrette Blount, RB ......247 lbs

18 Fred Jackson, RB .............215 lbs

19 LaDainian Tomlinson, RB ....215 lbs

20 Thomas Jones, RB ............212 lbs

21 Frank Gore, RB ................217 lbs

His speed and agility is better than most guys over 220. Arian Foster and Stephen Jackson are the exceptions, but he runs with more power than those guys. I actually had no idea Foster was that big. What a skill set for a dude that big.

people say this every year about turner. What does he do? get right around or above 1000 yds and double digit touchdowns. he will be fine. Look for snelling and rodgers to be involved more this year then what you would think. Turner is a skinny version of brandon jacobs and turner will need his carries monitored but is he declining i think not.

Michael Turner finished 3rd last year in rushing yards with 1,371 yards rushing on 334 carries.. here is the list of top 10 by rushing yards (player, team, rushing attempts, yards, yards per carry):

1 Arian Foster HOU 327, 1,616 yds, 4.9

2 Jamaal Charles KC 230, 1,467 yds, 6.4

3 Michael Turner ATL 334, 1,371 yds, 4.1

4 Chris Johnson TEN 316, 1,364 yds, 4.3

5 Maurice Jones-Drew JAX 299, 1,324 yds, 4.4

6 Adrian Peterson MIN 283, 1,298 yds, 4.6

7 Rashard Mendenhall PIT 324, 1,273 yds, 3.9

8 Steven Jackson STL 330, 1,241 yds, 3.8

9 Ahmad Bradshaw NYG 276, 1,235 yds, 4.5

10 Ray Rice BAL 307, 1,220 yds, 4.0

----------

now these numbers (pulled from cbssports.com) are great and show that Turner is one of the top rushing backs in the NFL. However, the thing that sticks out to me is the information I will post below this. Every single one of these running backs on this top 10 list, are dual threat running backs. They have amassed top 10 rushing yards, while posting some decent receiving numbers as well..I will post the top 10 "receiving" stats for the RBs below (Receptions, Rec yards, Avg, TD):

1 Arian Foster HOU 66, 604 yds, 9.2, 2 TD's

2 Jamaal Charles KC 45, 468 yds, 10.4, 3 TD's

3 Michael Turner ATL 12, 85 yds, 7.1, 0 TD

4 Chris Johnson TEN 44, 245 yds, 5.6, 1 TD

5 Maurice Jones-Drew JAX 34, 317 yds, 9.3, 2 TD's

6 Adrian Peterson MIN 36, 341 yds, 9.5, 1 TD

7 Rashard Mendenhall PIT 23, 176 yds, 7.3, 0 TD

8 Steven Jackson STL 46, 383 yds, 8.3, 0 TD

9 Ahmad Bradshaw NYG 47, 314 yds, 6.7, 0 TD

10 Ray Rice BAL 63, 556 yds, 8.8, 1 TD

-------------------------------------

As you can see, these top 10 running backs are able to catch the ball out of the backfield as well, which is what makes them so good at running the ball. Michael Turner has no receiving game, which makes it easier for defenses to gameplan against. I just want Turner to catch more passes, forcing the defense to put a body on him on passing plays. One committed body on defense to Turner represents one less body blitzing, or double covering Roddy/Tony.

thats why we drafted Quizz.

I understand that, however, that doesn't fix the issue as Quizz will likely see limited time behind Turner and Snelling. If Quizz is in the game, you could most likely expect a passing play. If Turner is in the game, you can expect either a run, or don't have to worry about covering him because he doesn't catch passes. We need an every down back that can do both.

I am not basing my entire opinion off of the preaseason but micheal turner after his stellar 2008 season. My concern started when dude came into workouts at 260+ pounds. Dude should have come in at tip top condition Period, but I moved on. Micheal turner is not running the same he seems slower and less able to make positive yards unless he has a big hole. I think the only thing that is going to save turners numbers this year is going to be our passing game and the quality wr group we have and Matty ice. I am really glad we drafted Rodgers because frankly turner is losing it. He is hitting the hole entirely too slow . Just my thoughts that I have kept to myself since last year. I just want to hear some opinions whether u agree or disagree.

I'm thinking it's got to do with the groin injury/surgery. He IS slower. Perhaps he's taking it easy. He did rush for 1300+ last year with a 13-3, so I'll wait till after the first game.

For the past 3 years, which player do you think opponents game planned against the most?

I like Ryan and I'm excited we're starting to build a better passing attack, but don't forget who carried us to this point. All they need to do is open descent holes (O-Line gets paid to play the game too), and Turner will break a defense's will. Turner is built like a Rhino, and I've never met a person that likes tackling Rhinos. XD